Home

For Those That Didn't Know, Mike Wang Got Noticed From Posting on the OS Forums (IGN)

This is a discussion on For Those That Didn't Know, Mike Wang Got Noticed From Posting on the OS Forums (IGN) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #17
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: For Those That Didn't Know, Mike Wang Got Noticed From Posting on the OS Forums (

Just watched the whole 1-hour interview. A very candid and inspiring interview. I think we can all relate to his story of being lost as a young guy but wanting to follow his passion.

As a guy who's been following Mike for many years now it's been great to watch the rise of nba 2k: From the underdog to the dominant game in the genre. An example of passion and quality beating out hype. EA had all the hype and brand name recognition, but 2k just chipped away a little each year by improving their game and making smart moves. It's awesome to hear about the devs' loyalty to the game as well. You know with the game in their hands it will only continue to get better.

You can relax, Mike. I think you've more than made up for leaving at this point. Haha.

Last edited by blues rocker; 12-27-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #18
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: For Those That Didn't Know, Mike Wang Got Noticed From Posting on the OS Forums (

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
Just watched the whole 1-hour interview. A very candid and inspiring interview. I think we can all relate to his story of being lost as a young guy but wanting to follow his passion.

As a guy who's been following Mike for many years now it's been great to watch the rise of nba 2k: From the underdog to the dominant game in the genre. An example of passion and quality beating out hype. EA had all the hype and brand name recognition, but 2k just chipped away a little each year by improving their game and making smart moves. It's awesome to hear about the devs' loyalty to the game as well. You know with the game in their hands it will only continue to get better.

You can relax, Mike. I think you've more than made up for leaving at this point. Haha.
Yep. I watched the hour interview as well. Mike seems like a cool dude. I'm a firm believer in passion in a product and I feel like that's not only what separates Live from NBA 2K, but 2K from EA as a whole. Even going back to football. Mike is a hoop head and I think that bleeds into the product, even with 2K doing a million things at once. After seeing Mikes story I'm happy for his and 2Ks success.

Edit: The tidbit about next gen (25 min mark) has me intrigued about what they may be able to come up with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by Junior Moe; 12-27-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 10

Yea he's being pretty honest. Probably not 100% honest, but EA blew it I think. We can only hope Mike gets red flagged up about micros/arcade gameplay eventually and puts his foot down. Go Mike.

The downfall of 2k is so interesting. I guess things go in waves. I dunno if I ever thought Live was all-out the best game vs 2k, even original 2k. 2k cam (altho not a new idea, they were the first gm that did the cam that was actually good) was really a cool idea.

2k just had this indie chip on their shoulder vibe and then they didn't. The people who pour money into these games have no issue, they're just like hmm... EA isn't selling more, now 2k is, let's invest in 2k and bleed money out of people. haha.

-Smak
Old 12-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #20
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

I dont think Mike Wang is going to stand up to Take Two and the microtransactions in these games, heck he may even be a big part of integrating them into the games.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #21
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
I dont think Mike Wang is going to stand up to Take Two and the microtransactions in these games, heck he may even be a big part of integrating them into the games.
Why should he? Mike reiterated that his role is gameplay. That's his focus. If gamers hate microtransactions so much then they need to stop breaking records every year buying it. As long as that's the case (because, you know, money...) you guys really need to just accept that as a reality of gaming today. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #22
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iasounis
That is correct.
yes his rosters were amazing.... now we have him at 2k and the rosters aren't nearly as good how as they were then. that's why we got people making rosters to do exactly what he used to do..

not to mention the while progression and regression mess up

and the intangible slider

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

Games I'm playing: NBA 2k, Madden, MLB the Show, Division 2, Warzone

Please subscribe to my youtube channel for gaming content. https://youtu.be/PXU8cqLnq6w
Old 12-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
Why should he? Mike reiterated that his role is gameplay. That's his focus. If gamers hate microtransactions so much then they need to stop breaking records every year buying it. As long as that's the case (because, you know, money...) you guys really need to just accept that as a reality of gaming today. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Exactly, people need to take responsibility for why some of these things continue to exist in games. Micro-transactions exist because people complained that grinding was too time consuming and that they would be open to paying a small fee to upgrade faster, that's how it started in 2k, gamers now want to be a 99 a week after a game release.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:09 PM   #24
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
Exactly, people need to take responsibility for why some of these things continue to exist in games. Micro-transactions exist because people complained that grinding was too time consuming and that they would be open to paying a small fee to upgrade faster, that's how it started in 2k, gamers now want to be a 99 a week after a game release.
Yep. Everyone hates microtransactions yet and still they sell more every year. And it's not just 2K. All of these gaming companies are killing it. At which point do you either accept that this is what it is now or move on from gaming. I don't like it myself, but it is what it is.

I bought every 10$ DLC for Spiderman. After beating them all, it probably wasn't worth half the price of the game for maybe 5 hours of new stuff. But I wanted it, so I bought it, and I enjoyed it. I could have waited until next year and got it all for cheap, but I didn't want to wait. Like anything else it comes down to what it's worth to you. I don't care to weigh whether its ethical or greedy or whatever. Companies want money. This doesn't surprise me at all. If they go too far, like Star Wars BF2 did, the market will put them in their place. There is a line.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »