Home

Pharrell Williams to Curate NBA 2K15 Soundtrack - Official Cover Art Revealed

This is a discussion on Pharrell Williams to Curate NBA 2K15 Soundtrack - Official Cover Art Revealed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #25
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Pharrell Williams to Curate NBA 2K15 Soundtrack - Official Cover Art Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Exactly what legend have they not payed to be in a game? I'm curious to see who this person or persons are.
Charles Barkley
Reggie Miller
Grant Hill
TMac
Yao Ming

Others who weren't great but I'd like to see:

Theo Ratliff, Toni Kukoc (as a Sixer fan I'd like to see these guys added to the 01 Sixers)

Stephon Marbury
Steve Francis

Just off the top. You could bring in those 90s Pacers' teams, 90s Suns' teams, and those mid 2000 Rocket teams - teams guys would play with before the Euro teaams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Pharrell Williams to Curate NBA 2K15 Soundtrack - Official Cover Art Revealed

This actually sounds relatively promising. I understand it's a press release and its goal is to appeal to all, but I admit I did like the sound of "most extensive and musically diverse". I have been pulling for 2K to at least somewhat drift back to the musical diversity their franchise showcased throughout most of their history.

2K13's 90% pop rap rundown was a soundtrack low point for me. I like popular rap, but not exclusively on my soundtrack, particularly when I'd already heard and worn out most of the tracks included. It was sort of the same issue with Kurtis Blow's "Basketball" in 2K12. It was a really cool concept and fun to hear initially but having to hear "We're playin' bassssssssketbawwwwwwl" by force every time we revved up the game became a little grating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
Sidenote: Why does 2K pay these big music guys to come in but won't pay a legend to be put into a game?
It'd be nice to see some small additions to classic teams - perhaps some newer clubs that wouldn't necessitate a ton of payments because some of the players would still be active.

But yeah, I feel like 2K's apparent ability to do things like get Pharrell to curate a soundtrack they could have selected themselves (I feel 2K did a better job than Jay-Z at making a game soundtrack) as well as adding more and more Euro teams (who I assumed receive royalties) should probably come close to squashing the ol' "2K can't add any more classic teams because money" line of reasoning.

That said, I'm always happy and glad when I see the classic teams we do have still remain. Hopefully gamers will be able to edit rosters again next year so squads will not be forced to be filled out with the likes of generic Will Jones and David Williams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJustAguessxX
Why..........why......I don't get it. Hire a DJ who specifically does hip hop and basketball related music. I hate 2k14 soundtrack it's so not a basketball soundtrack, who wants pharrell on here, they feminizing the game.
As I mentioned earlier, I believe the presser's numerous references to musical diversity could be a good thing. For starters, System of a Down is pretty far removed from hip-hop, so their mention could be a solid sign. I do not know Pharrell super well, but from what I've known of his history, he's got solid musical roots - not just from a pop perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodbetatted
So it's going to be a very commercialized track like the jay z track was. Wish they would get less hyped artist or dj because they usually get better songs that aren't commercial
If the tracks are truly diverse and feature a mix of a little bit of everything, I will be pleased. Though, I still believe 2K could have probably just selected a great soundtrack themselves. I'm supposing this is a means of drawing attention to their product with a big name (like Jay-Z in 2K13). It seems their funds now allow for things like this. If the soundtrack ends up being legit, more power to them.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #27
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I guess it might help sell more games? Don't most people play their own music at this point?

Curious thing about the cover, why would NBA2k15 and WWE2k15 not follow the same art direction? It's from the same publisher and the same sports division.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Cool I guess
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 0

had no problem with the previous 2 soundtracks so expect this one to satisfy as well.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #30
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

OVR: 8

Let us add our own music from the HD. Save 2K money and put that money back into game play elements.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Let us add our own music from the HD.
Do either of the next generation consoles allow music to be played from the dash like the XBox360 did?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Let us add our own music from the HD. Save 2K money and put that money back into game play elements.

I miss making my custom arena sounds/music for the NBA2K games. PS4 needs to add ability to add music to the harddrive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »