Home

NBA 2k14 1080p vs 720p Next Gen Console?

This is a discussion on NBA 2k14 1080p vs 720p Next Gen Console? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k14 1080p vs 720p Next Gen Console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
I wish had an 1080p hdtv, I have a 720p tv in my home. Sucks. Is 1080 really that much of a difference? I hear conflicting responses from people. It depends how far you sit from your tv, etc. Is this true?
I wanna know this too. Will next gen games still look better on my 32" 720p tv?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnormal101
I think it's tough deciding between one or the other because there isn't really a launch title exclusive to one that makes me lean one way. The only title making men consider leaning PS4 for now is Mlb the show. But I have both preordered on store credit so not sure whether to get both or just get a PS4 and buy multiple titles.
the one that runs NBA2k the best will be my choice unless its so close that it doesn't matter. I usually go with the one my favorite sports games run best on. MLB the show would be an ice bonus for choosing the PS4 but im no where near a diehard baseball gamer. In reading between the lines, seems like a lot of the guys getting behind the scenes hands on (especially with 2k14) are breaking hard for the PS4.

add to that reports of the MS controller regressing while the PS4 feels more like the 360 controller. the resolution and solid frame rates imply developers are able to utilize sonys hardware better. free online, cheaper price, sleeker unit. seemingly credible rumors of the console being rushed o market, NBA 2k14 in my hands earlier lol. its all adding up for sony this go-around

if MS wants a shot at my money they better get on it lol because ill probably be a single console guy for a long time on this gen

Last edited by TeeDogg; 10-30-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Just a heads up TeeDogg, the PS4 online wont be free anymore. But the rest sounds about right. I got to play the XBox One and the controller did regress unfortunately.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
Banned

Basically, no...you won't notice a difference on a 32" tv...I can start to see a difference getting up to the 50" and larger...I have a lcd rear project 60" Sony and I can tell between a blu ray(1080p) and ESPN on dtv(720p)...the graphics will be the same...all the higher resolution does is basically make it clearer as the picture gets blown up bigger...the XBONE is more than capable to run native 1080p games(4k actually), its the devs that are setting the resolution...I'm sure we will get an explaination soon...resident evil developer already said both systems are the same as far as performance...
Old 10-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMAN OF 5TEELx
Basically, no...you won't notice a difference on a 32" tv...I can start to see a difference getting up to the 50" and larger...I have a lcd rear project 60" Sony and I can tell between a blu ray(1080p) and ESPN on dtv(720p)...the graphics will be the same...all the higher resolution does is basically make it clearer as the picture gets blown up bigger...the XBONE is more than capable to run native 1080p games(4k actually), its the devs that are setting the resolution...I'm sure we will get an explaination soon...resident evil developer already said both systems are the same as far as performance...
I heard the rumor was that XBO that expectations of their games were to be 900p on avg and that ps4 is more capable than XBO at running native 1080p at least at this point.

No consoles support 4k. I don't know who told you that, but consoles do not use HDMI 2.0
Also, whats the difference between upscaled 1080p and native?

Edit: I see that they have 4k listed under specs, but devs are struggling to run 1080p on the new consoles. I doubt 4k becomes a possibility.

I only have a 24inch, most people tell me I won't notice a difference unless I get x Inch size. Its so conflicting. I hope my tv doesn't let me down. It was 240 bucks when I bought it 3 years ago

Last edited by yungflo; 10-30-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
I heard the rumor was that XBO that expectations of their games were to be 900p on avg and that ps4 is more capable than XBO at running native 1080p at least at this point.
I wouldn't listen to rumors. Both consoles can run 1080p just fine. The developers choose what they want their game to run on for performance reasons. Sony and MS have nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Microsoft’s chief of staff for devices, Aaron Greenberg explains "upscale" for those who are confused ((which is everyone))

Recently, it was revealed that Ryse: Son of Rome will run at a native 900p,
which led to quite a bit of criticism due to the fact that the game was
initially touted as playable in 1080p. After a bit of a backlash,
Microsoft’s chief of staff for devices, Aaron Greenberg stepped in and
noted that the Xbox One upscales all games to 1080p.

So, as we prepare to usher in a new era of next-gen console gaming,
why aren’t all Xbox One games held to a native 1080p standard?

“We’ve chosen to let title developers make the trade-off of
resolution versus per-pixel quality in whatever way is most appropriate
to their game content,” Xbox One engineer Andrew Goossen told Digital Foundry.

“A lower resolution generally means that there can be more quality
per pixel. With a high quality scaler and anti-aliasing and render
resolutions such as 720p or ’900p’, some games look better with more GPU
processing going to each pixel than to the number of pixels; others
look better at 1080p with less GPU processing per pixel.”

Goossen further elaborated on Microsoft’s decision to give developers
a choice by referencing the company’s experience with the Xbox 360.

“This matter of choice was a lesson we learned from Xbox 360 where at
launch we had a Technical Certification Requirement mandate that all
titles had to be 720p or better with at least 2x anti-aliasing – and we
later ended up eliminating that TCR as we found it was ultimately better
to allow developers to make the resolution decision themselves.”
Found this posted somewhere

http://xboxonedaily.com/2013/10/micr...om-developers/

Also I play games on my monitor its 23 inches and supports 1080p and I can definitely tell the difference even though its smaller. When I play PC games they look much better with the higher resolution. So as long as your tv supports 1080p you will get the great graphics that everyone else gets. Depends on the quality of the TV

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 10-30-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

In all honesty the fact that the opinion on resolution is coming from Microsoft and not a developer, I wouldn't trust that opinion. Same thing if it was coming from Sony. From my understanding both consoles are capable of 4k but again, 4k is still a bit away from being used, I mean live tv telecast are still 720p. Having 4k capability to me is like having 1080p capability in last gen, it didn't make a difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
Banned

The specs right from ign told me about 4k support...all this hardware spec wars really mean nothing...its more about whose software architecture you trust...M$ always have a way to out perform better hardware specs by software design...M$ custom chip is also stated to be extremely upgradable with firmware as they go...combine that with their smarter choice of less latency ram, eRAM, superior online experience and M$ cloud technology, I'm putting my money behind M$...
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »