Home

MLB 15 The Show Has New Human IK Engine, Tag System, Commentary, Overhauled Franchise

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Has New Human IK Engine, Tag System, Commentary, Overhauled Franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #97
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show Has New Human IK Engine, Tag System, Commentary, Overhauled Franc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguero90
I wonder what exactly they mean by revamped commentary? What do you guys think. Maybe they'll have Matt V get way more excited, like he does on tv broadcasts. If we get tv Matt V, I'd be happy, because he sounds way better in real life. But then again, that's what makes a person a great voice actor. I couldn't tell the difference between Jon Miller on tv/radio, and 2k.
At the very least we should get some fresh dialogue. This is one of those things where I wish there would be updates throughout the season. I wish SDS could get a contract where instead of the crew having to come in a record, they could use real broadcast chatter. But I'm sure that would cost a pretty penny.
#44Syracuse
Old 12-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #98
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: MLB 15 The Show Has New Human IK Engine, Tag System, Commentary, Overhauled Franc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I don't know, the real MLB is full of dumb trades this winter. Where does one go to reference what is "right".
Yeah but it's the offseason. These types of mega trades don't run all year long like they do in The Show. I think the franchise AI in The Show needs to lay off the 5 hour energy.

Carlos Gonzalez has been traded twice already, during one half-season. Albert Pujols: three times. I cant remember the name but I had one super star even traded and then traded back to his original team within a month.

And yeah, you can point to any one trade in The Show and say it looks "within the realm of reason"... they all look fine in a bubble... but "bubbles" are not how MLB seasons are supposed to work. It's like every team is on "shuffle" mode. No real plan or goal, no attention to current needs and current surpluses.

I dont know much about programming AI's but if SCEA could just make one change, it would be to have the AI ease off the accelerator by a big margin.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #99
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I don't know, the real MLB is full of dumb trades this winter. Where does one go to reference what is "right".
my viewpoint is the only true realistic trade that can be made is one that has already been made. Everything else is just speculation

my .02

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 12-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #100
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I wonder if the tag system is anything like I've suggested once. It was basically as follows;

Tagging is mapped to a button, say R1. When you're at a base, tap R1 for a swipe-tag. You'll have to time it right, but the tag will go straight down to wherever the guy is sliding. Otherwise, hold down the tag to keep your glove down, but you'll have to manually swivel left or right to get somebody hook sliding.

I did not have a system in place for tagging somebody in a rundown.
They had a bare bones of this idea back in Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball on the NES. It was essentially a mini-game inside the game. You basically had to guess where to put the tag down to get a guy out on a close play at a base. I'd rather the game just decide what tag to use in any given situation. Tag plays happen so quickly that I don't think you'd even have enough time to swivel left or right to get a guy out unless they put it in slow motion, which would make hook slides incredibly overused.

Obviously, if they included your idea they'd give us the option to turn it off as that's something they do well with The Show. I just don't see many people using it as it sounds very confusing and tough to implement in a way that doesn't completely ruin the immersion.

Personally, I hope it's just a fixed code that makes tags more fluid and varied.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #101

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Yea it was a disaster in Roger Clemons baseball.

Basically like trying to stop a PK in Fifa. Straight guessing game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2014, 03:12 AM   #102
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
They had a bare bones of this idea back in Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball on the NES. It was essentially a mini-game inside the game. You basically had to guess where to put the tag down to get a guy out on a close play at a base. I'd rather the game just decide what tag to use in any given situation. Tag plays happen so quickly that I don't think you'd even have enough time to swivel left or right to get a guy out unless they put it in slow motion, which would make hook slides incredibly overused.

Obviously, if they included your idea they'd give us the option to turn it off as that's something they do well with The Show. I just don't see many people using it as it sounds very confusing and tough to implement in a way that doesn't completely ruin the immersion.

Personally, I hope it's just a fixed code that makes tags more fluid and varied.
No, totally. When I suggested it this was a part of an entire package of new controls called Pro Control Defense that included a catch button, squaring up to fly balls (to center up or for players tagging up), a sprint feature, fake-throws, a momentum system for throwing, and even shading the sun. Tagging was just the icing on the cake with all of this, and it was essentially a set of "advanced controls" much like 2K had as an option in hockey games.

I just don't see how a "new tagging system" or whatever would be a back-of-the-box feature of something for gameplay improvements that would be something which we would notice if they didn't tell us. Sure, we could say "Oh I saw a new tagging animation the other day," but I don't ever recall tagging really being an issue of mine in this game. Sure tags are missed sometimes, but that's just a part of the sport. Unless they do something like cancelling tags (ducking out of the animation for other play) or something like moving around the bag for hook slides as I said earlier, it's tough to figure out how this will change gameplay.

EDIT: Actually, what might be nice about this feature mixed with the Human IK Engine is the game might be able to recognize when the glove actually touches the player, so maybe this game will have a challenge system where you can challenge actual missed/late tags, etc. That would be cool.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 12-30-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #103
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
MLB 15 The Show Has New Human IK Engine, Tag System, Commentary, Overhauled F...

Tagging has been an eyesore for years to me. When a game looks so good and suddenly you see the 2nd baseman swipe his glove through a player it takes you right out of the immersion, at least for me. Same goes for slides through the catcher. These things shouldn't be happening anymore this generation in my opinion so I'm happy they're improving on it!
Old 12-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #104
Rookie

OVR: 2

Overhauled franchise...with no details. I don't really care for the rest to warrant purchasing. When I know what "overhaul" means to them, I will make a decision.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »