Home

Steve Lyons Replacing Dave Campbell in MLB 13 The Show

This is a discussion on Steve Lyons Replacing Dave Campbell in MLB 13 The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Steve Lyons replacing Dave Campbell in MLB 13 The Show!

Yeah, I would give Madden an F in play-by-play. I would give The Show a C+. When you compare the two, The Show is worlds better. Clearly SCEA made some strides for MLB 12 where the commentary would have a few scattered conversational bits in which they talked about a team's 2011 season, offseason trades, etc. That was a small glimmer of what I'd like to see with commentary, but it needs to be present throughout the game in discussion of the game itself and not just a once-per-game thing where it's just a single canned conversation about the team's offseason.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #50
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I've never minded the commentary that much in The Show. It has it's flaws with all of those stupid so called "funny" remarks but I like Matty V a lot. Just as everyone else has said if he showed more emotion it would be way better. Great commentator though. I think Steve Lyons will definitely help out with improving the commentary if it's done properly.

What's funny though is I had a situation like this today:

I hit two homeruns in one inning and after the second one Dave goes "This pitcher is tremendous at not getting rattled and getting his focus back" The pitcher throws two balls and Dave says "What are they doing leaving him in the game. He's so rattled." Mind you it's 3-0 in the 4th inning and he's thrown 50 pitches, not quite panic time yet. I get a base hit in that at bat and he says "boy he must be completely rattled from those two homeruns this inning." Absolutely laughed my a$$ off because of how contradicting every single line was. Pretty bad and no doubt the worst lines I've heard in succession since I began playing in 10.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #51
MVP

crains13's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I've never minded the commentary that much in The Show. It has it's flaws with all of those stupid so called "funny" remarks but I like Matty V a lot. Just as everyone else has said if he showed more emotion it would be way better. Great commentator though. I think Steve Lyons will definitely help out with improving the commentary if it's done properly.
If they could just add emotions, that would be great and make it much more realistic. The commentators don't get excited in the Show as they do in real life. This is a big aspect that I believe would add a lot to the game, especially in clutch moments or in the playoffs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #52
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crains13
If they could just add emotions, that would be great and make it much more realistic. The commentators don't get excited in the Show as they do in real life. This is a big aspect that I believe would add a lot to the game, especially in clutch moments or in the playoffs.
Agreed. I've never understood why they don't add that emotion in the game. Really setting the stage gets you pumped up. I already have moments in this game where I fist pump. I can't even imagine what I would do if I heard Matty V go ballistic after I hit a walkoff. I think I'd cry.

I'm sure people have already mentioned this but a great example is Matty V's calls in game 2 of the Tigers vs. A's series. He went crazy when Cespedes went around the bases all by himself after singling and he went even more crazy when Reddick homered. It would be absolutely awesome if they could get that excitement in the game. Find that separation of early/mid season, late season, and playoff games so that we feel like we have achieved something by getting that far into the season.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK
yea hopefully this is the first of getting all new commentary. Its just too old and stale now. It needs a change and i dont mean just one person. It needs to get a overhaul.
Your opinion has been expressed a million times from a million people. We get it. You need to hear commentary while playing a video game.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #54
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
Your opinion has been expressed a million times from a million people. We get it. You need to hear commentary while playing a video game.
Way to single out one person in this entire thread of people saying the same thing, haha.

I guess the real point that people keep saying is that you can keep bringing in new people (add Hudler, bring in Karros for Hudler, bring in Lyons for Campbell, etc.), but if the "formula" remains the same, nothing ever really changes.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #55
True Ace

Galvatron's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33

What's funny though is I had a situation like this today:

I hit two homeruns in one inning and after the second one Dave goes "This pitcher is tremendous at not getting rattled and getting his focus back" The pitcher throws two balls and Dave says "What are they doing leaving him in the game. He's so rattled." Mind you it's 3-0 in the 4th inning and he's thrown 50 pitches, not quite panic time yet. I get a base hit in that at bat and he says "boy he must be completely rattled from those two homeruns this inning." Absolutely laughed my a$$ off because of how contradicting every single line was. Pretty bad and no doubt the worst lines I've heard in succession since I began playing in 10.
Yeah this is one example of what needs improving with how the commentary is structured. You have lots of recorded lines or "comments" for different situations that are recorded seperately and then thrown together during the course of the game. It doesn't "flow" with the game enough, and is why it comes off sounding disjointed as this example shows. Another example is when Karros says "maybe he'll pitch to him after all", after saying nothing relative to that beforehand...sounds pretty sloppy.

I think this is where the bulk of the work should be focused, making the "comments" consistent and relative to one another during the game. And I think one thing that would help would be to eliminate certain lines like the ones pointed out above, because they don't tie in well enough towards what they're supposedly "seeing". They sound too opinionated, and I think lines like that are too hard to mesh with what should be more game focused banter.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

Last edited by Galvatron; 10-13-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #56
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

The number one complaint that I am reading here is that the commentary is too structured and doesn't flow. The problem with fixing that is that you have a game where there is a limited amount of lines available and many different ways a game can play out. Think about it: is a home run by a player (like Cespedes in an example above) in the first inning of game 14 of the season as important as a homer by the same player in the closing games of the Divisional Series? How do you take emotion from the recording booth and translate that into the game knowing that you have such a limited space to work with?

That's the problem with games today, and it's going to continue to be a problem as long as you a) have real life announcers in games who have limited time to do commentary, and b) have so many variables in varied types of games.

The current guys are great considering that there are limitations as to what can be done with the commentary. Unless SCEA is holding something back from us (and I wouldn't count on it considering that the last change yielded the same type of commentary), we are going to have the same issues as before.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »