Home

MLB 14 The Show: Hands-On Preview Video w/New PS4 Footage

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: Hands-On Preview Video w/New PS4 Footage within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #105
Rookie

headzapp's Arena

OVR: 0
On ps3 I always go into instant replay and look at the stadiums and players. zooming in and out, and seeing all the detail. So for this game it's going to be a treat. I'm going to play a game with every team. I can't wait.
When the ps4 was announced one of the first things that popped into my head was mlb the show, and then hockey.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #106
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: MLB 14 The Show: Hands-On Preview Video w/New PS4 Footage

How quickly we all forget SMH. Maybe its because its been almost ten years, but I'm sure a lot of you remember when EA went from the PS2/Xbox era to the 360/PS3 era, what an unmitigated disaster that transition was? EA touted they built all their sports games "from the ground up" (we all know that was a lot of corporate speak) but what we mainly got were stripped down versions of previous gen games. At what point could you honestly say Madden caught up to Madden 07 on Xbox/PS2 with this last generation of titles in overall quality? Madden 13? Maybe not even until M25.

EA learned with this transition and you only need to look at the fully-featured versions of Madden and FIFA on the XO and PS4 to see the lessons learned. 2K took a few chances with the modes on next gen (which I personally loved but it was a polarizing decision) but they largely kept the gameplay the same and put a lot of their effort into the player models (which were fantastic) and said they put a lot of work into the arenas and crowd (which were underwhelming).

And yet, with all this info and knowledge, we have people that come in here and talk about how they were hoping for more. We're getting re-done player models (aside from the skeletons), stadiums built from the ground up (pretty evident looking at the vids they are mostly all new), lighting and textures redone (I would hope no one disputes that), a bunch of new animations and every single game mode and feature on the PS4 version that was on the PS3 version.

I fail to see what the problem is, if I can be frank. On top of all this, my PS3 RTTS and Franchise will be able to be continued on the PS4 and even better than that, in The Show 15 and beyond.

I gave SCEA $120 of my money for the two versions and feel I'm getting double that in value. I've mentioned in other threads, this jump to the next generation of consoles has been less of an immediately evident upgrade visually than any before it. For a host of reasons. Aside from playing BF4 with 64 players, I've yet to play a game that made me say "this is why I got next gen". What I've seen of The Show on PS4, when these systems first got announced, no question I thought we'd be getting more.

But now we're armed with 6 months of knowledge of what next gen really is. And with those recalibrated expectations, I'm utterly stunned at what SCEA San Diego has been able to accomplish all the while putting out a PS3 and Vita version that had a ton of new features in it themselves. Nothing but a standing ovay for Ramone and the gang from this guy. You continue to raise a bar no other studio can even look up and see.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #107
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
But now we're armed with 6 months of knowledge of what next gen really is. And with those recalibrated expectations, I'm utterly stunned at what SCEA San Diego has been able to accomplish all the while putting out a PS3 and Vita version that had a ton of new features in it themselves. Nothing but a standing ovay for Ramone and the gang from this guy. You continue to raise a bar no other studio can even look up and see.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That's a lot to say and very well spoken, coming from a cell phone

I'd like to second your thoughts!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #108
Rookie

eaw913's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2
That's a lot to say and very well spoken, coming from a cell phone

I'd like to second your thoughts!
AND he had no typos or autocorrects (that I saw). Now THAT deserves a standing ovay!

But yes I second his thoughts as well. Very good post. We all are very spoiled and don't even realize it. Glad my favorite sport has the best video game though!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »