Home

What ball physics still lacks

This is a discussion on What ball physics still lacks within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2016, 04:46 AM   #1
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
What ball physics still lacks

I thought there used to be a thread whose primary focus was on ball physics, but it could be buried in the "last-gen" sub-forum... I have always wanted to see a thread with videos comparing real-life ball physics and that in The Show to make it easier to see what the ball physics in The Show still lacks compared to what we see in real life.

I tend to think the ball physics in The Show has become pretty good, especially the last year or two with all the variety we started seeing in poor hit variety (the kind that leads to bloopers).

One thing that's still definitely missing is "doubles down the line," and this often leads people to discuss where the issue really arises from (often fielder speed & reaction), but I'd argue one major factor causing the lack of doubles down the line is that the ball in The Show kills "side spin" as soon as it makes contact with a surface.

For example, in real life, the ball hit down the line almost always keeps rolling toward the foul territory, as it tends to have ample side spin:

Spoiler

However, in The Show, similarly batted ball always totally loses side spin upon the very fist bounce off the ground, and keeps rolling straight with top spin:

Spoiler

This is one of the major reasons why hits down the line in The Show does not lead to doubles as often as we see in real life, because the right/left fielder can get to the ball when it is still in fair territory (or around the foul line) and it never rolls deep into the foul territory.

This is one thing I think the ball physics is still missing in The Show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Re: What ball physics still lacks

I'd also say the bouncing ball in The Show dies down a little too much too fast on each contact with the ground. I don't think we see "ground ball" in the game keeps rolling deeper into outfield/foul territory as much as we see in the real-life videos.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree 100%, and I've been saying the exact same thing about balls down the line for a couple years. The hook/slice applied to hard hit balls down the line, and speed at which ground balls down the line die once they reach the outfield. MLB 15 is the best baseball game I've ever played, but this is one thing I'd love to see them improve for MLB 16.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I thought there used to be a thread whose primary focus was on ball physics, but it could be buried in the "last-gen" sub-forum... I have always wanted to see a thread with videos comparing real-life ball physics and that in The Show to make it easier to see what the ball physics in The Show still lacks compared to what we see in real life.

I tend to think the ball physics in The Show has become pretty good, especially the last year or two with all the variety we started seeing in poor hit variety (the kind that leads to bloopers).

One thing that's still definitely missing is "doubles down the line," and this often leads people to discuss where the issue really arises from (often fielder speed & reaction), but I'd argue one major factor causing the lack of doubles down the line is that the ball in The Show kills "side spin" as soon as it makes contact with a surface.

For example, in real life, the ball hit down the line almost always keeps rolling toward the foul territory, as it tends to have ample side spin:

Spoiler

However, in The Show, similarly batted ball always totally loses side spin upon the very fist bounce off the ground, and keeps rolling straight with top spin:

Spoiler

This is one of the major reasons why hits down the line in The Show does not lead to doubles as often as we see in real life, because the right/left fielder can get to the ball when it is still in fair territory (or around the foul line) and it never rolls deep into the foul territory.

This is one thing I think the ball physics is still missing in The Show.
Do you have statistical data showing how often balls "down the line" result in doubles IRL vs the Show? How many feet from the foul line is "down the line"?

The reason I hesitate is because I've seen SCEA change the game to fix one thing and create other problems.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
MVP

forme95's Arena

I was looking for something else, and found this, http://www.operationsports.com/forum...l-physics.html

Was this what you were looking for Nomo?

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

One more thing about this: LF and RF CPU players get to the foul lines really quickly in The Show. I think they play straight up too often. Hence so many extra base hits happen into the gaps. Rarely do the corner outfielders play shaded towards the gaps. That, combined with the ball physics of hit balls down the line leads to very few extra base hits down the line. Unless you hit a line drive INTO the corner, extra base hits are tough.

Just another observation, maybe I'm the only one who has noticed this.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I was looking for something else, and found this, http://www.operationsports.com/forum...l-physics.html

Was this what you were looking for Nomo?
I've seen that thread, but I was thinking more about actual video comparison thread. It could be a thread from a few years back when what was called TruBall physics was introduced. Many interest threads from the past are in the old last-gen forum and it won't surface when searching for this specific forum I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
One more thing about this: LF and RF CPU players get to the foul lines really quickly in The Show. I think they play straight up too often. Hence so many extra base hits happen into the gaps. Rarely do the corner outfielders play shaded towards the gaps. That, combined with the ball physics of hit balls down the line leads to very few extra base hits down the line. Unless you hit a line drive INTO the corner, extra base hits are tough.

Just another observation, maybe I'm the only one who has noticed this.
I do think there's fielder positioning/speed/route aspect, but the positioning discussion has been going on forever in this specific context (i.e., lack of certain kinds of hits), and even though things have been improving and/or changed one way or another, I think overall the frequency of doubles is still not quite right *somewhere*, and my intention in the OP is that the batted ball not slicing down the line after the very first bounce is definitely something still *off* with the current ball physics.

IIRC, a few years ago, I think we didn't really see enough doubles to the gap either (likely due to fielders being too fast/always taking the shortest pass to the ball, etc.), and I think the corner fielders were then positioned slightly more toward the foul line to make gappers happen a bit more often. But then we now see doubles to the gap quite a bit, but we get an impression that corner fielders hug the line too much and see hits to the foul line not going for doubles as often as we expect seeing real-life games. If the ball keep slicing more, then that may improve the hit variety down the line.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
Rookie

Doubles down the line and into the corners is something that PYS does very well.

Here's an example from a game I played tonight and although the runner just made it to second, it should be noted that he is very slow. (The blue bar bottom left indicates his speed.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5uMmOUKYQc

And another!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQi43YkGt6g

Last edited by saintjimbo1885; 01-10-2016 at 09:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »