Home

NBA Elite 11 Impressions (Kotaku)

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11 Impressions (Kotaku) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #25
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: NBA Elite 11 Impressions (Kotaku)

Honestly who cares about people's Impressions....why aren't we getting footage....I want to see and make my own impressions. So far E3 didn't deliver this season...basketball sports fans got hosed.

Maybe we'll get some nice gameplay videos in August or September. Because for now I don't see any news past more lame screenshots that are all pre-released and unfinished edits. And some more trailers of live action gameplay and empty stadiums.

Just disappointed overall...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadleft
Interesting take, but to me the simple reason to not run in circles and throw up 3's is because it won't work as in real life. If effective defense is built into the game where the presence of a defender and a hand in the face makes the shot a lot more difficult or unlikely to go in there's no need of an artificial challenge such as can you push a stick in a straight line, etc. One would be required to use basketball knowledge to get open shots or good looks at the basket. That makes it a simulation of what basketball is about not a video game with basketball aspects.

I am not against the shot stick, I feel innovations such as those should be used to add functionality that previously wasn't possible, but not add a challenge that really doesn't exist in basketball. The latter in my opinion drives the game away from being a sim. IRL the mechanics of shooting a basketball aren't that hard it's being able to do them successfully with the various challenges brought on by the game. I don't mean I should be able to shoot with my eyes close using the shot stick, I just mean it shouldn't be what the challenge of the game is about. If the shot stick is "the challenge" you'll have guys that don't even know what a pick is mastering the shot stick and effectively playing the game. So don't get me wrong if the shot stick means I don't need a layup solution movie to get to the basket but I can do it on my own, I am all for it, but if it means no matter how open I am I got to master the split second release and ability to push a stick straight to score then we're not playing basketball it's the Shot Stick Challenge!

Further I haven't heard a single thing about "...we've improved game play..." I's been you can now do all this special stuff with the controls. Instantly that reminds me of the introduction of freestyle dribbling. Now guys can do all kinds of stuff that a real life player never could simply by mastering controls. I want DNA improved, and stuff like that, you know things that makes teams bring about challenges that are based on personnel whether it's CPU or human controlled. I want it so a player that sees Rondo high overall rating and PPG statistics but doesn't realize he doesn't have a consistent jumper can't succeed shooting jumpers w/Rondo, not consistently anyway. My fear is: Master the stick get wide open J's w/non-shooters and whamo! success! Also I can see the game looking like an "And-1 mixed tape". That's just me though, if others don't feel that way so be it. At this point EA is looking for sales and I think the average fan knows nothing about real basketball fundamentals so to entice them you'll need to offer a highlight real in every play. Kobe hitting in your face fade aways, LBJ trucking down the lane, D. Howard spin move dunk, etc. That'll be sim because I saw it on TV. In the thread about camera angles some say it isn't sim if doesn't look like I'm watching it on TV. I say it's a sim of PLAYING basketball not watching it.
Surely though the shot stick mechanic will be harder to use with non-shooters and will also be harder to use when not open with a defenders hand in your face? I'm sure that's how they described it? This would still work to a "real" basketball fan's advantage as trying to get the open shot would be more advantageous then shooting when guarded. This would then obviously minimize luck while still giving that realistic edge as we all know professional players can make a shot with a defenders hand in their face.

Last edited by natedZA; 06-17-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Honestly who cares about people's Impressions....why aren't we getting footage....I want to see and make my own impressions. So far E3 didn't deliver this season...basketball sports fans got hosed.

Maybe we'll get some nice gameplay videos in August or September. Because for now I don't see any news past more lame screenshots that are all pre-released and unfinished edits. And some more trailers of live action gameplay and empty stadiums.

Just disappointed overall...
I agree completely. I remember in the past they used to show us some footage but the past two years both companies havent shown that much at e3. It always just closed door impressions now. It sucks because you have games that are coming out later than the basketball games and they have full gameplay and info on them.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #28
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac0322
I agree completely. I remember in the past they used to show us some footage but the past two years both companies havent shown that much at e3. It always just closed door impressions now. It sucks because you have games that are coming out later than the basketball games and they have full gameplay and info on them.
See you hit that right on the nose...Games coming out way past the basketball games, have full gameplay demos running. Showing us something, and overall explaining additions and so forth. Just amazing me, the basketball games coming out in 4 months and we get nothing. 3 lame screenshots per company. Minus the extra one IGN released of other guys playing the game, I mean really?

That is just mediocre and poor marketing, last two E3's have been trash. Why even announce your going to be at E3 if you already know the public can't attend, don't you think we at least deserve to see some online footage or something, since we are the ones buying the games. And then you get tons of articles of I see that they are doing this, and I've seen these graphics, I saw this presentation.

I don't care anymore what people saw, I buy my games based on, SHOW ME!!!! You can tell me anything, but seeing is believing!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
See you hit that right on the nose...Games coming out way past the basketball games, have full gameplay demos running. Showing us something, and overall explaining additions and so forth. Just amazing me, the basketball games coming out in 4 months and we get nothing. 3 lame screenshots per company. Minus the extra one IGN released of other guys playing the game, I mean really?

That is just mediocre and poor marketing, last two E3's have been trash. Why even announce your going to be at E3 if you already know the public can't attend, don't you think we at least deserve to see some online footage or something, since we are the ones buying the games. And then you get tons of articles of I see that they are doing this, and I've seen these graphics, I saw this presentation.

I don't care anymore what people saw, I buy my games based on, SHOW ME!!!! You can tell me anything, but seeing is believing!

Amen brother! Amen!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #30
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Maybe they don't want to show footage of an incomplete game that is 5 months away so they get killed on the boards and in the media. I can't blame EA or 2k in that regard. When they are ready to show it they will.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #31
MVP

CX1329's Arena

OVR: 16

I for one welcome the implementation of the skill based shot stick. With this system, I won't feel like I'm being cheated if I miss an open shot, unlike in 2K10 or Live.

However, like others have said, it needs to reward players for playing good basketball and punish those who enjoy jacking up contested 3s all day long.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Maybe they don't want to show footage of an incomplete game that is 5 months away so they get killed on the boards and in the media. I can't blame EA or 2k in that regard. When they are ready to show it they will.
this.

It amuses how people try to **** on w.i.p games. Devs can get a whole lot more done when you're dealing with code based/runtime gamplay engines(Elite) vs animation based ones(LIVE/2k). I talked to one of the producers at e3 this week and they have a real lofty goal for this series, but I don't think they will get quite there this year. It will be interesting to see how close they get though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »