Home

NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Gameplay, Graphics & Animation (Forbes)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Gameplay, Graphics & Animation (Forbes) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #25
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Great Article on Brian Mazique Experience on 2k18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
the coverage feedback is very helpful and something I'm hoping will help educate users on the quality of the shots they're taking. The metrics are similar to what you find on nba.com but account for more factors (height differential, defender ability, distance/line to the shooter, angle, facing, quality of the contest, badges, and more.) Those factors are then translated to a defensive score that generates one of the feedback categories: (Smothered, Heavily Contested, Lightly Contested, Open, Wide Open) and determines how much of a bonus or penalty is applied to the shot chance. There are a ton of other factors that go into shot making, but that's the gist of the Shot Feedback system.
Oh wow this sounds very nice i might leave that on then. Thanks for the feedback
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #26
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes
The offensive A.I. was really good last year, but there's now a system match component that tells you how well suited each of your players are to run the scheme of their head coach.

If you go into the settings, you can see a meter that ranges from green to red based on their level of comfort. I looked at the Knicks' setup and it said head coach Jeff Hornacek was running the triangle and it was his preferred system.

Only one of the players on the floor graded well in this system, thus the team would not perform to the best of their abilities. You can even cycle through the offensive sets and there's a star rating that will grade the fit for the lineup.

It's an amazing tool that may go unnoticed.
This sounds very similar to something I had requested to Da_Czar a couple years back, similar to how Madden re-rates players based off of scheme and fit. Small addition but I like this, should add another wrinkle to MyGM/MyLeague when trying to effectively build a roster.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 08-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Everything sounds promising. I had some major gripes in 2K17 that I really hope were addressed...

- Players sliding into position to receive passes without moving their feet, especially during inbound passes after a change of possession. Huge eyesore and immersion killer.

- Every player sticking to you like glue on defense when playing against the CPU. This is fine for elite defenders like Kawai, Tony Jefferson, etc..., but even below average defenders would constantly stick to you which made the game frustrating to play at times. Overall the on ball defense needs to be loosened up a little except for elite defenders.

- Getting stuck in 2 man unbreakable animation sequences. Too many times you will get stuck in an animation & not be able to move or go where you want on the floor. It's really glaring during pick n roll sequences. It's like there are invisible force fields on the court at times taking control away from the user.

- CPU ball handlers dribbling the ball in a defenders face without protecting the ball. 2K really needs to add contextual awareness to it's A.I. so CPU knows to protect the ball when in the proximity of a defender.

- Selective ball tangibility. If 2K is not going to make the ball 100% tangible at all times in fear that casuals will complain about too many steals, at least give us sim style players a ball tangibility slider that works. If I turn ball tangibility up to 100, I expect the ball to be 100% tangible at all times. I know there's a steal success slider in the game but it doesn't make the ball 100% tangible when putting it on 100. This is sorely needed in the game.

- CPU defensive A.I. logic. In 2K17 I could literally run a pick n roll all game without the CPU adjusting or making proper rotations.

- Lack of speed differential. Simply put, there's no way a big should be able to keep up with a Russell Westbrook or LeBron in the open floor. 2K tried to remedy this by slowing down the trailing players on fast breaks, but instead of putting a band aid on the problem, just make speed truly matter.

These are the biggest gameplay issues in my opinion that must be addressed.

Everything here is what I've constantly complained about, mentally. I'm not as deep into the game as you or the majority of you guys but these issues are definitely glaring to me when playing 2K17, and then some.

I still love the game despite it's flaws and it doesn't deter me from playing or enjoying it but I would definitely love to see these issues addressed.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #28
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Gameplay, Graphics & Animation (Forbes)

I love Brians reviews. Now, that is what constructive criticism looks everyone

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes
The foul sensitivity in the lane is almost perfect, although the amount of fouls called on shot contests from behind might need to be turned down just a tad. In the build I played, this was almost an automatic whistle, even when there didn't appear to be any contact.
I hope that they don't turn this down.. Who is contesting shots from behind anyways? Shooters must have room to land. I really hope that we will see more fouls this year in general and in 2k17 there were defenders landing on shooters were no foul was called.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #30
Rookie

ifeanyi18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphantom
Good to know. If B/circle controls players off the ball, are there still manual dribble handoffs you can activate or was that feature removed?
He said in a different thread the manual dribble handoffs are still in.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #31
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeanyi18
He said in a different thread the manual dribble handoffs are still in.

It is a menu option either offball control or handoffs you get to choose.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #32
MVP

Re: NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Gameplay, Graphics & Animation (Forbes)

Okay, there's one thing that I really have to know, as it was a feature that got removed for seemingly no reason:

For off-ball players on offense, are we once again able to use/flick the right stick for 'jukes/fakes' on off-ball movement around the court? If not, why in the world was this feature ever taken out in the first place?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »