Home

MLB 12 The Show Hands-On Preview - Play 162 Game Season With Playstation Move

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show Hands-On Preview - Play 162 Game Season With Playstation Move within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: MLB 12 The Show Hands-On Preview - Play 162 Game Season With Playstation Move

1. For someone who never even tried the Move thing last year in Home Run Derby, I'd like some more information. How does this whole move thing work with regards to left handed batters vs right handed batters? Will I have to match the side my batter is taking, or can I just swing left handed for all of them (since I bat far better left handed in real life)?

2. Also does it actually read where you swing, in terms of for location? If I get a low pitch, do I just swing low? Or is there some analog stick on the controller I still need to use?

3. Bacon????
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #26
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 12 The Show Hands-On Preview - Play 162 Game Season With Playstation Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
1. For someone who never even tried the Move thing last year in Home Run Derby, I'd like some more information. How does this whole move thing work with regards to left handed batters vs right handed batters? Will I have to match the side my batter is taking, or can I just swing left handed for all of them (since I bat far better left handed in real life)?

2. Also does it actually read where you swing, in terms of for location? If I get a low pitch, do I just swing low? Or is there some analog stick on the controller I still need to use?

3. Bacon????
1. I don't think the HR derby in MLB11 will be a good example of what Move can do on future iterations of the Show... It was basically a button interface replaced by back/forward movement with Move and not much else. The reason why I'm more enthused now is that the articles mention that it's a vast improvement over the HR derby implementation. Basically left and right doesn't really matter; it was just far to closer movement of the Move controller that triggered a swing. So I'd imagine you can initiate a swing by just moving the controller back and forth right in front of you body. That was MLB11...

2. Yes! Maybe one of those days you should go to BestBuy or something in which you can play the demo of Table Tennis/Sports Champions. I think you'll see why I'm all for move...

3. Here in this forum the talk of the town is how we get served chicken dinner. No bacon.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #27
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
1. I don't think the HR derby in MLB11 will be a good example of what Move can do on future iterations of the Show... It was basically a button interface replaced by back/forward movement with Move and not much else. The reason why I'm more enthused now is that the articles mention that it's a vast improvement over the HR derby implementation. Basically left and right doesn't really matter; it was just far to closer movement of the Move controller that triggered a swing. So I'd imagine you can initiate a swing by just moving the controller back and forth right in front of you body. That was MLB11...

2. Yes! Maybe one of those days you should go to BestBuy or something in which you can play the demo of Table Tennis/Sports Champions. I think you'll see why I'm all for move...

3. Here in this forum the talk of the town is how we get served chicken dinner. No bacon.
Yes...from what I understand...it is much improved in '12 over '11's implementation.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
Pro

etched Chaos's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm hoping you can call your shots like the Babe lol.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #29
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

One reason why introduction of Move is perhaps inevitable is that the Show, with its annual release cycle, needs some "wow" factor to appeal to both repeaters and newcomers.

I remember one of the most shared feelings among reviewers on MLB11 was that the Show has become a bit "stale." I started with PS3 and MLB10 demo right around this time last year, so I cannot really comment on how I'd be feeling a couple years from now, but it seems a lot of people do demand some air of freshness every year.

Yes, there are a lot of things veteran gamers have been waiting for, such as franchise improvement, trade AI logic improvement, etc. And being a sim fanatic, I do enjoy seeing improvements in those areas than some sort of eye candies that really don't affect the core game play... Hardcore people in places like OS would rather see them, and I'm one of them I suppose, but we have to realize that we are only a small fraction of the devs' target customers.

The devs simply cannot put "FRANCHISE OVERHAUL!!!", "OUTFIELDER SENSE OF URGENCY!!" "NEW, VIBRANT GRASS COLOR" on the back of the DVD box and expect random people at BestBuy to get interested, you know what I mean??

I think Move has a potential to add that "wow" factor that people are now demanding from the Show. I want the Show to continue to be commercially successful so that they can eventually get to the core parts like OS people are discussing here... so from that perspective, I don't think you should dismiss Move as a gimmickry move (pun intentionally unintentional).
Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
One reason why introduction of Move is perhaps inevitable is that the Show, with its annual release cycle, needs some "wow" factor to appeal to both repeaters and newcomers.

I remember one of the most shared feelings among reviewers on MLB11 was that the Show has become a bit "stale." I started with PS3 and MLB10 demo right around this time last year, so I cannot really comment on how I'd be feeling a couple years from now, but it seems a lot of people do demand some air of freshness every year.

Yes, there are a lot of things veteran gamers have been waiting for, such as franchise improvement, trade AI logic improvement, etc. And being a sim fanatic, I do enjoy seeing improvements in those areas than some sort of eye candies that really don't affect the core game play... Hardcore people in places like OS would rather see them, and I'm one of them I suppose, but we have to realize that we are only a small fraction of the devs' target customers.

The devs simply cannot put "FRANCHISE OVERHAUL!!!", "OUTFIELDER SENSE OF URGENCY!!" "NEW, VIBRANT GRASS COLOR" on the back of the DVD box and expect random people at BestBuy to get interested, you know what I mean??

I think Move has a potential to add that "wow" factor that people are now demanding from the Show. I want the Show to continue to be commercially successful so that they can eventually get to the core parts like OS people are discussing here... so from that perspective, I don't think you should dismiss Move as a gimmickry move (pun intentionally unintentional).
Couldnt agree more with you Nomo. We are definatley in a minority when it comes to looking for franchise and trade logic improvements. It would appear it is easier to attract new buyers with new gadgets instead of retaining old buyers with improved functionality. I would not have bought MLB The Show 11 because 10 had such horrific trades and free agent issues, but we were all but guaranteed the problems were fixed. Im not buying until the game has been released and I read some reveiws from actual players like you, Nomo. That is the only opinion I will trust at this point.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 24

I also completely agree with you nomo. It's also worth noting that I don't see it as a gimmick - in fact, I'm extremely excited about this Move thing, and can't wait to buy it when I buy The Show 2012 (hint: maybe SCEA should sell a Move + Game bundle?)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3

Sounds awesome...if it works. I'm definitely optimistic that the programmers will get it right. A first person perspective while playing RTTS would be the icing on the cake.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »