Home

MLB 16 Franchise Progress Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 16 Franchise Progress Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #1497
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 16 Franchise Progress Thread

Got a question for my fellow Franchise gearheads. I'm in need of a second opinion. (I know, I know this is a thread for 16 and I'm playing 17 but this question is pretty universal)

So I've got a relief pitcher who, in his first year on the 40 man, earned his way onto the roster. He struggled with a few meltdowns but also showed flashes of brilliance in his rookie season, and overall kept his spot on the team.

In his sophomore season he was rock solid, earning a spot as a 7th inning stopper and being a big part of my 123 combo at the backend of my bullpen. At the end of the season I rewarded him with a 6 year, 24 million dollar contract (4mil per year) in the hopes that it would be a win win situation. He gets more money now and I get some good dollar value years later.

However, this spring training he has been horrendous. He's exploded in multiple situations and is sporting around a 6.75 ERA and a 2.00 WHIP. My system is flush with good pitching prospects, and there are several people who I feel could easily perform well at the MLB level by taking his place on the 25 man.

So my question is: Should I approach spring training as a pure meritocracy and send him down to the minors, or should I give him the benefit of the doubt due to his performance over the last 2 years and wait and see how moving to the regular season affects him?

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 11-02-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #1498
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Got a question for my fellow Franchise gearheads. I'm in need of a second opinion. (I know, I know this is a thread for 16 and I'm playing 17 but this question is pretty universal)

So I've got a relief pitcher who, in his first year on the 40 man, earned his way onto the roster. He struggled a few meltdowns but also showed flashes of brilliance in his rookie season, and overall kept his spot on the team.

In his sophomore season he was rock solid, earning a spot as a 7th inning stopper and being a big part of my 123 combo at the backend of my bullpen. At the end of the season I rewarded him with a 6 year, 24 million dollar contract (4mil per year) in the hopes that it would be a win win situation. He gets more money now and I get some good dollar value years later.

However, this spring training he has been horrendous. He's exploded in multiple situations and is sporting around a 6.75 ERA and a 2.00 WHIP. My system is flush with good pitching prospects, and there are several people who I feel could easily perform well at the MLB level by taking his place on the 25 man.

So my question is: Should I approach spring training as a pure meritocracy and send him down to the minors, or should I give him the benefit of the doubt due to his performance over the last 2 years and wait and see how moving to the regular season affects him?
Personally, I would let him have the month of April to see how things work out. At least the first two weeks. If he doesn't return to old form then I'd send him to the minors to see if he works his kinks out.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #1499
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

We were able to take 2 out of 3 against the Braves and move to within 4 1/2 games of the Pirates. We still aren't playing that great and we did make a move sending Justin Wilson down to Memphis and calling up Paul DeJong. We are still trying to decide what to do with Aledmys Diaz. We actually signed him to a 3 year deal in the offseason thinking he'd be our everyday SS, but thus far he isn't producing offensively. Reuben Tejada is there now, but we are going to have him platoon with DeJong as DeJong has pop in his bat that could help balance out our lineup by placing him in the #6 spot. Piscotty is holding the fort there now, but that means Tejada is hitting 2nd and that's not really working out. Piscotty is better served as our #2 hitter in front of Carpenter.

Injuries continue to plague our minor league system as we now have 7 guys on the DL. We did get Wacha back off the DL so it will be nice having that 1-2-3 combination again of Wacha, Bumgarner, and Martinez.

Positive for our minor league system is that Memphis is killing it in the PCL as they are 44-13 thus far. Yeah, I have talent at that level.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #1500
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Coming up on the Amateur Draft. Really need to focus on 1B, RP, 2B, and 3B. Wouldn't mind snagging an outfielder as well or maybe another LH starting pitcher.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #1501
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Swept the Brewers to get within 3 games of the Pirates for the divisional lead. Pirates have struggled and we have now won 4 straight. The final game against the Brewers was a 15 inning marathon that Piscotty tied in the 8th with a solo homerun and he hit the game winning homerun in the 15th.

I am really starting to have concerns with Holliday as he continues to struggle early in the season. He's only hitting .230ish right now and is not coming up with big hits with runners on and has been a rally killer of late. We will continue to roll with him as I really don't want to trade him and I don't see myself just DFA'ing him either.

Next up is 3 at home vs the Astros before we get back out on the road

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #1502
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Made our first trade of this season here in June as we traded Chris Perry (28 year old reliever who is a minor league lifer) to the Marlins to Joaquin Arias to play at Memphis to help us deal with the injuries we've incurred this year.

Nothing major as we will not keep Arias after this season and we most likely wouldn't have resigned Perry at the end of the year with the youngsters we have in Single A waiting. The Marlins have taken a blow to their bullpen at the minor league levels which meant this was a perfect fit.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #1503
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

And just like that we are back in this thing. After taking 2 out of 3 against the Astros and the Pirates struggling with the Mets, we are within 2 1/2 games of first place. It again appears to be a 3 team race between us, the Pirates and the Cubs. The Reds who were hot in April and early May have fallen off. The Brewers are rebuilding.

We are now on the road for 4 against the Mets who are in 2nd place in the East behind the surprising Braves.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #1504
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Lost 3 out of 4 to the Mets in New York and back to 4 games behind the Pirates. Mets staff shut us down offensively. Wacha got the only win as Bumgarner, Martinez, and Leake took losses.

I'm to the point where Holiday is becoming a liability in the lineup and something has to be done. I don't know if it's a trade, release, or just sit on the bench to see if a week off or so works. But hitting .220 in the clean up spot with no real power ( 4 homers) isn't going to cut it.

We have 3 in Seattle and 2 in Oakland coming up. I'm going to sit him in these games and let Tejada play 3rd, Diaz SS, and Carpenter 1B. I'll have DeJong DH.

After these 5 games I'll decide what to do with Holiday.

Hate to move him but I'm regretting signing him to a year deal and letting Adams go

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »