Home

How do you think " Iron " Mike Tyson would have done in UFC?

This is a discussion on How do you think " Iron " Mike Tyson would have done in UFC? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: How do you think " Iron " Mike Tyson would have done in UFC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck911
Exactly how do you know what mike tyson ground game looks like.Tell me how Muhammad Ali ground game was like or George foreman or Roy Jones Jr. What about Kurt Angle he was gold medal wrestler tell me how his stand up looks like better yet tell how me Bruce Lee would have done in the UFC.You don't know.
Pro boxers/kickboxers/nak muays don't have ground games unless they are also training for MMA. And for your Kurt Angle comparison, it is a lot easier to learn how to strike after you've learned how to grapple. Grappling is generally a better starting point than striking because grappling takes YEARS to become proficient at.
Quote:
What you do know is Mike Tyson has legit knock out power from the standing.How many UFC heavyweight have won fights sheer punching power and questionable ground game Tim Syvlia,Andrei Arlovksi,Tank Abbott, and list can go on.
Tim Sylvia is also 6-8, 263, Tank Abott was never that good, and Arlovski has a solid ground background in Sambo and has never been submitted.
Quote:
Few fighter is stupid enough join the Ufc and work on their grappling game.I don't know about tyson ground game or take down defense all you can do is guess.All i know Mike tyson had rare punching speed and power that only would have won him couple fights in ufc.I am not saying he would be the greatest fighter depending on well he adapt to the ground game he would be some where between Iceman and tank abbott.
There is no need to guess. Tyson never wrestled, practiced Judo or BJJ in his prime years. His takedown defense would have been terrible. Even Chuck Liddell was an accomplished wrestler in college.

The only thing that would help Tyson in that regard would be the fact he would be a small heavyweight and be more difficult to get under. Another thing that would possibly play into Mike Tyson's favor was that in his prime fighters were generally one dimensional fighters, so he could get away with brawling and getting those KOs, but if they took him to the ground it would be a wrap. Another big question would be how well he could take leg kicks. Boxers who have tried to fighter kickboxers/nak muays would generally give up after getting battered in the leg a few times.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Exactly how do you know what mike tyson ground game looks like.Tell me how Muhammad Ali ground game was like or George foreman or Roy Jones Jr. What about Kurt Angle he was gold medal wrestler tell me how his stand up looks like better yet tell how me Bruce Lee would have done in the UFC.You don't know.

What you do know is Mike Tyson has legit knock out power from the standing.How many UFC heavyweight have won fights sheer punching power and questionable ground game Tim Syvlia,Andrei Arlovksi,Tank Abbott, and list can go on.

Few fighter is stupid enough join the Ufc and work on their grappling game.I don't know about tyson ground game or take down defense all you can do is guess.All i know Mike tyson had rare punching speed and power that only would have won him couple fights in ufc.I am not saying he would be the greatest fighter depending on well he adapt to the ground game he would be some where between Iceman and tank abbott.
You can't say that Tyson would not have learned or trained for a ground game. His power & speed alone could have gotten him out of a lot of ground situations. Rampage Jackson has great knock out power but Tyson I believe had more in his prime and probably still does.

I also believe that Bruce Lee would have killed these guys. Look at Lyota Machida and what he has done with traditional Karate. I have trained in Taekwondo and they teach a lot of ground techniques and more.

IMO Tyson would have won the heavy weight championship with his pure punching power and speed and Bruce Lee would have won the Feather Weight Championship with his technique and speed.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0
HotRusGirl

Great job with the info. How idd you find it? Please let me know.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

Biggest concern.

I think that in a best case scenario, Tyson would have been a Melvin Manhoef, Pat Barry-type of fighter but ultimately limited because he wouldn't know how to kick and his small size at HW.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 14

I think Tyson would have done extremely well. He was incredibly strong and quick, had good foot work, and incredible punching power. He was built like a miniature tank, and lived for throwing punches when inside. Taking him down would be way easier said than done, not only because of his solid base but from the risk of the damage he would inflict with his hands. Any type of takedown defense and he would have been a stud.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #22
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

Bruce Lee was the forefather of crosstraining and mixed martial arts, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he'd run amuck in a modern FW division.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
There is no need to guess. Tyson never wrestled, practiced Judo or BJJ in his prime years. His takedown defense would have been terrible.
That a just guess as this whole topic is,We have to guess that mike tyson would get bad trainers,one who never teach him any thing about ground fighting and take down defense.We have guess that tyson has no aptitude for ground fighting.You can guess he would be bad,I can guess he would be decent with the right trainers.It is still guess

My opinion on base stand up and power puncher.Tyson would only be scrub(tank abbott) if he didn't learn one thing and even tank won some fights in mma.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #24
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

Quote:
That a just guess as this whole topic is,We have to guess that mike tyson would get bad trainers,one who never teach him any thing about ground fighting and take down defense.We have guess that tyson has no aptitude for ground fighting.You can guess he would be bad,I can guess he would be decent with the right trainers.It is still guess

My opinion on base stand up and power puncher.Tyson would only be scrub(tank abbott) if he didn't learn one thing and even tank won some fights in mma.
Nooooooo.

Just because someone learns ground work, it does not mean that person would be able to pick it up crisply and perform it six months to a year later. It's not about aptitude, it's about pure repitition. Most kids learn amateur wrestling and BJJ in their early teens and by their mid-twenties they know what to do by heart. For example, Kimbo Slice trained extensively with Bas Rutten - Pancrase legend and MMA HoF - and still looked like a duck out of water when it came to ground work. Melvin Manhoef has been working on his BJJ for years and he too, still struggles on the ground. There have been a lot of top strikers in other combat sports only be average at MMA because of the ground game.

Not everyone is prodigious like BJ Penn, who got his black belt in three years or Cro Cop, who had the best takedown defense I've ever seen.

And considering the time in which Tyson fought (1985-2000), it's really hard to believe that he would have found great coaches considering MMA was in it's infancy in the US in the early 90s (during his prison sentence) and grappling dominated throughout most of that time. A recently released-from-prison 29-year old Mike Tyson is going to suddenly pickup takedown defense in the medieval period of UFC when fighters, let alone coaches were hard to find?

Again, Tyson would have done decent work back then the dark ages because of how most fighters were simply one-dimensional and BJJ wasn't as popular as it is now. However, guys like Pete Williams, Don Frye, Shamrock, and Vitor Belfort would have KILLED him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »