Home

MLB 09 The Show Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on MLB 09 The Show Demo Available, Post Impressions Here within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #401
Banned

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 09 The Show Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Well, I'm late to the party and didn't bother reading through 40 pages, so here's my impressions...Prepare for War and Peace! (That's for you dorismary...lol):

Like a cocky SOB, I put the game on legend immediately and played as the rRays. I got a hit with Crawford in the first and felt okay about being able to hit (meaning it didn't feel overly hard) and went on to pitch the bottom half. I can tell you, I definitely understand the feeling of having to really concentrate on each pitch.

Also good news (and bad for me...lol) is that the first two hits I gave up were a scorcher down the 3rd base line (that my OF had to chase into the corner) and a double to left center OVER my OF's head (and by a lot too). Loved that it happened on default settings (did not love giving up a run so fast...lol).

Then the beating continued. I got an out, then gave up a walk (I was talking to my wife about her "holy crap that game looks more real every year" comment and suffered for it...lucky for her it was a demo, so it's only a trial separation for now...lol). Now, with a runner on I give up a three run homer and it's 4-0 Phillies.

Okay...rough start. I'm a pro though and buckle down.......

Apparently not enough as I give up ANOTHER blast (this one longer than the first...lol) and am down 5-0. Naturally, Kasmir is to blame more than my horrid pitching, so I go to get the 'pen active. OH WAIT! No management in the bullpen...lol...let the suffering continue.

And it did as in frustration I just sent a fastball down the middle in the old "go ahead, hit another one a$$hole" move. Apparently the CPU AI isn't as smart as SCEA claims it to be as it didn't grasp the concept of reverse psychology...lol.

That's right folks, mister "HOF" is too easy (yeah, I admit it) just gave up back-to-back-to-back homeruns. Yay me...

The rest of the game is much less exciting, I get a K and a groundout to FINALLY end the 1st...lol. I scattered a few more hits around and scored a run (via my own scorcher...this down the 1B line).

Kasmir also settles down and allows just one more hit the rest of the way.

Rays 1 4 0
Phils 6 7 0

Only chance I've had to play and victory shall be mine...lol. Moral of that story is that Legend will apparently require real attention...lol...silly me

Some notes:

-there seems to be a noticeably more "urgent" feel to hitting. Not sure if it's difficulty level related or not.

-Checks swings weren't hard at all to me. You couldn't get away with the real cheapies, but they seemed just fine. I think the IGN staff is possibly reatrded...lol (really, none of them could check swing? Did they even try?).

-The fielders seemed to have more of a weighted feel...meaning they didn't just jerk towards their next animation. I actually felt myself leaning on the L stick while pursuing the ball over my head. really felt like I was chasing (and failing...lol)

-The CPU is much more imposing at the plate (probably legend, I guess). Once I buckled down and actually used strategy, I did fine, but you really feel like each pitch counts and each mistake could be punished (in my case, SEVERELY).

-The breaks on some pitches seemed much sharper. Not really harder to pick up pitches, but harder to pick up breaks. I found myself swinging over/under balls by either misreading the break (and being late) or over compensating (and swinging early) at first.

-Dug the umpire crew, intro, some new commentary, the crowd, and all the little presentational touches I saw (I kinda rushed my game through as I had limited time to play, so I know there's still plenty to see...even in the demo)

-Lighting was phenominal. Loved how it was dusk with the lights on and the gradual transition. I imagine it's a real treat over the course of the game. Top notch.

Anyway...good stuff. I'm looking forward to trying this out a bunch next week (I'm taking the fam to a state park this weekend for a getaway. A little hiking, fishing, relaxing, etc...a great time of year to go in Texas. weather's good and it's much more quite than in the summer...but I digress). I'm sure it will keep me going for a while.

Looks good
I was gonna pm you for your thoughts (where were you ?)
How long did it take you to download ?
Maybe IGN was trying to check on power swing ?
You might also wanna try taking in game pictures that you can use for wallpapers I think theres a thread .
Nice review thanks man !
War and peace quote was meant as a compliment as I type 20 words per minute on a good day lol

Last edited by dorismary; 02-06-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #402
Banned

OVR: 9

Ok guys the game looked pretty good to me, I only play 3 innings last night. I didn't read through the whole thread so this might have been mentioned. Did you guys notice that the pitchers view is closer then last year? I used the outfield view which is much better but harder to see the hand signals from the catcher. I also noticed that when you pitched look at the backstop, people walking are clipping into the backstop( but being the demo I am sure it was fixed). Also my HDTV only outputs 480p, 1080I. I read some posts there there were some frame rate issues when pitching I had them also and I always play on 1080I in 08 will this be fixed? since I can play only in 1080I. Pitching was harder which is good. I struck out alot even on Veteran. I guess I have to get used to the game.

Last note: I liked 08's intro better where they announce the lineup, they shouldn't have taken that out feels like more of a baseball game to me..

Last edited by scott4171; 02-06-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #403
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: MLB 09 The Show Demo Up - Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Yeah, the guys are pumping their chest, lol. Legend was much harder when we played it. Brian has been tweaking away!
oh no....

I can't beat this legend mode.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #404
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

I got through about 30 pages but I have to leave this morning for some errands.

I noticed a couple of people mention it early on but then nothing else.

But is it widespread that the ps3 locks up after leaving the game (like mine) or are there just a few of us having this problem?

Oh and the game...well...I think everyone knows by now. Couldn't be any happier!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #405
DickDalewood

OVR:

I was able to sneak in my first game this morning before I left, and I will summarize the experience as simply FANTASTIC.

Also of note: no problems check-swinging, and zero framerate issues.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #406
MVP

baseball88's Arena

OVR: 11

Here are some of my thoughts about the Demo

It would have been nice to see what the day game looks like to play.
The shoes look alot better with the markings on them.
The pitches are faster than last year.

The faces of the players seem to be better than last year, more detailed. When a player takes off their batting helmet, the hair on the player looks alot better.
I wish we could change the starting lineups in the demo, the final build I'm sure will be alot better. The colors for the teams seem to be alot better and darker this year.
The crowd seems to be alot better this year, more involved and they look alot clearer.

The animations for the outfielders seem to be smoother. Baggy uniforms makes it look more authentic. The cameras seem to be closer this year. The hitting seems to be more realistic this year.

Last edited by baseball88; 02-06-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #407
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Its tough sitting here at work and salivating to play this game. Oh well.

Anywho, in the game I played last night, I roped one down the first base line with Utley that bounced on the chalk and then into the corner, for an easy stand up double and I was thinking about 3, but decided against it.

Not sure why I felt compelled to post that, but I did.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #408
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

my .02$

* rollins hit a 2b into the LF gap....looked/felt so real

* longoria returned the favor with a 2b down the LF line

* lighting...ah lighting.......feel like i got my ole 2k7 lighting system back (and so much more)

* the fans look AMAZING...some in daylight, others in shade...just a seat or 2 away!

* cleaner/more effiecient menu's

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »