Home

Story mode

This is a discussion on Story mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
Banned

ROTTEN's Arena

OVR: 0
Story mode

Please tell me SDS are not entertaining the idea of ever adding a story mode via EA cheese. I just had a look at the new madden story mode and i think I puked a little in my mouth. These are sports games and the resources should be spent on gameplay/graphics .... you know ..... sport stuff. Am I wrong here?

I dunno. I had no idea there was a story mode in Madden/fifa, two games that need to spend time elsewhere besides following a scripted little johnny from todler to the pros. What is this crap? If i want story Ill play the witcher. No need for the pre school childish drama in sports games. Sorry for the rant, but wtf?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Story mode

The Show's version of a story mode is Road to the Show.

So I don't see a different story mode being implemented outside of RTTS.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
MVP

young22's Arena

I'd welcome cutscenes and a story in RTTS. The mode gets stale after a few seasons.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Rookie

I wouldn't mind a little more interaction with RttS. I think they're on the right track with pave your path, just needs more. Maybe something like the NHL series my player mode. And something where your decisions actually impact your game.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Story mode

I've thrown in the towel on Madden. It's too far gone, and they're not investing time or resources on the mode I play most.

For me, the game is the story, as it was with Madden. Can I get to 60 homers with Junior? Can I get 300 strikeouts with The Big Unit? How many batting titles can I win with Edgar?

.. Now, if SDS has some kind of cut-scene for those accomplishments, great! But I'm not the least bit interested in any canned story with only a dozen scripted outcomes. Spare me!

... I can almost guarantee this will work for Madden though.

What EA did best in the early days of Madden was capture and grow with a young(er) audience. The cycle is about to repeat itself. Disgruntled fans jump off the wagon, but they corral younger players by the dozen. They'll eat this up and carry their love of the game forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 05-19-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Rookie

consecutive27's Arena

I am fine with some more decisions or interactions for RTTS as long as they are related to the team, fans, media, coaches, front office, and other things closely connected to the game on the field. I am wary of cutscenes because they can quickly make you lose connection to your player if they do not sound or act according to your expectations (and they usually don't). They also tend to make the experience more linear.

I look at NBA 2k's myplayer/mycareer as a cautionary tale. Aside from the voice acting and penalizing you for simming games, I think they had that mode pretty much spot on a few years back. Then between cut scenes, focusing more on connecting the single player mode to online play, and other things, that mode has gone off the rails in my opinion. I know I am not alone in thinking that, although 2k's wallet would disagree.

Anyway, if MLBTS can add a little more immersion to RTTS with interactions and presentation, it could be even more addicting than it already is. It would also be cool to be able to score some endorsements and make suggestions to the gm to help your team in free agency. Maybe have your voluntary pay cut actually be able to help the team.

Last edited by consecutive27; 05-19-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
MVP

underdog13's Arena

They aren't, one of the devs posted in a rtts thread in March that gives mr full confidence they aren't going in that direction

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Anti-Madden threads on the MLB forum? Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »