Home

2K Sports - Open Source Campaign Proposal

This is a discussion on 2K Sports - Open Source Campaign Proposal within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
Staff Writer

OVR: 29
2K Sports - Open Source Campaign Proposal

Hi OS Team,

I just posted this blog in my arena. Eager to hear the modding community's thoughts on this type of proposal. Could the modding community be unleashed with the release of such tools discussed in the blog?

Thanks everyone.

-SMB

http://www.operationsports.com/SBart...aign-proposal/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2K Sports - Open Source Campaign Proposal

Your idea isn't bad at all; I just don't think 2K would go for it. Increasingly since the release of 2K15, 2K has really locked down the modding community's ability to improve the game.

The old UBR project for 2K14 is a testament to the amazing abilities of modders out there and what they can do when they come together, but that type of freedom is sorely lacking in 2K's recent titles.

Considering the number of former OS guys on 2K's staff (Leftos among them), I would imagine they've pushed for more freedom for the community; I definitely think we have a voice in those offices, I just don't think 2K's higher ups (the guys in charge of the guys making the games) are for it. The in-house tools 2K has to develop and modify the game are likely propriety anyway.

I wish the modding community was as vibrant and alive as it was for 2K14, but the increased restrictions about what we, the user, can control is choking the life out of it.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Your idea isn't bad at all; I just don't think 2K would go for it. Increasingly since the release of 2K15, 2K has really locked down the modding community's ability to improve the game.

The old UBR project for 2K14 is a testament to the amazing abilities of modders out there and what they can do when they come together, but that type of freedom is sorely lacking in 2K's recent titles.

Considering the number of former OS guys on 2K's staff (Leftos among them), I would imagine they've pushed for more freedom for the community; I definitely think we have a voice in those offices, I just don't think 2K's higher ups (the guys in charge of the guys making the games) are for it. The in-house tools 2K has to develop and modify the game are likely propriety anyway.

I wish the modding community was as vibrant and alive as it was for 2K14, but the increased restrictions about what we, the user, can control is choking the life out of it.

I still have 2k14 installed just for UBR. Absolutely amazing mod. Especially the draft classes.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan

Thanks for the feedback! I also do think it is a shame. When you think big picture and what is really going on, I think it all comes back to licensing. The NBA and Players Union licenses are a huge piece to this. Ideally, the NBA and Players will want the game represented in a very specific way, and any deviation from that might not be welcome. The product has to be approved by them ultimately.

The older titles that have been modded already - those are the games to embrace - and adding more tools to the kit for these guys already doing it.

I think that the proprietary tools would be an easy workaround since 2K would be the ones owning those tools and can re-work the legal contracts to release them.

Appreciate the feedback and read.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBartlett
Thanks for the feedback! I also do think it is a shame. When you think big picture and what is really going on, I think it all comes back to licensing. The NBA and Players Union licenses are a huge piece to this. Ideally, the NBA and Players will want the game represented in a very specific way, and any deviation from that might not be welcome. The product has to be approved by them ultimately.

The older titles that have been modded already - those are the games to embrace - and adding more tools to the kit for these guys already doing it.

I think that the proprietary tools would be an easy workaround since 2K would be the ones owning those tools and can re-work the legal contracts to release them.

Appreciate the feedback and read.
2k14 is still installed on my PC strictly for the UBR rosters. I really believe that if the modders got access to 2K15 in that way, they'd blow it out of the water. Imagine UBR 2K14 with updated graphics of 2K15, and the possibilities are really endless.

I think it would give a good sales boost for the previous iterations of the series, and further bolster the shrinking PC community.

2K17 has been better than the last two iterations as far as modding goes, thanks to the Chinese guy who put out the editor, which has given PC users the ability to manipulate things more so than than the last two years (classic draft classes for instance) but full classic rosters, as well season mods, are still well out of reach due to the difficulties in dealing with the files.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
Staff Writer

I guess the next question, and I might open a new thread for this: If we had the choice, what kind of in-game tool or developer tool would be the most in demand and present the most utility for gamers?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBartlett
I guess the next question, and I might open a new thread for this: If we had the choice, what kind of in-game tool or developer tool would be the most in demand and present the most utility for gamers?
I would think easy to use roster editors would be among the top draws -- possibly a modeler import/export function so player models could be altered/created so classic players with bad models could get a much-needed overhaul.

Anything that would make editing and changing rosters/players faster and simpler to do (with more depth if possible) would be better. The quick-edit function in the game is a step in the right direction on that front, but it doesn't allow you to do everything related to that player.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:43 PM   #8
Staff Writer

I think those would be great and also difficult from a licensing perspective. A player likeness is something highly protected from an IP standpoint which is going back to your first point to why 2K would not end up agreeing to releasing those things.

It's a shame how much control money has over all of these options but that's the business.

I was thinking along the lines of on-screen gameplay mechanics, sliders, visual feedback, and tools? Anything there?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »