Home

Top 5 SFs of all time

This is a discussion on Top 5 SFs of all time within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Top 5 SFs of all time

Last night me and some friend were talking about the best players of all time and in the nba today. I said LeBron is one of the best to ever play basketball... they said he isn't even top 25 and that he isn't even a top 5 SF all time...
I think LeBron is the best all around SF to ever play, and he still has about 7-8 years to add to his legacy.

Here is a list of players my friends said are better than LeBron (in no order or ranking)
Larry Bird, Elgin Baylor, Julius Erving, James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, Scottie Pippen, Rick Barry, and John Havlicek.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I was arguing that players back in the 60s to the mid 70s would not make it in the nba today. I just don't see how they could keep up the athleticism of the NBA today, not to mention that fact that the players just werent as good back then as they are today.

My friends said that if LeBron played during the 80s or 90s that he would not make the all star team once...

The worst part is my friends were being serious about this, I just understand the level of hate LeBron gets..
Ok maybe he isn't the best SF ever YET, but his level of basketball talent is something we have never seen before. I can get Larry Bird being higher, as of right now, but cmon the rest?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Top 5 SFs of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randombagginz
Last night me and some friend were talking about the best players of all time and in the nba today. I said LeBron is one of the best to ever play basketball... they said he isn't even top 25 and that he isn't even a top 5 SF all time...
I think LeBron is the best all around SF to ever play, and he still has about 7-8 years to add to his legacy.

Here is a list of players my friends said are better than LeBron (in no order or ranking)
Larry Bird, Elgin Baylor, Julius Erving, James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, Scottie Pippen, Rick Barry, and John Havlicek.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I was arguing that players back in the 60s to the mid 70s would not make it in the nba today. I just don't see how they could keep up the athleticism of the NBA today, not to mention that fact that the players just werent as good back then as they are today.

My friends said that if LeBron played during the 80s or 90s that he would not make the all star team once...

The worst part is my friends were being serious about this, I just understand the level of hate LeBron gets..
Ok maybe he isn't the best SF ever YET, but his level of basketball talent is something we have never seen before. I can get Larry Bird being higher, as of right now, but cmon the rest?
Sorry, but I agree with your friends. I'd take a scottie Pippen or Larry Bird over Lebron all day.

Level of talent we haven't seen before? Hmm, personally, Lebron does nothing on the court that makes my jaw drop. And i'm saying that without hate, I just don't find him entertaining. I'd get out of my seat and cheer for a Dr. J double clutch layup, or a Larry Bird last second trey, or a Pippen poster dunk, but whenever I see Lebron play, my honest opinion is 'meh'.

Not to say he isn't an incredible player, he is indeed that, but he does nothing i'd rather see someone else do.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Sorry, but I agree with your friends. I'd take a scottie Pippen or Larry Bird over Lebron all day.

Level of talent we haven't seen before? Hmm, personally, Lebron does nothing on the court that makes my jaw drop. And i'm saying that without hate, I just don't find him entertaining. I'd get out of my seat and cheer for a Dr. J double clutch layup, or a Larry Bird last second trey, or a Pippen poster dunk, but whenever I see Lebron play, my honest opinion is 'meh'.

Not to say he isn't an incredible player, he is indeed that, but he does nothing i'd rather see someone else do.
I get Bird, but do you honestly think think Pippen is better than LeBron? Pippen would have 0 rings without MJ. Pippen was a defensive beast, but other than that LeBron has him beat in almost every category.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
I get Bird, but do you honestly think think Pippen is better than LeBron? Pippen would have 0 rings without MJ. Pippen was a defensive beast, but other than that LeBron has him beat in almost every category.
But the same can be said for any superstar - What happens if Bron wins a ring this year? Everyone will say he wouldn't have done it without Bosh and Wade - which is true, it's a team sport and no one man can do it alone, not even MJ.

And again, yes, i'd take pippen over Lebron all day every day. They are both athletic, both played point forward, both defend and rebound well, I'd simply take Pippen on the fact that I'm bias and grew up watching 80's 90's basketball and find it more entertaining than today's game.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
You take LeBron and 4 clones against Larry Bird and 4 clones and you'll maybe never win a 7 game series with LeBron. Bird running around hitting clutch shots vs. LeBron running around trying to avoid the ball.

Another hundred years or so and we'll be able to test out my clone theory
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Rookie

unc_kobw's Arena

OVR: 2

I HATE LEBRON, cant stand anything about the guy, hope he never wins a ring, and will never admit to all my friends that like Lebron that I think he is any good.

But in the first 3 quarters of a basketball game, he is the 2nd best SF of all time. Its a very possibility he will pass Bird, if he can start winning some rings.

Basketball today is completely different than what it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. You just dont see many white players in the NBA anymore. Im not being racist, Im white, but African Americans/black people are usually so much more athletic and they have changed the way the game is played. Players were rougher back in the day yea, but thats just because they were allowed to be. The NBA has made so many rules or fines players if they get out of hand today. We have a completely different strength training program too. Players get BIG in the NBA now days. Back then, most people were pretty skinny with a few exceptions.

I dont like Lebron, but I will give him his credit when it needs to be there
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #7

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg

You would get out your seat to cheer for a Pippen poster dunk but you find nothing entertaining about LeBron ? really ?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
You would get out your seat to cheer for a Pippen poster dunk but you find nothing entertaining about LeBron ? really ?
Not top 25? is your friend skip bayless?

i understand theres criticisms about his clutch play but wtf, magic had those same things said about him. in the history of the nba we have never seen a package like lebron and people that continually discredit him blow my mind

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »