Home

2K Announces Premium Season Pass Options For NBA 2K24

This is a discussion on 2K Announces Premium Season Pass Options For NBA 2K24 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-20-2023, 01:18 AM   #73
Pro

yungsta404's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K24 introducing pay to win

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Ugh, that's why I said it's up to the user base to show discretion or outright boycott the heavily saturated with microtransaction features.

Instead, we get the annual "crusade" of video game journalists and online gamers bemoaning their existence.

Big Corp is always gonna attempt to squeeze every penny out of us, unfortunately. That won't change until consumers push back, but that is easier said than done.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Exactly, the 2K community have shown time and time again that for these competitive modes they are quick to pull out their wallets if they can speed up their progression or get any kind of competitive advantage. 2k is foul for this but the consumer have to take some blame for the monster that they help created.

A while back I remember seeing a post on twitter where someone was expressing their willingness to spend $500 if they could get a 99 overall maxed out myplayer with all badges unlocked on Day 1 smh.

Its obviously 2k is testing the consumer base to see how much monetization they can get away with before players get fed up and start walking away then they will revert back some policies and that will be their new baseline.

Unfortunately, I don't think we are even close to that point yet. There are a lot of complainers but at the end of the day, they are still spending.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #74
MVP

StormsWarning's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: 2K Announces Premium Season Pass Options For NBA 2K24

No purchase from me. This is ridiculous, and I refuse to pay anymore into this nonsense.

I'm from the 80s generation I know better. If people want to continue to support these moves by developer's go ahead, but they are ruining not only the gamer base but the future of gaming period.

Until I see a major change, I'm done.

MJWizards created a MASSIVE amount of work and detail in 2k23. With what that game has to offer and his work I am more than fine, and I MEAN more than fine having that be my last 2k game.

Even if 2k decided to turn the servers off like there previous cycles it don't even matter, the Courts are hard coded into the game oldschool as well as the new modern with uniforms.

People better open there eyes...
Old 08-20-2023, 10:44 AM   #75
Rookie

YannisLB's Arena

This is outrageous, whats most insane is that people that want to play offline MyCareer are handicaped by this

Since now they will have to either wait and play 10000 hours of game before having the VC to have a decent player

OR just pay

This is not only about the park and REC grinder but also about the casual player that likes to build his career and has to start at 60 OVR and grind to be even decent

The cost of a myplayer is INSANE
This is pure scamming
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2023, 10:52 AM   #76
Rookie

YannisLB's Arena

As long as they have no competitors 2K will keep doing this ****

We need EA to come back to NBA Live and making good games

We need competitions to scare 2K
Old 08-20-2023, 11:27 AM   #77
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannisLB
As long as they have no competitors 2K will keep doing this ****

We need EA to come back to NBA Live and making good games

We need competitions to scare 2K
I think your perspective is incorrect, 2k sees themselves as having competitors. They're not competing with other sports games though, they're competing with games like Fortnight, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc.

If a videogame company can essentially double its sales through paid content and subscriptions, there's no way they turn back. It's far more likely EA comes back with its own version for NBA Live, especially considering they're already trying their best to do the same thing with Madden.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 08-20-2023, 11:38 AM   #78
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NBA 2K24 introducing pay to win

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungsta404
Unfortunately, I don't think we are even close to that point yet. There are a lot of complainers but at the end of the day, they are still spending.
I personally believe we are at the point of no return. Companies will push things as far as they can and once they push things too far they'll dial things back a bit, which at best will leave us in the same spot we are currently in.

The business is too established at this point (bit of a rant if you care to read):

You have streamers and content creators who essentially rely on buying VC to help drive their content. A lot of streamers have content on best builds overall, best builds for each position, best badges, best animations to equip, etc. Hard to do that without buying VC and, instead, spending time grinding. I don't know if people are interested in watching their favorite streamers grinding away for VC. One of the reasons I don't play these modes is because I have zero interest grinding for VC (especially if I already did in a previous 2k game), why would I want watch someone else do that?

The streamers could pivot to an anti-2k stance, but I don't know how sustainable that is, plus that could ruin their relationship with 2k, and I don't think any of them want to risk that.

A big issue that effects both streamers and average gamers is FOMO. That feeling of "if I don't buy VC I'm going to fall behind the other streamers/players. I need to keep up or be ahead of the pack." People might try to take a stance, but I what point do they cave because they aren't progressing as fast as those that invest more money and time into their player? It's almost like an addiction, "I'll just buy one VC pack and that's it!" And then people will make excuses for themselves, "there's a sale on VC? Ok I'll buy one more, but I'm done after that," "I only need X more VC to get where I want, I'll just pay for it and be done with it."

And bigger picture, it's going to take a lot more than people being mad at 2k for things to change. These practices are now the norm in gaming and younger gamers don't know a gaming world without DLC and microtransactions. There is countless data that shows customers of various games have no issue spending money year after year. For every person that complains about microtransactions and doesn't spend money on them, there are dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of other people that will continue to purchase such content.

Last edited by scottyp180; 08-20-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:54 AM   #79
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan Darkside
I think your perspective is incorrect, 2k sees themselves as having competitors. They're not competing with other sports games though, they're competing with games like Fortnight, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc.

If a videogame company can essentially double its sales through paid content and subscriptions, there's no way they turn back. It's far more likely EA comes back with its own version for NBA Live, especially considering they're already trying their best to do the same thing with Madden.
Yeah I don't know why people would think it would be any better or different with direct competition. 2k might be the worst offender out of the sports games, but as far as I know they all have some form of microtransactions and virtual currency.

The only way things change is if sales for microtransactions drop dramatically, but that would have to be across all of gaming. Otherwise companies are just going to look at the model of other successful games and mimick it. I just don't see things changing for the most popular games with established fan bases (COD, 2K, GTA, Fortnite, etc). These fans and customersbhave already accepted and bought into the current business model. I don't see the majority of them suddenly taking a stance at this point.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:59 PM   #80
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman
Maybe this has been mentioned and I didn’t see it…

Is the first season pass included in your purchase?

Surely they aren’t planning on us paying $100-$150 and then a week later paying $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not 100% certain, but I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how it will be. You pay for the game, whichever version that may be, and then if you want to Season Pass upgrades you have to pay an extra $10-$20 on top of that to get them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »