Home

Sliding into first

This is a discussion on Sliding into first within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #17
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Sliding into first

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer
I played with a guy who got spiked in his hand after being stepped on while sliding into first. Never played in the field again (that season anyway). Our coach read him the riot act for 20 minutes after the game.

I personally never do it, as like you, it's not part of my game. I've only ever done it once and it was because I thought I was going to get beaned by a bad throw. It wasn't strategy, it was self-preservation.
It's not faster at first base. You slide into 2nd to get under a tag and come to a quick stop. It is much faster to run through 1st base. The only time you would ever slide at first is on a slow roller that the 1st baseman is playing and you are trying to avoid him tagging you off of playing the ball. That and diving back on a pick off. the only 2 acceptable times to slide into 1st. otherwise you have actually made it easier for you to get thrown out.

Also you screw up how the ump makes the call. The Umpires eyes are on the 1st basemans foot, not the ball. He makes sure the 1st baseman has his foot on the bag, and is listening for 2 very different and distinct sounds. The ball hitting the glove, and the foot hitting the base. Depending on which he hears first is the call that he makes. if the stadium is too loud, then they have to use their eyes, but most times it is the ears that make the call.

Sliding into 1st is always the wrong decision. Injury risk aside, it's less efficient. you slowed yourself down to dive at the bag. you get there faster by busting your *** down the line and runing through the bag.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
It's not faster at first base. You slide into 2nd to get under a tag and come to a quick stop. It is much faster to run through 1st base. The only time you would ever slide at first is on a slow roller that the 1st baseman is playing and you are trying to avoid him tagging you off of playing the ball. That and diving back on a pick off. the only 2 acceptable times to slide into 1st. otherwise you have actually made it easier for you to get thrown out.

Also you screw up how the ump makes the call. The Umpires eyes are on the 1st basemans foot, not the ball. He makes sure the 1st baseman has his foot on the bag, and is listening for 2 very different and distinct sounds. The ball hitting the glove, and the foot hitting the base. Depending on which he hears first is the call that he makes. if the stadium is too loud, then they have to use their eyes, but most times it is the ears that make the call.

Sliding into 1st is always the wrong decision. Injury risk aside, it's less efficient. you slowed yourself down to dive at the bag. you get there faster by busting your *** down the line and runing through the bag.
Show me some data that says it's slower then please. Also, explain why you see runners slide into first on non-tagging plays.

Also, your point about what the umps are listening for when making a call at 1st is no longer accurate. The rules have changed because of expanded instant replay. The ball is now considered to be caught the instant it is in the glove, not when it makes the sound of hitting the pocket.

Let's just leave it at this: Runners slide into 1st for many reasons. It happens in real life, and it happens in the game. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #19
Rookie

Here's Giambi sliding into first on a non-tag play, in a game where the Indians are winning 14-2. So in other words, he didn't even need to reach base, but he really wanted the hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTikOHMCNLg

Puig sliding into first, non-tag play. Beat the throw by a millisecond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSGnnF5p-c

And to show I'm not biased, here's EPSN's Sport Science segment on running vs. diving:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10766501

In this video they find that running is 10ms faster than diving from 10ft. However, the video only shows this from the perspective of 1 runner, who as you can see in the video, didn't dive/slide into 1st very well.

And for fans of Mythbusters:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...an-running.htm

If you saw this episode, Mythbusters confirmed sliding can be faster than running through, depending on the situation.

I'd also like to point out that I didn't say it was ALWAYS faster. But sometimes it is. Like I said, if you screw up your gait when you leave the box you may have to half-step to line yourself up with the bag. In this case, sliding can be faster.

Last edited by ShaBoomer; 05-22-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #20
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

The only time I slide into 1st is when I'm trying to break up the double play. For whatever reason, the runner going to 1stt always mimics the same slide I tell the runner at 2nd to make.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 05-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #21
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer
Here's Giambi sliding into first on a non-tag play, in a game where the Indians are winning 14-2. So in other words, he didn't even need to reach base, but he really wanted the hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTikOHMCNLg

Puig sliding into first, non-tag play. Beat the throw by a millisecond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSGnnF5p-c

And to show I'm not biased, here's EPSN's Sport Science segment on running vs. diving:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10766501

In this video they find that running is 10ms faster than diving from 10ft. However, the video only shows this from the perspective of 1 runner, who as you can see in the video, didn't dive/slide into 1st very well.

And for fans of Mythbusters:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...an-running.htm

If you saw this episode, Mythbusters confirmed sliding can be faster than running through, depending on the situation.

I'd also like to point out that I didn't say it was ALWAYS faster. But sometimes it is. Like I said, if you screw up your gait when you leave the box you may have to half-step to line yourself up with the bag. In this case, sliding can be faster.
There are just as many, if not more, instances of guys diving into 1st base and being out. Just because some guys beat the throw, doesn't mean its faster and that they wouldn't have beaten the throw by running through the base.

If it's really faster, why don't sprinters dive through the finish line? In a sport where .01 seconds makes all of the difference, you would think they would give everything to be as fast as possible.

As for the Mythbusters thing.. they only tested into bases where you can't run through.

Quote:
Before you get a brain cramp, here's how running can put you behind. If you stay on your feet, your momentum will try to keep powering you forward as you near the base, so you'll slow your speed to stay upright when you stop on base — adding time to your sprint.
Of course it's faster to slide into 2nd or 3rd, because it slows your momentum enough where you can stay on the bag. If you were to try to run to 2nd base and stay on it, you would have to chop your steps so much to slow your momentum to where you won't overrun the bag. That's a horribly set up experiment for this discussion.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
There are just as many, if not more, instances of guys diving into 1st base and being out. Just because some guys beat the throw, doesn't mean its faster and that they wouldn't have beaten the throw by running through the base.

If it's really faster, why don't sprinters dive through the finish line? In a sport where .01 seconds makes all of the difference, you would think they would give everything to be as fast as possible.

As for the Mythbusters thing.. they only tested into bases where you can't run through.

Of course it's faster to slide into 2nd or 3rd, because it slows your momentum enough where you can stay on the bag. If you were to try to run to 2nd base and stay on it, you would have to chop your steps so much to slow your momentum to where you won't overrun the bag. That's a horribly set up experiment for this discussion.
I get it... You just want to be right. So by all means, go ahead...

I never said it was always faster. What I said was there are situations when it is beneficial to slide rather than run through. If there weren't, then nobody would do it. But that's not reality.

So if you want to keep arguing, knock yourself out. I hope you have fun.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #23

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

None of the video's you posted prove it's faster, just shows that they were safe. No point made at all.

Last edited by kehlis; 05-22-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
None of the video's you posted prove it's faster, just shows that he was safe. They mean nothing.
You kids need to learn how to read. Please show me where I said it was always faster.

I said it can sometimes be faster. I also said there are more reasons to slide into first than to just avoid being tagged (hence the first 2 videos posted).

But please, keep arguing....there's no reason why facts and logic should be involved.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »