Home

MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #889
Rookie

DirtBallNation's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
The menu in 20 was perfect. All right in front of you, scroll left to right and find what you want. 21 does make you jump around. The vault....the vault. What a mess if you want to make a roster using created players. Find a player on page 15, download, wait 15 seconds until it backs out to the menu, which dumps you back onto page 1. I played a season on 21, looks great, etc., but the presentation is better on 20 and it looks as good on the PS5 with a great TV.
I know i'm extremely late to this "Menu" party, but I agree - Why do we have to have complicated menu layout? What ever happened to the classic "Exhibition, Game Modes, Rosters, Settings, Extras" on the left side of the screen - After selecting one of them, a different menu drops down. makes we wish that classic setting would come back!

GREEN BAY PACKERS

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

WISCONSIN BADGERS
Old 02-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #890
Rookie

Graphics upgrade is long over due. They also need more animations

There are also some cheats that I am tired of seeing that are way too predictable - very scripted cheats that are extremely predictable if you play a lot

1. AI baserunners and Fielders get a huge speed boost at critical times. I've seen AI baserunners score from 2nd and 3rd when their speed is really low and they should be out by a mile.

2. Strikes not getting called in the same situations over and over again to give the AI an edge

3. AI Fielding - this one along with the number 4 probably annoy me more than the others. AI average fielders throwing guys out at 3rd and home with pinpoint accuracy and increased velocity and perfect tags. Now with human throws even great fielders seem to almost always throw to the wrong side of the base so the AI runner avoids the tag.

4. Great human fielders taking an extra step or double clutching a throw so the AI can take the extra base and barely score - if you play a lot you know what I'm talking about - again it's pretty predictable and a glaring cheat.

5. User diving catches versus AI needs total overhaul

6. AI catchers spring out of the box like a cobra to make plays and your catcher is in slow motion. This happens alot on mi**** dribblers

7. AI pulling hard biting sliders down and away down the line for homeruns

8. Here's another beauty as far as cheat code - AI wild pitch that bounces off the backstop like a superball directly to a retreating catcher thus enabling the catcher to make a ridiculous perfect laser throw resulting in an out when it should be an easy extra base or run.

9. Still too many "perfect hits" by humans that end up easy outs. I've been really watching this one closely and about 75% of my "perfect contact" are easy outs.

10. I stand corrected this last one really bugs me like 3 and 4. If you are going to implement ratings based fielding it has to go both ways meaning player ratings need to affect the AI the same as the human player. I see so many false steps or human players freezing when a ball is hit because they misread the ball off the bat. I even see this with great user fielders but I almost never see the AI misread a play even if their fielding ratings are low. It happens but very rarely. There is a HUGE discrepency here.

Now don't get me wrong - I still like the game but almost all of the above have been in the game for years so it's cheat code which leads me to my last statement and this goes out to all developers - instead of putting so much effort into gimmicky cheat code invest that time in gameplay improvements so you don't need cheat code. Cheat code has become so prevelant with sports games I'm starting to feel like it's an accepted practice when it should be called out as a lazy lack of effort.

Last edited by lovemuscle; 02-16-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:36 PM   #891
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemuscle

There are also some cheats that I am tired of seeing that are way too predictable - very scripted cheats that are extremely predictable if you play a lot

1. AI baserunners and Fielders get a huge speed boost at critical times. I've seen AI baserunners score from 2nd and 3rd when their speed is really low and they should be out by a mile.

2. Strikes not getting called in the same situations over and over again to give the AI an edge

3. AI Fielding - this one along with the number 4 probably annoy me more than the others. AI average fielders throwing guys out at 3rd and home with pinpoint accuracy and increased velocity and perfect tags. Now with human throws even great fielders seem to almost always throw to the wrong side of the base so the AI runner avoids the tag.

4. Great human fielders taking an extra step or double clutching a throw so the AI can take the extra base and barely score - if you play a lot you know what I'm talking about - again it's pretty predictable and a glaring cheat.

6. AI catchers spring out of the box like a cobra to make plays and your catcher is in slow motion. This happens alot on mi**** dribblers

8. Here's another beauty as far as cheat code - AI wild pitch that bounces off the backstop like a superball directly to a retreating catcher thus enabling the catcher to make a ridiculous perfect laser throw resulting in an out when it should be an easy extra base or run.

9. Still too many "perfect hits" by humans that end up easy outs. I've been really watching this one closely and about 75% of my "perfect contact" are easy outs.

10. I stand corrected this last one really bugs me like 3 and 4. If you are going to implement ratings based fielding it has to go both ways meaning player ratings need to affect the AI the same as the human player. I see so many false steps or human players freezing when a ball is hit because they misread the ball off the bat. I even see this with great user fielders but I almost never see the AI misread a play even if their fielding ratings are low. It happens but very rarely. There is a HUGE discrepency here.

Now don't get me wrong - I still like the game but almost all of the above have been in the game for years so it's cheat code which leads me to my last statement and this goes out to all developers - instead of putting so much effort into gimmicky cheat code invest that time in gameplay improvements so you don't need cheat code. Cheat code has become so prevelant with sports games I'm starting to feel like it's an accepted practice when it should be called out as a lazy lack of effort.
Honestly haven't noticed any of this....I am genuinely not trying to be condescending, but if you feel like the CPU is "cheating" then you probably need to turn the difficulty down

Thanks Peyton. #18
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2022, 07:24 PM   #892
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoller1331
Honestly haven't noticed any of this....I am genuinely not trying to be condescending, but if you feel like the CPU is "cheating" then you probably need to turn the difficulty down
Same here.

Sent from my thoughts
Old 02-16-2022, 07:35 PM   #893
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemuscle

Maybe you're playing on a much higher difficultly than I'm am, I'm on all star plus with very little slider changes, but I haven't seen any of this and I've played the game for an entire year. If I really felt these types of cheat codes were happening, the game wouldn't last a week for me.

I'm not saying its not happening for you. I'm just saying I'm not seeing that happening when I play the game.

Sent from my thoughts
Old 02-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #894
Pro

How is AI logic around bullpen use and lineups? I haven't played a ton of 21.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-17-2022, 02:39 PM   #895
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpklub
How is AI logic around bullpen use and lineups? I haven't played a ton of 21.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
For 21, its fine. Its not perfect it is still a video game. There is an occasional WTF moment, but overall it works decently.

Sent from my thoughts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2022, 07:59 PM   #896
Pro

How does the show look/perform on the Series S? I’m thinking about getting an S since X/PS5 is impossible to get without going through a lot of loop holes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »