Home

Custom Gameplay Entry question

This is a discussion on Custom Gameplay Entry question within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2024, 02:59 PM   #9
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Custom Gameplay Entry question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
What was your CGE threshold set at? I found that around the Low-Medium setting with a first inning earliest entry I got a nice variety of scenarios and situations throughout the game. You won't get many 1st inning situations even with that Low-Medium setting (as it says, it needs to be bases loaded 0 out for it to give you control THAT early), but as you get later in the game, the importance goes up - that's why you get so many playable late inning situations in close games.

I'm just confused as to what caused the "unengaged" feeling. Did you want to play more? Less? If you want to have your hands on all 162, you need the importance WAY down, like below Low. It'll still jump around, especially in blowout games.

Here's an example of a game I just played with the setting on the highest point of the "Low" range to where it says you'll play all 162. These are the situations it dropped me into. All of the switches from simming to playing and vice versa happened between half innings.

Top 1st (Cubs batting), scoreless, Runner on 2nd, 0 outs. Results: Walk, Strikeout, Sac Fly runner to 3rd, Strikeout

Bottom 1st (Mariners batting), scoreless, Runner on 3rd, 2 outs. Result: 2 run HR, Strikeout

Top 3rd, 2-0 SEA, Runner on 1st, 1 out. Results: Fly out, Fly out

Bottom 3rd, 2-0 SEA, Runners 1st and 2nd, 0 out. Result: Fly out, Fly out, Strikeout

Top 4th - 2-0 SEA Played in full. Nothing across.

Top 5th - 2-0 SEA Played in full. 2 hits, 0 runs

Top 6th - 2-0 SEA Played in full. Nothing across.

Top 7th - 3-0 SEA Runner on 1st, 1 out Result: Strikeout, Strikeout

Top 8th - 3-0 SEA Runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 out Result: Walk, Fly out (critical situation in game log)

Final - 5-0 SEA

You might say to yourself, "that's a lot of at-bats, I might as well have played the whole game" Well, it is, but it's still NOT the whole game, which does save time. And you can probably see the pattern - once the game hit the 4th inning 2-0 the CGE system flagged all of my at-bats while trailing as "important enough to give me control", only making me handle the pitching while trailing when a higher-leverage situation came up. When a solo HR got hit in the 6th inning sim, even my AB's became less important UNTIL runners got on base. Not one situation in this game was even flagged as "Medium" importance - if that gives you an idea of what the slider settings correspond to as far as actual game situations. I suspect the 2nd played AB in the top of the 8th might have been, if that were a "jumping in" point and not brought on by my own walk. Late-game game tying situations often get flagged as higher importance.

That's the sort of engagement I want from this feature, if I'm going to use it. Perhaps not THAT much of all 162 games so I'd likely have the slider a little higher, but it's pretty close.

I feel like a lot of people exploring it maybe don't understand what this feature is capable of doing, so hopefully this example helps explain it a bit. Here's where the setting was for this game:

This is how I have mine set up but I have my importance slider about halfway between Low and Medium. Plenty of opportunities but it's not overdone imo. I feel plenty engaged when I play this way.

My overall setup is a play one game a series and use Custom Entry for the other two. Some times I reverse that. For a 4 game series I either split them or Custom Play 3 games. I'm getting through the season at a good pace but still feel like I'm contributing to the season.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:34 AM   #10
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Custom Gameplay Entry question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
What was your CGE threshold set at? I found that around the Low-Medium setting with a first inning earliest entry I got a nice variety of scenarios and situations throughout the game. You won't get many 1st inning situations even with that Low-Medium setting (as it says, it needs to be bases loaded 0 out for it to give you control THAT early), but as you get later in the game, the importance goes up - that's why you get so many playable late inning situations in close games.

I'm just confused as to what caused the "unengaged" feeling. Did you want to play more? Less? If you want to have your hands on all 162, you need the importance WAY down, like below Low. It'll still jump around, especially in blowout games.

Here's an example of a game I just played with the setting on the highest point of the "Low" range to where it says you'll play all 162. These are the situations it dropped me into. All of the switches from simming to playing and vice versa happened between half innings.

Top 1st (Cubs batting), scoreless, Runner on 2nd, 0 outs. Results: Walk, Strikeout, Sac Fly runner to 3rd, Strikeout

Bottom 1st (Mariners batting), scoreless, Runner on 3rd, 2 outs. Result: 2 run HR, Strikeout

Top 3rd, 2-0 SEA, Runner on 1st, 1 out. Results: Fly out, Fly out

Bottom 3rd, 2-0 SEA, Runners 1st and 2nd, 0 out. Result: Fly out, Fly out, Strikeout

Top 4th - 2-0 SEA Played in full. Nothing across.

Top 5th - 2-0 SEA Played in full. 2 hits, 0 runs

Top 6th - 2-0 SEA Played in full. Nothing across.

Top 7th - 3-0 SEA Runner on 1st, 1 out Result: Strikeout, Strikeout

Top 8th - 3-0 SEA Runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 out Result: Walk, Fly out (critical situation in game log)

Final - 5-0 SEA

You might say to yourself, "that's a lot of at-bats, I might as well have played the whole game" Well, it is, but it's still NOT the whole game, which does save time. And you can probably see the pattern - once the game hit the 4th inning 2-0 the CGE system flagged all of my at-bats while trailing as "important enough to give me control", only making me handle the pitching while trailing when a higher-leverage situation came up. When a solo HR got hit in the 6th inning sim, even my AB's became less important UNTIL runners got on base. Not one situation in this game was even flagged as "Medium" importance - if that gives you an idea of what the slider settings correspond to as far as actual game situations. I suspect the 2nd played AB in the top of the 8th might have been, if that were a "jumping in" point and not brought on by my own walk. Late-game game tying situations often get flagged as higher importance.

That's the sort of engagement I want from this feature, if I'm going to use it. Perhaps not THAT much of all 162 games so I'd likely have the slider a little higher, but it's pretty close.

I feel like a lot of people exploring it maybe don't understand what this feature is capable of doing, so hopefully this example helps explain it a bit. Here's where the setting was for this game:

Thanks for sharing this. Was tinkering with the settings, will start here and adjust when need be.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »