Home

NBA 2K10 Draft Combine: 2K's DLC Gamble (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K10 Draft Combine: 2K's DLC Gamble (Gamespot) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #41
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58
Re: NBA 2K10 Draft Combine: 2K's DLC Gamble (Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
DNA would have that information precise in terms of success on left hand vs. right, left hand when going left vs. right, etc. and someone like 2K Insider looks at some video of Rose and determines that he deserves a "75" in off-hand... big difference.

DC's just worried about a whole other set of ratings that the 2K Insider will screw up, things that can't even be seen or argued about or quantified as easily as "3PT shooting".
This is why 2K should have Insiders VS a Insider. We all had problems with the rating last year. Here is to hoping some homework was done and will be done throughout the season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #42
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
LOL @ contest shot and rebounding drills...

Man, if those aspects of the game aren't any better this year, we're gonna have some badly-rated career mode players.. can't contest a shot or box out to save your life in 2K9 drills heh...

And on the visuals tip, I don't see how people like these screens except the decent-looking facial hair. He looks decent for a CAP I guess, but the skin textures are horrible. I know it's a WIP and the early shots are always disappointing, but it's like night and day looking at that then the Live shots. Not starting a war, just thought I'd mention it since so many people (in the initial combine thread too) were liking the graphics.
Comparing CAP skin textures to screenshots of real players may be a little unfair. No matter how good a CAP feature is it will never present the kind of detail and look of a real digital athlete imo. I think people are more impressed with the amount of options available in CAP this year then the graphics in general. You can certainly criticize the final character model but the CAP feature looks to be the best 2k has done in the series based on those screens. I think its safe to speculate that VC did improve atleast one part of the game. IMO graphics should not be the main concern of 2k10 as it had more pressing issues. I mean you no disrespect.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 08-04-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
DNA would have that information precise in terms of success on left hand vs. right, left hand when going left vs. right, etc. and someone like 2K Insider looks at some video of Rose and determines that he deserves a "75" in off-hand... big difference.
Is that an OS assumption or was that proven at some point? Where do I go to get the scoops you guys get?!
Old 08-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #44
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22

Was about to say the same Ninja. I wouldn't compare 2K's generally bad CAP skin textures to NBA models.

That said, the skin models on the CAPs are bad imo.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #45
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by elev8rmuzik
Is that an OS assumption or was that proven at some point? Where do I go to get the scoops you guys get?!
What do you mean? Proven that DNA gets real information, or proven that the 2K Insider just kinda analyzes the players as he sees fit and then assigns them ratings? DNA is 100% legit (execution and implementation into the game is one thing, but the data is rock-solid)... As far as the 2K Insider goes, I think there's team input on the ratings as well, but it's basically his domain and all goes back to his take on things.

NINJAK2 -- yeah, I only mentioned it because other people had specifically mentioned how nice the CAF models looked. I know it's an unfair comparison to look at some random CAP vs that Melo screenshot Live put out, but I was just saying that the skin textures looked really weak and it looks exactly like 2K9 minus the improved facial hair. It's far too early to judge visuals and I know that, it was just an observation since I was surprised that others were fans of the graphics. I agree that graphics need not be 2K10's focus either... they've got plenty of more important things to work on... like making sure people can actually y'know, play Team Up without having to try 15 different times next year, for example.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #46
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by elev8rmuzik
I don't understand the difference between some scouting tool or some joe. Ultimately, the same data has to be accounted for no matter who or what is processing it ... right?
No it is NOT the same thing. One is opinion based, the other is mathematically based.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
No it is NOT the same thing. One is opinion based, the other is mathematically based.
Maybe I'm assuming that it has to be derived from the same data.

Both systems have to be set up to achieve a specific result, or else there'd be no reason to have a system. It can't be, "Well I'm just going to rate this guy a 75 because I like his shoes". There's got to be a method to it.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #48
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
What do you mean? Proven that DNA gets real information, or proven that the 2K Insider just kinda analyzes the players as he sees fit and then assigns them ratings? DNA is 100% legit (execution and implementation into the game is one thing, but the data is rock-solid)... As far as the 2K Insider goes, I think there's team input on the ratings as well, but it's basically his domain and all goes back to his take on things.

NINJAK2 -- yeah, I only mentioned it because other people had specifically mentioned how nice the CAF models looked. I know it's an unfair comparison to look at some random CAP vs that Melo screenshot Live put out, but I was just saying that the skin textures looked really weak and it looks exactly like 2K9 minus the improved facial hair. It's far too early to judge visuals and I know that, it was just an observation since I was surprised that others were fans of the graphics. I agree that graphics need not be 2K10's focus either... they've got plenty of more important things to work on... like making sure people can actually y'know, play Team Up without having to try 15 different times next year, for example.
Ok I got you now Stumble. I still like the facial look of the CAPS I've seen so far as they atleast look like human beings or someone you might see on the street compared to 2k9's. I'll leave the skin texture argument in your capable hands.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »