Home

Mynba…. What’s the deal with the dynamic potential?

This is a discussion on Mynba…. What’s the deal with the dynamic potential? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2024, 12:33 PM   #1
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0
Mynba…. What’s the deal with the dynamic potential?

Like seriously. I don’t ever remember it being this bad or this random. I am seeing players “potential” and “max potential” dropping and locking way before their “peak age”, and for unwarranted reasons. Then watching a player with zero game time get “potential” and “max potential” increases.

Example. Drafted an “3 level shot creator” point guard at #5 overall. Had a really good year. Didn’t win rookie of the year but lead all rookies in scoring with 18.6 ppg on 28 minutes a game. He was only 20 when drafted and peak age is from 27-31. When I drafted him he was a 77 overall and had 89 regular potential and 89 max potential (they matched). Minimum potential was 84.

I go through the offseason and at the start of the next season he is a 78 overall, and his max potential and regular potential are both locked at 78!!!! Why did he go down after pretty much meeting expectations for a #5 overall pick day one starter? I also drafted a center at #11 who was pretty much a finished product. 79 overall with 81 max and regular potential (once again matched) and also a day one starter. Averaged 13 ppg and 11 rpg and 2 blocks a game while averaging 28 minutes. He actually one rookie of the year over my point guard and saw a regular potential increase to 85 and a max potential increase to 86. I understand he won rookie of the year over my point guard, but my point guard more than met expectations and basically gets stuck. Does awards really cause this much fluctuations in development? Does anyone know what causes the dynamic potential to fluctuate so much and what factors I should be looking out for? Any tips to insure my prospects are not busting such as what type of minutes/roles they should be getting? Basically can anyone explain the system to me or is it really just completely random and arbitrary this year?

FYI…. Both had a low bust percentage of 50%. Max potential percentage was 49% on the ppg while max potential percentage on the center was 40%
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2024, 01:10 PM   #2
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Re: Mynba…. What’s the deal with the dynamic potential?

Yeah I really dislike the idea of dynamic potential, personally. IMO it should be 100% static and unchanging (and usually higher than the player will ever achieve), with the dynamic element instead being the likelihood and degree to which someone will boom or bust. This is essentially how I play on PC where we have a little more freedom to manipulate how the game functions, but it's annoying that it doesn't function that way out of the box.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:58 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: Mynba…. What’s the deal with the dynamic potential?

The boom/bust system is good in theory but it isn't implemented that well. Player performance doesn't seem to change if they boom or bust, it's just random chance if they will. You could have someone with 80 potential win ROTY and average 25 and it wouldn't increase.

Back in 2k23 I drafted a 73 ovr player with 91 max potential and 79 regular potential. After his first season, both dropped to a 79 and I barely played him for two seasons. After the end of the third season his max and regular potential went back up to a 91. I have no clue why this happened, not a lot of players would ride the bench for 2 years and still have All-NBA potential. When a player reaches 23 years old their min, regular, and max potential all reach the exact same number, which I guess is their final potential.

Your problem also seems to happen to the CPU as well. In one of my saves most of the league was auto-gen players and there was a severe lack of players above even an 85 ovr.

There's not any ways to improve your players' potential since they removed untapped potential camp (bring it back 2k). Player mentorship could get your young players some extra badges but other than editing their potential yourself you're out of luck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »