Home

NBA Today and "enhanced commentary."

This is a discussion on NBA Today and "enhanced commentary." within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #25
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: NBA Today and "enhanced commentary."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
The reviewer sounded very impressed with what he heard, so I'm sure it's different at the very least. I don't think he would have frontloaded his preview with the commentary if he wasn't somewhat blown away by it.
Thats how I look at it.....hopefully the final product reflects this...I dont see the point of expecting it not to lol to each thier own though...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #26
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melman
Yeah they need to scratch alotta stuff out from last year and expand.

-Take Kenny Smith out of the audio when they get excited "OOOHH" after a nasty dunk u can still hear him in there (2k mustu thought we wouldnt pick up on this)

-Use tons of different line (how many times is Clark gonna tell me "my player has my team playing in Harmony"

I like the player references but they should stick to more of whats goin on on the court, and not make it repetitive by talking about "Kobe not being happy in LA".

-They should talk more about matchups and mismatches

-In your season mode they should talk about your division and your standing in the East, and after the game they should talk about where you stand after the game (ex MLB 09 the show).

-In the playoffs they should talk about the series, deficits, storylines, you next playoff matchup in the corresponding bracket

-Also would be nice if you win the championship they talk about it the next year in your season mode. If you play the team you matched up in the finals they should say "nba finals rematch".

-Talk about possible nba finals matchups if the top 2 seeds are playing one another.

-During downtime,Talk about the city, attractions, the people of that city, the weather, whether or not its a basketball city.

-Talk about the history of the franchise, past championships

-Also they should record a bunch of random names so people that make created players can hear their names (maybe stretchin it....some people just have wierd names, lol)
good post melman I agree.

I just hope they continue to improve. Storylines would be nice !
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
I really hope they have some special commentary for created players. They need to throw things in there like,"This kid really has a lot of potential." or if you're leading in a stat, they need to mention,"...the leagues scoring leader." of if you've just been hot the past few games, it would be awesome for them to mention something like that.

I want my created player to be recognized as a league star rather than just some gimp unknown unnamed generic loser like it's felt in all the others.

Best thing I've heard in these games is,"Number 42 is just on a roll, not only is he leading his team in scoring, but he's doing it in a very efficient rate."

And how about MVP chants for your created player if you win that award or are at least a competitor for the MVP?
I think I heard the commentary aknowledge the fact that a generated rookie was one of the best in the league at some point in his career.

But you're right, they can do so much more for fictionnal players. The MVP chant would be amazing
Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 7

They need to add a lot more names for the created players this year. There are still tons of common first and last names that aren't in the game. College Hoops 2k8 pretty much hit the nail on the hammer when it came to CAP names, why can't NBA 2k get all the names from college hoops?

They should start having commentary for our CAP's too, If my created player won MVP, had an all star appearance, or any other kind of accomplishment, I wanna hear the commentators talk about it. I Just hope they have the commentary updated season after season in association mode because I'm in my 3rd year and I'm still hearing the same stuff from the 08-09 season.

Bring NFL 2k Football back

Last edited by B-Wills; 08-11-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #29
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAP19
It wasn't even confirmed that it'll be any different than if you chose those two teams normally in a Quick Game. Why are you assuming it'll be like Live's NBA Rewind?
Because they have the option of playing the games of previous nights. It would leave me to believe that they would attempt to match the competition's option implemented last installment. It would also have me to believe that they would try to match the option by incorporating 82games option making it possibly different everytime it was attempted. Though it's not written in stone, I'm more than likely to think that common sense would show me that. So to answer your question, it's probably because they have the ingredients to match that option of the competitions. Now, reality is another thing because 2K isn't a saint. We'll see if it's just wishful assuming.......
Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 17

Yeah can't wait to hear the commentary for NBA 2K10. They said that they made some major improvements on this. Be a big deal to hear more in depth about the game you are playing through their commentary. To bad they couldn't get people like Jeff van gundy, Marc Jackson, or Reggie Miller. But with the improvements in 2K10 maybe it will make up for all that.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc50
Yeah can't wait to hear the commentary for NBA 2K10. They said that they made some major improvements on this. Be a big deal to hear more in depth about the game you are playing through their commentary. To bad they couldn't get people like Jeff van gundy, Marc Jackson, or Reggie Miller. But with the improvements in 2K10 maybe it will make up for all that.
Van Gundy, yes. Marc Jackson, no. I would not be able to take him saying " so and so takes it right to the cup", "thats a good attempt but it didnt go in the cup". Sorry just annoys me the number of times he says 'cup' in a single broadcast, not to mention a few other phrases he says that get on my nerves. Van Gundy would be great though
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
How much did this guy play 2K9? When you boot that up the commentary doesn't jump out as terrible, it comes after playing the game for more than a month. Plus he basically said they were chit-chatting about the Pau Gasol trade, which is VERY old news that nobody really talks about anymore and helps the game to sound dated a few months after release. If that's the kind of things they added (instead of a dynamic commentary system like Live will have with somewhat generic/malleable storylines that update throughout the season), I think we'll be getting essentially the same thing as 2K9 except with more lines recorded.

Anyway, I just don't have much confidence in that aspect of 2K games (or in game reviewers, as it turns out). The vid from MLB 2K9 sounded good though -- basketball is just so much faster that it's hard to make it sound right without them cutting themselves off (which is really what needs to happen) and it leaves less room for the long conversations as it seems were happening in MLB... that would just sound kind of unnatural in an NBA environment because there's almost always something happening on the court.. If we just get longer scripted segments where Kellogg and Harlan are BSing about things that have a date/period attached to them, the commentary will still be worthless about 2 months after release.

Actually, if you watch real games you'll notice that the commentators really don't follow the on court action all the time, and spend way to much time making jokes and telling stories. More chit chat between commentators would actually make the commentary more realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »