Home

Have Fun / Default Sliders / Sim Stats / Play 162 Games Quick / Have More Fun

This is a discussion on Have Fun / Default Sliders / Sim Stats / Play 162 Games Quick / Have More Fun within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1

This thread is meant to give people a way to play a full season in a very short period of time. Its focused on getting the most out of the game, while giving you an enjoyable and timely experience. In order for this to work to it's full potential, I highly recommend you follow the process that I did. Obviously everyone plays a little different, and has different preferences, but I cannot guarantee you'll get the same results as me if you don't do the things that I did.

Here are some key features to the this style that I will go into more detail about:

Quick Counts
Analog, NO STRIDE Swing
Veteran Hitting
Meter Pitching
HOF Pitching
Default Sliders (except hook at 3)
Quick Manage Every Game
30 Team Control (not mandatory)

Quick Counts: Lets you get through games much quicker. Allows for more Walks and Strikeouts. Allows more variety in at bats. See Veteran Hitting description below for more about why I use quick counts.

Analog, no stride swing: This swing mechanic brings me back to the days of MLB 2K, but that is not why I use it, I use it because of the PCI. The PCI for analog is very similar to directional hitting but better IMO. With directional the PCI just stays dead center, always. Due to this, every time you get the same exact swing timing and same exact pitch location as a previous pitch, you get the same exact result. This is because the PCI is always in the same spot. This isn't the case for Analog. The PCI actually moves around pitch to pitch and has a lot to do with the players ratings. This is also why I don't use zone hitting, it doesn't have anything to do with ratings.

Veteran Hitting: Works really well with Quick Counts. You get really good pitchers hitting the corners and still throwing some hittable pitches. You get bad pitchers throwing a lot of hittable pitches. But a lot of times you may come up having to protect because of quick counts, so some of those things don't matter. You also aren't getting very many at bats a game, so a couple more meatballs than normal won't effect stats, and will make the game much more enjoyable. See Quick Manage description below for more details.

Meter Pitching: HOF pitching is not very forgiving so Meter is perfect. With good pitchers it seems a little easier to hit the sweet spot on the meter and their balls are a little less hittable when left in the zone. At the same time, for bad pitchers, it may be a little harder to hit the sweet spot and their pitches may be a little more hittable. But either way, wether you have a good or bad pitcher, if you're hitting the sweet spot you're gonna pitch well. If you're not, no matter who's pitching, you're probably going to struggle. This really works well with Quick Counts, and especially Quick Manage.

HOF Pitching: Makes the CPU way more dangerous. If you leave balls in the zone to good hitters, you will get hit. But at the same time, if you're hitting your spots, you can get anyone out with any pitcher. It makes for a really nice balance, and really nice ebbs & flows.

Default Sliders: I play on full default, everything at 5, except for two things. Injuries on 6 and I start every game with CPU Manager Hook at 3. If I quick manage and its a blowout early, I'll leave it at 3 for the whole game. But if it's a close game, as soon as the starter is pulled, I bump it up to 7. If I'm still in quick manage when the starter is pulled, I'll jump in immediately, change the slider to 7, and then either take an at bat if I want, or go back to the pause menu and back to quick manage. For simulating to my next game, and for trades I use Mike Lowe's suggestions. I Only change the 3 CPU Pitching categories (2 Staminas, and Hook), everything else still at 5. Here's his thread....http://www.operationsports.com/forum...7-sliders.html .... You don't necessarily have to do this, but to get the best sim stats for the rest of the league I do suggest doing this. An easy way to do is just create two slider saves. Load in the regular sliders before each game. As soon as the game is over load your "sim sliders" and simulate to the next game. Reload your regular sliders and start your next game. Rinse and repeat for all 162.

*QUICK MANAGE*: Most important part for playing a season quickly and accurately is Quick Manage. I always start every game by going into quick manage. Some games I may quick manage the entire thing, some games I may hop in during the first inning and then end up quick managing the rest. But I would say a majority of my games I hop in and out throughout the game. I usually like to hop in when I have guys in scoring position to see if I can drive them in. As well as when the CPU has runners in scoring position to see if I can get out of it. But sometimes I just let it play out and see what happens. Either way I'm always still managing, still working the bullpen. I would say out of the 162 games I played some part in about 150 of them. May have fully quick managed about a dozen. I ended up hitting 238 HR on the season and I would say I had about 50 of those or so. You have to remember that out of those 150 games, some games I may have only participated in 3-5 actual at bats, just trying to effect the outcome if I could while only playing for 2 minutes that game.

30 Team Control: This definitely is not necessary but I liked doing it so that I could change the CPU's batting order when I played a team in my division who I knew always used a certain lineup against us. Also it helps alot, alot, alot in the postseason. The CPU will use 4-5 starters during the postseason when most teams use 4 max and sometimes 3. This way you can keep moving the pitchers around in the rotation so that their bad pitchers never have to pitch. A good example of this is in the world series. Most teams will pitch their #1 guy in games 1,4, and 7. The CPU would never do that. If you do decide to do 32 team control you can set all other 31 teams besides yours to BEGINNER in settings. Just make sure that the BEGINNER settings have everything set to AUTO, except for Rotations/Lineups set to MAUAL. This way the CPU still controls all other facets of the team and you can still change the rotation and lineup. I know this may be kind of confusing if you've never done it before, so if you have questions about how exactly to do it, I can get more specific. Just ask.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about this set up. Below are my stats from the first full season with these. Enjoy!

Last edited by tc020791; 04-30-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
MVP

tc020791's Arena

This was the most fun I've had playing a season of the show. I've never finished a full season, let alone in 2 weeks. I started a little after OSFM came out and finished a few days ago.

I was Baltimore and I finished tied for 1st in the AL East with Boston. In the top of the 8th inning of the tie breaker game, I hit a 3-R HR with Chris Davis when I was down 2 and we won the game to secure the Division. It was a great game to say the least.

In the ALDS I was facing SEA who was the #2 seed and I was #3. I ended up wining the series in game 5. I hit an 11th inning HR with Manny Machado that would give us the win. Fantastic series. Every game was close.

In the ALCS I faced the #1 seed Cleveland Indians. After going down 2-0, I came back to win the series 4-2. And move on to the World Series. Once again every game was close.

I would face the New York Mets in the World Series. Though I was able to get 3 wins somehow in the series, the Mets totally dominated me. I won my 3 games by a total of 4 runs. They won all 4 of their games by atleast 4 runs. The final one coming game 7, a 10-5 win for the Mets.

Though we didn't put up much of a fight in game 7 it was still a great season. Here are the end of the regular season stats.

2017 BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Last edited by tc020791; 04-29-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Have Fun / Default Sliders / Sim Stats / Play 162 Games Quick / Have More Fun

If I wanted to just do quick manage through the season, and never actually get in all the games, and just get accurate results, what slider adjustments would I need to make?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
MVP

tc020791's Arena

Re: Have Fun / Default Sliders / Sim Stats / Play 162 Games Quick / Have More Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator23
If I wanted to just do quick manage through the season, and never actually get in all the games, and just get accurate results, what slider adjustments would I need to make?

I would suggest still starting with hook at 3, jumping in and turning it to 7 when the starter is pulled. Then go back to pause menu and continue to quick mange. Then use Mike Lowe's 3 sliders for the pitchers to sim. Off the top of my head, I believe it is CPU Starter Stamina 10, CPU Reliever Stamina 0, and Hook at 7. You should check his thread though to make sure. I keep everything else at 5.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc

32 Team Control[

who ya got there, the expos and senators?
not serious, just giving you the biz

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
MVP

tc020791's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
[/b]
who ya got there, the expos and senators?
not serious, just giving you the biz

Haha so used to Madden, thanks for the catch!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

How do you rate the quick manage system? Only played a few but seemed like a lot of hitting...all my Ps have terrible ratios

Did at least Britton or Brach for your team finish with realistic stats?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
MVP

tc020791's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator23
How do you rate the quick manage system? Only played a few but seemed like a lot of hitting...all my Ps have terrible ratios

Did at least Britton or Brach for your team finish with realistic stats?
As you can see above I was 22nd in ERA which is perfect for the O's IMO. As far as individuals go, here are some numbers:

Best Starter - Wade Miley - 33 GS - 3.84 ERA - 1.34 WHIP - 15 QS - 26 HR
Worst Starter - Gausman - 32 GS - 5.03 ERA - 1.56 WHIP - 12 QS - 35 HR

Relievers:

Nuņo - 47.0 IP - 2.87 ERA - 1.36 WHIP - 6 HLD - 1 HR
Brach - 76.2 IP - 3.05 ERA - 1.23 WHIP - 2/5 SV - 18 HLD - 10 HR
O'Day - 73.2 IP - 3.18 ERA - 1.00 WHIP - 7/9 SV - 24 HLD -10 HR
Britton - 67.0 IP - 2.55 ERA - 1.24 WHIP - 37/42 SV - 5 HR
Neshek* - 91.0 IP - 2.55 - 1.03 WHIP - 30 HLD - 10 HR
Wood* - 128.1 IP - 3.58 ERA - 1.30 WHIP - 18 HR

Acquired Both via Trades at the Deadline

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »