Home

Is this game noob friendly?

This is a discussion on Is this game noob friendly? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Is this game noob friendly?

I would suggest watching some baseball to gain an understanding of the game.

I know the Netherlands has baseball because I know a guy who moved there to play professional baseball.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 2

I played a little baseball as a kid (as well as played in co-ed rec softball leagues as an adult). So I knew most of the rules of baseball prior to playing this console baseball game. But this MLB The Show game has still taught me many additional nuances of the game that are not easy to pickup unless you are a hardcore baseball person. I still have tons more to learn, but from that perspective this game has taken my knowledge of baseball to a level I did not have prior to playing this game.

Now this game is configurable, so yes it can be newbie friendly as long as it is configured for "newbies". But you don't want to be too newbie friendly. As an example when batting, you do not want every pitch to be in the strike zone. You do want the pitchers to throw balls out of the strike zone so that you get into the habit of learning a sight picture the split second the pitch leaves the pitchers hand to know if you are swinging or not. But when pitching is configured at the newbie levels, most if not all pitches will be in the strike zone.

Oh and prior to playing this game, I was not very good at identifying pitch types coming out of the pitchers hands. They all kind of looked the same. But in time as I have become a better batter, I am slowly getting better with most pitches. But there is still one pitch type I have not even remotely come close to mastering as a batter and that is the slider. When the sight picture is completely out of wack, I can recognize it and not swing. But a well thrown slider that paints a corner continues to plague me. Coming out of the pitchers hand it looks like a fast ball. But the moment I begin my swing as I would for most fast balls, the damn ball begins to break and I swing too damn early. Sometimes I get lucky, but most times I wif. Dang I hate a well thrown slider.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I've been following baseball for 40 years and I'm biased as I think baseball is the greatest sport in the history of forever, so I'm really not qualified to say how easy baseball is to learn (or baseball vide games either) but I truly believe anyone who gives the game an honest chance will grow to love it. also, it's a good idea to challenge yourself by getting out of your comfort zone. we should all probably try doing that more often. and another great plus is anything you have questions about, operation sports is as good as any place to ask for advice or just asking questions about baseball

good luck and Happy Base Ball!

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #12

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

I’d recommend getting on YouTube and watching a few games of baseball to gather a basic understanding of whats going on. Once you gather the basics, picking up the more detailed aspects of the game won’t be as difficult. For example a force out vs a tag out is probably gonna boggle your mind the first few games you play. But it’s actually one of the more common sense aspects of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »