Home

Starting a new franchise and found a fun new way to play...

This is a discussion on Starting a new franchise and found a fun new way to play... within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Starting a new franchise and found a fun new way to play...

Maybe other people already do this but here's what I've decided to do and I'm loving it so far. I'm playing with the Tigers and started last night.

It pretty much consists of all simming until the end of the season.

I go and sim half of the games in a month. Then I evaluate how things are going statistically. From there I manage my farm clubs by moving players up and down. I also made a trade already with a few budding triple A players to get a 4th starter and another B potential shortstop cuz I'm thin in those positions.

It was also fun when Porcello got hurt for a few weeks and I called up a AAA pitcher for a few sport starts who was pitching well early on in the season.

So I'm not physically playing many games yet but it's more evaluation, filling holes and building. As I hit the draft, trade deadline, roster expansion, etc. it'll give me more to do. If the race is close down the stretch in September I'll play those actual games.

Sorry for the big post. I'm sure a lot of people already do this but I was excited to get back into this game after I finished a Season w/o franchise mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Starting a new franchise and found a fun new way to play...

I use a similar system, I play one game a week and get heavily involved in being the GM in every way I can. If my team gets to a point that I do not believe the can make the playoffs, I don't play any more games. I have a blast with my Indians and am only in 2013 now but am really looking forward to seeing how far I can get before the new Show comes out. I will have more game time here soon once winter starts so I am hoping to get to 2025
Old 11-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

i play one game per series, but i am thinking of just playing the division games and simming the rest.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 29

Heres another fun way that im doing!

Do a fantasy draft (optional I just like to cuz u dont know where players in real life will end up right now)

but the main thing is to play with your rotation on every fifth start example (162 season)

My Pitching right now is

Felix Hernandez
Jeremy Helickson
Tommy Hanson
Brett Cecil
Edwin Jackson

I play opening day with Felix sim until Helickson plays the next time AFTER his upcoming start which is typically 5-6 days away than I sim again past hansons next start to his following one and keep that going through the rotation.

Basically youre playing around 4-5 games a month and helping stats and streaks, someone on here mentioned this awhile back it was an AWESOME idea!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

I like the drafy idea, I do that in most sports except football. I am curently doing it in NBA 2k11. Drafting lets you build the team the way you want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 10

Crash, this exactly the way I play. Except for the fantasy draft part.

I haven't been playing The Show too much lately though. I tried going back to it one day and played a game where I went up 3 runs. The following inning, the other team hit a 3 run inside the park home run. How? Well the ball decided to roll through the wall and disappear, never to be seen again. I stopped and didn't play for another week.

Now I'm over the fluke and decide to have another go. This time, I'm up five runs when the other team ends up having a seven run inning. I wouldn't have minded it but they scored all 7 the same way. RBI doubles down the third base line. Over and over again. I turned it off and haven't played a game since.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 3

I did this a lot with the Tigers a few months ago.

I was thinking about playing tonight, with Martinez on the team, and filling the hole in RF we have. And play some games like that. I love the aspect of building a team, but in this game it's hard to do.

I have seen too many bad years for great players. When I sim with Detroit, Verlander always has a great year followed up with a 3-15 season with 5.50 ERA or something crazy like that.

I have had Verlander, Lee, Shields, Scherzer, and Porcello in my rotation and had the worst ERA in the league. It's still fun managing the team, but I wish these great players wouldn't have so many off years.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlon
Now I'm over the fluke and decide to have another go. This time, I'm up five runs when the other team ends up having a seven run inning. I wouldn't have minded it but they scored all 7 the same way. RBI doubles down the third base line. Over and over again. I turned it off and haven't played a game since.

Thats rough, this is why I laugh when some people believe mlb10 is better than the previous two.
Unfortunatley im led to make a snap decision when these things happen (doubles down the line) if it looks pathetic (like usual) where the fielder flops on the spot, I just hit pause change teams and make that hitter run into an out. its sad I know but it keeps me from going insane with rage lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »