Home

NBA 2K14: Opening Scene Of Next-Gen MyCAREER

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14: Opening Scene Of Next-Gen MyCAREER within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NBA 2K14: Opening Scene Of Next-Gen MyCAREER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA
In my opinion it looked like one of those really cheesy PG sports movies.
I had the same reaction and regrettably I admit I'm not feeling it. I understand I shall be in the minority and I'm certain I'd still give the mode a shot (and likely enjoy it) if I were to buy the game, but I've never been a fan of the recent fantasy-pre-determined storyline angle MyPlayer has morphed into the past few years.

Again, I understand the movie script feel is right in the wheelhouse of many folks here, but for me I've found a bit of ambiguity can go a long way toward immersing myself in the mode. As in, I think in many respects it was better to imagine what my player was thinking (things I'd be thinking in real life) instead of hearing scripted dialogue by a weird voice in a weird manner saying things I'd never say (ex: "This is my story and I ain't gonna let nobody write it but me").

I just kind of prefer the feel I had in the original MyPlayer modes, where it felt like it was the real NBA with one different variable (yourself). Now, it kind of gives off a soap opera vibe.

Last edited by VDusen04; 11-11-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Splash Brothers
Ronnie 2K 2K14 ‏@Ronnie2K 10 min
You guys wondering about more voices in MyPLAYER... Do you know how many lines are in 40 hours of gameplay in 1st season alone? #NBA2K14
https://twitter.com/Ronnie2K/status/400070085601001474
So does this mean that there are other voices to choose from that goes along with the lines in the 40 hours of 1st season gameplay? Cause by the looks of what Ronnie said with people wondering about the voices that must mean that there are a couple more voices to choose from & the one Chris manning used on his was just to throw people off to make them think here is only one voice over like previous years.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I had the same reaction and regrettably I admit I'm not feeling it. I understand I shall be in the minority and I'm certain I'd still give the mode a shot (and likely enjoy it) if I were to buy the game, but I've never been a fan of the recent fantasy-pre-determined storyline angle MyPlayer has morphed into the past few years.

Again, I understand the movie script feel is right in the wheelhouse of many folks here, but for me I've found a bit of ambiguity can go a long way toward immersing myself in the mode. As in, I think in many respects it was better to imagine what my player was thinking (things I'd be thinking in real life) instead of hearing scripted dialogue by a weird voice in a weird manner saying things I'd never say (ex: "This is my story and I ain't gonna let nobody write it but me").

I just kind of prefer the feel I had in the original MyPlayer modes, where it felt like it was the real NBA with one different variable (yourself). Now, it kind of gives off a soap opera vibe.
Fully agree
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

Again, I understand the movie script feel is right in the wheelhouse of many folks here, but for me I've found a bit of ambiguity can go a long way toward immersing myself in the mode.

I kind of feel you there.

I watched a bit of the video and... I'm not a fan of a MyPlayer where my own internal dialogue is dictated to me.

Half the fun is pretending that's YOU and creating your own story-- playing against guys you connected with in Summer League, demanding a trade because Darren Collison hates you and won't give you the ball, creating your own "rivals" because they had your number the last time you matched up. Now I can put up with press conferences where the player doesn't sound like you-- because at the very least I could pick the choice that matched the persona I wanted to portray. I can also accept some actual dialogue that's scripted, preferably where I have a choice in response.

But here I'm Generic Urban Guy who has his thoughts thought out for me. It might be a better "story" in some people's view, but I can't "own" it as much.

Anyway, not horrible, but kind of corny. And I'd prefer authentic or allowing my own imagination to fill in the gaps to corny in MyPlayer.

It's kind of funny-- Shepherd in Mass Effect obviously wasn't me, but I could own the character because I made choices and because I never heard their thoughts. If we're going for the RPG angle, there's plenty you can do with scripted dialogue without taking ownership of the character away from them. Scripted internal dialogue is a no-no.

Quote:
As in, I think in many respects it was better to imagine what my player was thinking (things I'd be thinking in real life) instead of hearing scripted dialogue by a weird voice in a weird manner saying things I'd never say (ex: "This is my story and I ain't gonna let nobody write it but me").
The irony here is epic.

"Nobody writes my story but me... and some writer and some voiceover actor at 2K."

"Wait... actually, I'm not writing my story at all."

Last edited by Sundown; 11-11-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkid11
So does this mean that there are other voices to choose from that goes along with the lines in the 40 hours of 1st season gameplay? Cause by the looks of what Ronnie said with people wondering about the voices that must mean that there are a couple more voices to choose from & the one Chris manning used on his was just to throw people off to make them think here is only one voice over like previous years.
No, he was saying that people asking for more than one voice were being ridiculous.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #54
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Wow so from this you can tell it's corny , generic ect really people? my god nitpick more
Old 11-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #55
Fighting a War & Gaming

8and9's Arena

OVR: 9

MyCareer/MyPlayer bored me in the past, hopefully I can get back into it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 0

LMAO at people saying they dont wanna sound like a black guy, when a white guy is the voice actor! Sooo now my question is what do us black people sound like?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »