Home

How to fix 3pt shooting?

This is a discussion on How to fix 3pt shooting? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-17-2023, 04:25 AM   #1
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
How to fix 3pt shooting?

I am still an admin for our online league.

This year we have one big problem: Basically all open shots go in, as getting a green release is super easy. We play on superstar.

Result? We have one guy who played a ton before the season even started, he is averaging 74.5 % from three after 18 games on 23 attempts. His go to scorer is Luke Kennard, who is averaging 31.6 points per game with a 3 pt percentage of 84.2 % (9.2 attempts; 7.7 makes). Aside Kennard, Nikola Vucevic (84.6 %) and Lauri Markkanen (81.6 %) are also averaging above 80 % and in total 7 players are at 70 % or above.

This is the extreme case in our league. The league average still is at an all time high with 47 %. In 37 seasons (starting in 2004) we only had above 40 % from deep 3 times: this season and both NBA 2k22 seasons. All in all, 19 teams are shooting above 40 % and the general consensus is: If the shot is wide open, it will go in. Even with guys like Deandre Ayton, who is averaging 49 % from deep this season with a 3pt rating of 70.

I attached both the teamstats and the top20 3pt shooters in our current season to show you how absurd all of this is. These high 3pt percentages destroy any basketball. You cannot sag off of bad shooters anymore and need to guard basically everyone with around 70 or above 3pt rating as if they were steph curry. that AI defenses are really bad at guarding 3pt plays doesnt make it any better.

Is there a way sliderwise to fix this and significantly reduce how easy it is to hit green releases? something like realfg% would be ideal, but unfortunately realfg% is not working in online games.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playerstats.jpg (63.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg teamstats.jpg (101.3 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by jk31; 11-17-2023 at 05:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #2
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: How to fix 3pt shooting?

I'm not well versed enough in online leagues this year but if the sliders aren't worth it for 3pt shots (again, because greens sort of live outside that realm) then it seems like you're sort of hosed, which is generally my argument for why green releases are bad as a game mechanic anyway.

The only other way to attack it would be to make it so contest frequencies go up but that would have knock-on effects elsewhere.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:18 PM   #3
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How to fix 3pt shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
which is generally my argument for why green releases are bad as a game mechanic anyway..
exactly my point. with green releases you break the game if you are good enough. if 2k would at least give us an option to disable green releases...

yeah, i do not want to deal with defense sliders. this just breaks stuff like layups or post scoring...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »