Home

The NBA and 2K Have Agreed to a Huge New License Deal, What Does it Mean?

This is a discussion on The NBA and 2K Have Agreed to a Huge New License Deal, What Does it Mean? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
The NBA and 2K Have Agreed to a Huge New License Deal, What Does it Mean?

Yesterday, 2K and the NBA announced a huge $1.1 billion licensing partnership that immediately had more questions...

Written By: Operation Sports

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
It means there will be no competition and the games will get progressively worse over the years.* No competition means you don't have to try as hard and you can nickel and dime your customers more.* These types of deals are never a good thing.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:08 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
What marty said.

No competition, no innovation. Look what happened to Madden and 2ks WWE. How long until the offline aspect of the game is just shelved completely. Game is already on my no buy list for the VC and mycareer being tied to online
Old 01-17-2019, 03:52 AM   #4
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

OVR: 16
So another sports franchise dies...no competition just encourages lackluster annual attempts at making money from customers at the biggest profit margin imaginable even at the cost of quality.* Look at WWE, Madden, The Show...as soon as the competition disappeared the quality annual improvements almost came to a complete standstill.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #5
Rookie

KennyJ1976's Arena

Let's be honest here. *Is NBA Live really looked at as competition *towards 2K or is it just another NBA licensed game on the market? *Live is so far behind 2K that it may as well not even be there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Pro

Sparkles's Arena

OVR: 6
Tbh the only excitement I got out of this article was the possibility of MVP Baseball returning hahaha. I think EA would kill it in that department, and get better sales than Live. I’m an Xbox guy so the necessity for a baseball game has been making me go insane
NHL New Jersey Devils
EPL Manchester United
NCAA FB Pittsburgh Panthers
NCAA BB Pittsburgh Panthers
Old 01-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
Rookie

Re: The NBA and 2K Have Agreed to a Huge New License Deal, What Does it Mean?

Well hopefully EA puts more resources into NHL and a baseball game. I don’t think Live challenged NBA2K enough. If only the NFL allowed 2K to make a licensed football game.. still bitter about that one
Old 01-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
I kind of disagree with the no competition part.* Yes this might mean that there is no direct NBA competition but if 2K wants to keep their team motivated I would just use other sports games, and maybe top video games in general, as the source for competition.* Instead of the goal being the best NBA/basketball videogame they can strive to be the best sports game (which I believe they already strive for) or even the best videogame overall.

But that's all on how 2k, the management, and the developers handle the situation.* They could use the lack of competition as an excuse to be complacent or they can find inspiration elsewhere to stay motivated.* I like to think game developers want to make the best game they can.* I can't imagine any developer would be satisfied with releasing a product viewed as being inferior to their past work or a product that makes the developers appear lazy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »