Home

Whats with the abundance of ****ty umpire calls

This is a discussion on Whats with the abundance of ****ty umpire calls within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #33
Rookie

Kentucky_Gentleman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Whats with the abundance of ****ty umpire calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I think the main problem in terms of balls and strikes is the lack of consistency from batter to batter. Everyone says it's realistic, but it's not. Yes, every umpire has a different zone and it changes from game to game, but not so much batter to batter. In this game, you can get one call 1 inch off the plate for a strike, then the next 3 called balls, then the next 2 called strikes. In real baseball, umpires are a little more consistent from pitch to pitch.

Honestly if you watched Angel Hernandez tonight, you would see this is pretty realistic for him. He was awful tonight. Reminded me of the game.
Luke 1:37
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #34
Rookie

fakingmysuicide's Arena

The problem with variable calls isn't the amount of calls that are wrong but the inability to get hits out of the strike zone. Umps should have a wider strike zone missing more calls off the plate while the batter should be able to reach with pci further than it can now. Guys like Vernon Wells and Panda bear Sandoval have decent averages on zones outside the strike zone. This years version is better but it is very difficult to get solid contact if the ball is even an inch out of the zone. I think wider strike zones would be a very nice element in this game and really make you think about what pitches you decide to take with two strikes, just like IRL.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakingmysuicide
The problem with variable calls isn't the amount of calls that are wrong but the inability to get hits out of the strike zone. Umps should have a wider strike zone missing more calls off the plate while the batter should be able to reach with pci further than it can now. Guys like Vernon Wells and Panda bear Sandoval have decent averages on zones outside the strike zone. This years version is better but it is very difficult to get solid contact if the ball is even an inch out of the zone. I think wider strike zones would be a very nice element in this game and really make you think about what pitches you decide to take with two strikes, just like IRL.
You can reach outside of the strike zone in 08 for sure. Less so every year since then.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #36
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kccitystar
More like Angel Hernandez-like.
That guy does quite a few Cards games, boy I hate that guy.

- Rick Wise
Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #37
Legend

KHarmo88's Arena

OVR: 55

I've had some really bad, iffy calls but I love it. Just a part of the human nature of the game!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #38
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
I think the main problem in terms of balls and strikes is the lack of consistency from batter to batter. Everyone says it's realistic, but it's not. Yes, every umpire has a different zone and it changes from game to game, but not so much batter to batter. In this game, you can get one call 1 inch off the plate for a strike, then the next 3 called balls, then the next 2 called strikes. In real baseball, umpires are a little more consistent from pitch to pitch.
I agree with this. I can throw the exact same pitch consecutively and have it called a ball one time and a strike the next.

Yes real umpires make a lot of mistakes, but their mistakes are fairly consistent throughout a game, and even throughout a year. One umpire will call a lot of outside strikes all the time, another won't.

In The Show the "variable umpire" settings feel more like "variable coin flip"
Old 05-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I agree with this. I can throw the exact same pitch consecutively and have it called a ball one time and a strike the next.

Yes real umpires make a lot of mistakes, but their mistakes are fairly consistent throughout a game, and even throughout a year. One umpire will call a lot of outside strikes all the time, another won't.

In The Show the "variable umpire" settings feel more like "variable coin flip"
Exactly. Yes, there are umpires like Angel Hernandez who are inconsistent throughout entire games, but for the most part, most umpires tend to call outside pitches either strikes or balls for the entire game. In The Show, it seems like a dice roll. I'd even go as far as saying that a certain call may go a certain way depending on the current situation (i.e. you're winning or losing, men on, etc.). A lot of those calls seem to go against the user when you have a big lead or have runners on first and second with less than 2 out. I could be imagining this though.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #40
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
In The Show, it seems like a dice roll. I'd even go as far as saying that a certain call may go a certain way depending on the current situation (i.e. you're winning or losing, men on, etc.) I could be imagining this though.
Reaching at this point, sounds like baseball to me. Calls are magnified in those situations but nothing out of ordinary throughout game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »