Home

NBA Elite 11 Video: Kevin Durant, Brandon Jennings & Stephen Curry Talk New Controls

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11 Video: Kevin Durant, Brandon Jennings & Stephen Curry Talk New Controls within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #49
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23
Re: NBA Elite 11 Video: Kevin Durant, Brandon Jennings & Stephen Curry Talk New Contr

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxinem
thanx 4 tha feedback and I totally understand wut ur sayin.... if it was the users fault that grants shot was blocked then u have merit!! but if he held on to tha ball for the sake of more power than that wud b tha problem I was referring to! I can't wait for the demo to c for myself... but hope, will help a man
facing death keep his faith! so I hope everything will b smoothed out by gametime cuz u guys have alot of our faith riding on this one! and I say that bcuz there were quite a few things that I was not pleased with in that video, not just the blocked shot.... and with 2 months left til money time for u guys... I'm beginning to feel like wut we see is wut were goin to get bcuz u guys keep showin it to us!!!

so once again.. thanx for the feedback, and I still believe in u guys!!
Believe me, the game changes drastically (both for the better and for the worse) every single week. It's in constant flux, up and down, but generally on an upwards trend.

I can't say for sure what the game will be like when it's done, but we're working very, very hard to make it as good as possible.

Thanks for the encouragement. Makes the late nights worth it.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 14
Another thing that has me worried is the feeling of lack of weight. The players seem to be changing directions without the proper weight shifiting if any at all. That's been the case when they're getting off the ground as well.

rEAanimator, am I wrong? Could you elaborate on that?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #51
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23
Re: NBA Elite 11 Video: Kevin Durant, Brandon Jennings & Stephen Curry Talk New Contr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantecamp21
Another thing that has me worried is the feeling of lack of weight. The players seem to be changing directions without the proper weight shifiting if any at all. That's been the case when they're getting off the ground as well.

rEAanimator, am I wrong? Could you elaborate on that?
No, you're bang on. It's one of the biggest visual flaws in the game right now and we have people working to fix it.

The honest answer is that some of it will be fixed, and some of it won't. I really think we can fix a large portion of it, but I know it won't be perfect.

Getting off the ground is a perfect example of where we've had to make tradeoffs between look and feel. People have complained about blocking in the past and how you had to jump before the shooter starts his anim if you want any hope of blocking the shot.

With the new one to one controls, we've given the user the control they need to play effective defense.

But because the game can't anticipate what the user is about to do, we have to make tradeoffs to the animations to make the game play as close to real life as possible.

But that doesn't excuse the weightless feeling when moving around on defense. That's something I think we can address before the game ships.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #52
Banned

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
We've got another thread talking about the early/late shot mechanic, and I think there are some valid points and good suggestions in that thread.

However, I don't feel that this criticism is really fair. Let me explain why.

My understanding of the controls in Live last year is that the timing of the button release would influence the likelihood that the shot would go in. But you had little to no control over when the shot would be released. Not only that, but the "perfect" release time was the peak of the jump shot when the player released the ball (more or less).

The blocked shot you're referring to in the video happens at the peak of the shot, which is also the "perfect" time to release the ball in Elite. This is not different from last year, and is pretty much common practice in basketball sim games (as far as I understand it).

Now in Elite this year, you have the freedom to release the shot at ANY time in the shot animation. That level of control is unprecedented.

The timing window will be smaller/larger depending on ratings and the difficulty of the shot.

What this means is that the shot in this video may very well have still gone in had the user released earlier. Remember, you don't have to wait until the "perfect" release point to get the basket. If you have a skilled shooter, are close to the net or have an uncontested shot you can release early or late and still get the shot in.

How early and how late depends on a lot of factors as I mentioned. But these are things that you can learn, and with practice you can get better and better over time.

Had the shot HUD been displayed in this video you would have seen all the options open to the shooter. And you'll get that info when playing the game in practice mode.

I hope what I've explained makes sense. There are definitely animation glitches in the video which is to be expected with a work in progress.

But don't take the fact that this one shot happened to be blocked to mean that the shooting system is fundamentally broken.

The bottom line is you have an incredible amount of control over your shots in Elite, more so than any other basketball game that I've seen.

I can't wait until you guys get a chance to try the demo when it comes out, and you'll understand what I mean.
So what does the power meter look like for Yao Ming compared to Ray Allen? Since one has a lightning release and the other is very slow, does the meter go quicker for Allen than to Yao? So with Allen I can get to the sweet spot faster than with Yao?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Getting off the ground is a perfect example of where we've had to make tradeoffs between look and feel. People have complained about blocking in the past and how you had to jump before the shooter starts his anim if you want any hope of blocking the shot.
I'd say the biggest problem wasn't necessarily the responsiveness of blocked shots, it was the animation feedback. Live 10 usually gave you a good result in terms of what shots were blocked and when, but they looked horrible with rampant animations and half the time it looked like they were being blocked from the elbow, downwards.

I don't mind a small gather before a block, it means you really have to anticipate, it just has to LOOK good.

Last edited by dirtypuppet; 07-13-2010 at 01:40 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #54
Pro

OVR: 28

Haha, I just noticed a couple of fans wearing Sonics jerseys towards the end when durant is shooting.

http://www.myspace.com/RD253
Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
2. This does look pretty jarring in the video. I'm impressed you noticed. I had to watch it a few times myself to be sure of what I was seeing, with the cross fade happening at the same time.

I just went into ANT (our animation and gameplay tool) and verified that there are 12 frames of blend from dribbling to a quick shot gather.

So I cannot explain what's in the video, but I was not able to reproduce that problem here.

Could be a bug, or could be something that has already been fixed.

There might be technically 12 frames (supposedly) but all I see when looking at the layup is one pose, and then the other. NO blending whatsoever, not even 1 frame.

5 & 6. The look of the blocks is being worked on now. We needed to get the feel and success/failure rate first right to define the requirements for the animations. Now that we have those requirements, the animations will improve as they are tuned and variety is added.

Good response, makes sense, I just hope the Animation feedback is looked at closely as there's a wide variety of animations here.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Thanks rEAnimator
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #56
MVP

OVR: 30
rEAnimator - PLEASE work on the head tracking. Last year, I submitted a list of suggestions on the designated EA website and included that. That's just one suggestion of many since I just came back to look at this vid, again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »