Home

Thoughts on NBA 2K14 Pick and Roll Improvements (Da_Czar)

This is a discussion on Thoughts on NBA 2K14 Pick and Roll Improvements (Da_Czar) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #49
No Way

demencia_total's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Thoughts on NBA 2K14 Pick and Roll Improvements (Da_Czar)

If logical positioning and movement is implemented correctly this year on offense and defense, then I'm set on current gen for now. This is looking good, but definitely not on the spot yet. Still, worlds better than 2k13.

Great job as always Czar.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #50
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Great analysis, Czar!

But damn! When you showed the NBA footage, I thought you were going to point out 2K14 being similar. As someone that uses a lot of quick plays during user vs user exhibition games, I hope they can address this in a respectable way.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #51
All Star

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I should have clarified but I was speaking how I coach my kids in real life with the help side defense at the stop line in a similar set up like this. I like the guy farthest from the ball at the mid line and half way up the lane when the roll occurs.

I should say if I'm going red (trapping the PNR) I will sometimes bring the top defender on weak side to guard against the slip and weak side corner defender in between corner and wing player to close out on a pass or potentially get a steal.

In 2k on PNR I usually always switch to the hedger...
Good call. I bet that works especially well at the lower (non-college/pro) levels where the point guards don't have the experience to quickly read the defense and make the right pass to the open man. Gives you plenty of time to recover if necessary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #52
MVP

JBCAROLINAKID's Arena

OVR: 5

What roster were you using with that old Suns team on it?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 0

@DaCzar: great breakdown and giving basics of PNR spacing in offense and defense rotation.

But I don't share your opinion about better spacing in 2k14. It's better than 2k13 for sure, but it's not good spacing. As we can see in the first example, Bargniani is setting the screen on the top of the key. Watch Shumpert movement. He should stay on same position and not moving towards Bargniani. Why? Because one player (Nash in this case) can guard 2 players at the same time. Yes it's true that Shumpert is then moving away from Bargniani, but Nash can cover both players at the same time. He should decide to cover Bargniani or Shumpert...

Second worrying thing is Melo cutting. He should stay still in the corner in case his defender decides to help. Again when Melo cuts, his defender can help against rotating player and can cover Melo at the same time.

I hope 2K will fix this on release.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #54
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
Good call. I bet that works especially well at the lower (non-college/pro) levels where the point guards don't have the experience to quickly read the defense and make the right pass to the open man. Gives you plenty of time to recover if necessary.
High school it works great! Actually you do see alot of this in college as there is no 3 seconds in the paint on defense. You will see Michigan st, gonzaga, Virginia to name a few use this same type of defense in the PNR. Obviously they throw multiple different looks though too. The key in all levels is stopping the pg from penetrating and depends on a good hedge or not. You need to work hard against teams that run alot of high PNR. Hedger needs to beat the picker to the spot.

NBA you see a little but it's tough with defensive 3 second rule as you can't just camp out in the paint like you can in college or high school. My philosophy is pack the paint and make a team beat us from deep. If they go 15-20 from 3 point range it just wasn't our day. But obviously we won't leave the same hot shooter open either. But I'll live with the percentages of shots outside the paint as opposed to in it. So we help more drastically than most teams. But that being said, I think NBA off ball defense is for the most part horrible! To many players taking plays off and standing straight up. That drives me crazy! That's why I prefer the college game over the NBA regular season personally. Better offense and defense and generally better basketball all together...
Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #55
Plata o Plomo

iLLosophy's Arena

OVR: 26

I hope these potential improvements happen on B button pick & rolls to and not just PnR playsets.

Nice work Czar.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #56
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0

Will be funny if idiots that "play tight on everyone " are punished because CPU defenders won't rotate to provide paint protection LOL

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »