Home

White and Fertitas looking to sell the UFC?

This is a discussion on White and Fertitas looking to sell the UFC? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #25
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: White and Fertitas looking to sell the UFC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I think you have your nostalgia goggles on. Comparing a 7 year span to a current year is kind of unfair so lets go to 2009 what many believe was the peak of the UFC. In 2009, the UFC had 4 stars.

GSP, Brock, Chuck and BJ. They had some other well known names like Couture and Big Nog. There werent multiple stars in each division. Unless you consider Diego Sanchez and Florian as stars (LW) or Thiago Alves and Jon Fitch as Stars(WW). Or Demian Maia in (MW). The divisions were extremely top heavy at that point.

Silva wasnt a star until he fought Belfort in 2011. That was the first time he ever sold more than 600k ppvs. Before that he averaged around 350k on PPV. It takes time to build stars. Silva had the belt 4 years before he was a box office draw. Shoot BJ didnt start selling PPVs until the GSP fight.

Currently, there are 3 "stars". Conor, Jones and Ronda. 4 if GSP comes back as expected this year. There is a greater mix of older fighters (Silva, Lawler, the Diazs) and younger up and coming potential stars (Luke, Weidman, Joanna).

I dont see the two situations being much different other than Conor breaking every PPV record in the UFC.

fair enough, but I'm not as concerned with the ppv numbers because it's not a true indicator of 'golden age' - I'm talking about it being 'better' which will have an impact but more gradually.

For example take the NBA. My golden age for that was late 80-mid 90s - you had a star or two on almost every team with a distinct 'feel'. Those days where not only did you have Jordan, but you had mailman+stockton, Drexer, Wilkins, Bird, Magic, Miller, Ewing, D.Robinson, and on and on and on with a big heap of b-side guys as well that were memorable. BUT the big thing here is today's viewership blow those days out of the water because there is simply much more reach, it's not even close.

So from that standpoint can I say the UFC is 'Better' today than it was just a few years ago - no. Maybe you can, but besides the guys you mention I'd include other champs like Matt Hughes, and remember when the LHW division was crazy with Rampage, Machida, Rua playing musical chairs? Forrest, and 'Shad .... to me it's those memorable guys with varying styles and there were so many - now I don't get that feeling as much.

I'm also not saying it's 'bad' now either, just that better days are in the rear view mirror. It could get back to that and exceed it possibly or it could continue to decline. I do think up and coming people will be more homogenized overall and I'm already seeing that which is partly because of the training now so instead of the Axe murderer or RAMPAGE you have Luke Rockhold ...

If anyone here thinks the UFC is better/more entertaining now - great, I just think it was more interesting a little while and and find myself skipping more and more events now. It's not my lack of interest in MMA, I have a martial arts background and have always been into it and always will follow it.

Don't you feel a bit of a crossroads too? there may be union issues and the whole sale proposition as well as natural ebs and flows, and things like Dana getting older (him and Zuffa can't do this forever)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #26
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
fair enough, but I'm not as concerned with the ppv numbers because it's not a true indicator of 'golden age' - I'm talking about it being 'better' which will have an impact but more gradually.

For example take the NBA. My golden age for that was late 80-mid 90s - you had a star or two on almost every team with a distinct 'feel'. Those days where not only did you have Jordan, but you had mailman+stockton, Drexer, Wilkins, Bird, Magic, Miller, Ewing, D.Robinson, and on and on and on with a big heap of b-side guys as well that were memorable. BUT the big thing here is today's viewership blow those days out of the water because there is simply much more reach, it's not even close.

So from that standpoint can I say the UFC is 'Better' today than it was just a few years ago - no. Maybe you can, but besides the guys you mention I'd include other champs like Matt Hughes, and remember when the LHW division was crazy with Rampage, Machida, Rua playing musical chairs? Forrest, and 'Shad .... to me it's those memorable guys with varying styles and there were so many - now I don't get that feeling as much.

I'm also not saying it's 'bad' now either, just that better days are in the rear view mirror. It could get back to that and exceed it possibly or it could continue to decline. I do think up and coming people will be more homogenized overall and I'm already seeing that which is partly because of the training now so instead of the Axe murderer or RAMPAGE you have Luke Rockhold ...

If anyone here thinks the UFC is better/more entertaining now - great, I just think it was more interesting a little while and and find myself skipping more and more events now. It's not my lack of interest in MMA, I have a martial arts background and have always been into it and always will follow it.

Don't you feel a bit of a crossroads too? there may be union issues and the whole sale proposition as well as natural ebs and flows, and things like Dana getting older (him and Zuffa can't do this forever)
Regarding your LHW reference, thats just one division. Now that was the "golden era" for LHW (W. Silva, Hendo and even guys like mid level guys Thiago Silva were good fighters) but to the UFC. Back then every division below that was pretty much top heavy. There were no solid contenders in MW (Silva was fighting people like Cote/Leites for title shots). WW was shallow (Fitch was the only top contender and he was boring, guys like Dan Hardy were getting shots from beating mid level guys like Mike Swick). So was LW.

Now WW/LW/MW go at least 5 people deep in legitimate championship contenders. The divisions are way deeper. The skill level is much higher. I watch older fights regularly when I'm working out and I'm sometimes shocked at how much the sport has advanced in just these last 8 years.

I dont think its at a crossroads at all. Its a combat sport. There is a ready made ceiling. The UFC is never going to be the NFL, NBA or MLB. Its ceiling is that it is a more accessible, more reliable (when it comes to making fights fans want to see) version of boxing.

The union stuff isnt really an issue for two reasons. 1) The antitrust lawsuit will either be won by the UFC on the trial level or in appeals court. 2) No top star is willing to sacrifice his career to create a union. It would take a Conor/Ronda/GSP like star threatening to boycott a major event unless the Fertittas recognize a Union. That will never happen. No major star is willing to walk away from a 7 figure payday so that the lower card fighters have a higher minimum guarantee or more sponsorship pay. If a lower card fighter or a group of them threatened a walkout, they would either be immediately cut or benched for years.

The sale isnt that concerning to the sport either. If anything, if the Fertitas sold the UFC, it could be a positive thing for the sport. Maybe the UFC loosens up the Reebok deal and allows small sponsorship. Maybe the minimum salary is increased.

2009 is one of my favorite periods of the UFC but I also know that it was carried solely by a few stars and one deep division. I dont think the UFC is worse off now. They have deeper divisions and two mega stars who can sell 1 million PPVs anytime they are on the card.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #27
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Rumors have been strong this week, but it seems like this sale might really be going down soon.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #28
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

OVR: 0

Could be interesting. If they really do sell 100% ownership I'm curious how much things could change.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Two bids came in both over 4B...

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/16...ser-conclusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #30
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Two bids came in both over 4B...

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/16...ser-conclusion

Really curious to see how this all unfolds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:31 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2016, 12:45 AM   #32
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Hopefully it's for the best and works out well for roster. I'm tired of Dana's lies. Dudes a butt.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »