Home

NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #409
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

Really liking the activity of the CPU now. Not sure if it's synergy or whatever, but the CPU is moving around so much better. The amount of pick n rolls the CPU Clips were doing was crazy. CP3 used Jordan and Blake on a lot of them. When I would try and beat Paul to the spot or go underneath, he'd pull up and knock down a shot. Great work there.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 12-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #410
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadleft
Hey Boiler,

May I respectfully ask you a question? If so, what is your deal, mission, cause, or reason? If you don't like the game, I fully understand but why have you taken it upon yourself to dispute and/or correct anyone that praises Live in a way you disagree with? Likewise why do you do look to correct and/or disprove anyone that disparages 2K while praising Live for something that you apparently feel is as bad or worst in Live? Finally why do you choose to call others "Jedi" who tend to harp on their positive experiences in Live? Isn't this what the Live forum for? In the past we used to beat people up about coming into the forums to complain about a particular game, we'd call them trolls, correct? So if WTF and others aren't coming in the Live forum to complain and you're saying there wrong when they point out positives, what exactly are they supposed to do here?

Again, I am trying to be respectful, not try to start a fight or anything else. I told WTF I don't post here anymore because of such things and so definitely I definitely am not looking to get into any of that now? My only motivation is curiosity as to what YOU would have those of us that like Live to do.

As to your point of doubling down on Jordan, is it not possible that WTF or whoever else just isn't proficient at post defense enough to guard him and like the Clippers would in real life, if the found DJ's man unable to guard him and he got easy bucket after easy bucket, they'd feed him to death? I ask because I don't have that experience as a matter I haven't found the need to double anyone in the post at this point. That is only because I took the time and played it over and over until I realized what I was doing wrong defensively in the post. Honestly I think it's a flaw brought on by the crap cameras they've put in the game. I say this because it appears (at least for me) that where I thought I was defensively on the floor isn't exactly where I was on the floor, the camera angles and zoom levels were throwing me off. I stopped and went into replay and was able to move the camera around to see that the position I was attempting to be in wasn't actually where I was.

Let me know your thoughts if we can discuss this respectfully and thanks in advance. (sorry for the typos, no time to proofread)

Thank you for this post. Thank you again

Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #411
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac0322
I can agree with you on the defensive positioning. Not trying to bring the other game in this but their players are inaccurate too. They seem too big. I feel a center can take two steps and cover all of the space on the floor. Always feels clogged even if you get by a defender. Both games defentely have their pluses and minuses. They both have a lot of work to do.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Emotionally, I agree that they seem too big. But only in girth. Many NBA players can get to the basket in less than three steps on a layup. They do cover a lot of ground. But that's a discussion for another day and forum...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #412
MVP

OVR: 14

Had the game 2 days from gamefly. I can't stop the cpu from getting baskets in the paint. Feels like I have no D. Plus how I call plays for a certain player?

PSN Brandon26ms
Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #413
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Hey Boiler,

May I respectfully ask you a question? If so, what is your deal, mission, cause, or reason? If you don't like the game, I fully understand but why have you taken it upon yourself to dispute and/or correct anyone that praises Live in a way you disagree with?
I take issue with people painting false virtue at the expense of unfairly comparing them to other games. Especially games that they clearly don't match in quality. But really, I just really HATE when folks excuse bad games just because that game is not some other game. I don't love Backbreaker because it's not Madden. I hate that game because it sucks. I don't love PES because it's not FIFA. But I do like PES. And I like FIFA. I don't use the fallacies of one game to justify virtues of another. That is the kind of mentality that I feel has Madden suck on slow boil and it pisses me off. But, to me, when NFL 2K pushed EA to come strong with Madden 2001, I was hoping for the same out of Live and the competition it was getting. No dice. So, now, it's at a stage where the fans have to demand perfection for them to move an inch. Excusing lackluster facets of the game because another game in any way gets me going.

Quote:
Likewise why do you do look to correct and/or disprove anyone that disparages 2K while praising Live for something that you apparently feel is as bad or worst in Live?
If my goal was to defend 2K, I'd be on that forum. There are enough issues in that game to warrant enough discussion on that forum. So why does it come here? It's one thing to say Live does something well and that you like it. But it doesn't stop there. Then you compare it to the game that does it as well, if not better, then that smacks of the EA double standard. If EA Sports is the gold standard sports label, I expect much more.

Quote:
Finally why do you choose to call others "Jedi" who tend to harp on their positive experiences in Live?
Because they repeat it so much, it feels like brainwashing attempts. I mean, it's REALLY repetitive. It's like someone struggled to find the right positive phrase, came up with, "it's a solid foundation", and just can't get past it.

Quote:
Isn't this what the Live forum for? In the past we used to beat people up about coming into the forums to complain about a particular game, we'd call them trolls, correct? So if WTF and others aren't coming in the Live forum to complain and you're saying there wrong when they point out positives, what exactly are they supposed to do here?
If we call folks trolls for complaining, then half of the posters that are in the Madden and NBA forums are trolls. Trolls are the ones that are downright hateful, disrespectful, repetitive, and irrational. And if you've noticed, even if my opinion of the game is not favorable, I've never launched some hate campaign of the game. When someone points out a positive, I've have not said they were wrong. The worst I've done was ask why they felt one way or another in the face of a point that would contradict their point. I've been over this already. I've also said, I don't agree with some things like the point of spacing.

Quote:
Again, I am trying to be respectful, not try to start a fight or anything else. I told WTF I don't post here anymore because of such things and so definitely I definitely am not looking to get into any of that now? My only motivation is curiosity as to what YOU would have those of us that like Live to do.
Compliment them for what they do right. Don't gloss over what is done wrong. Of you are going to give lip service to the good, don't talk about the bad in passing. It devalues quite a bit of the game that needs to be addressed. On post of gripes, versus ten posts of "it's a solid foundation" gets lost in a hurry. When someone else steps up and calls out the bad, don't come at them like they don't want to see the game do well. Or that they don't play the game. Or that they don't know basketball.

Quote:
As to your point of doubling down on Jordan, is it not possible that WTF or whoever else just isn't proficient at post defense enough to guard him and like the Clippers would in real life, if the found DJ's man unable to guard him and he got easy bucket after easy bucket, they'd feed him to death?
I'm sorry, but WTF should be able to just hold his position against Jordan, and not have to worry about doubling. He's not that good even with his unworldly physical gifts.

Quote:
I ask because I don't have that experience as a matter I haven't found the need to double anyone in the post at this point. That is only because I took the time and played it over and over until I realized what I was doing wrong defensively in the post.
I hear you. It is just unsettling to continue to hear how you can't rely on even basic basketball knowledge to succeed in the game. We've heard it time and time again how you have to "learn how to play Live" to get the most out of the game. Whatever happened to just knowing how to play basketball? The sad thing is that I agree with them. And that's not a good thing.

Quote:
Honestly I think it's a flaw brought on by the crap cameras they've put in the game. I say this because it appears (at least for me) that where I thought I was defensively on the floor isn't exactly where I was on the floor, the camera angles and zoom levels were throwing me off.
Broadcast camera is broadcast camera. It works for some and not for others.

Quote:
I stopped and went into replay and was able to move the camera around to see that the position I was attempting to be in wasn't actually where I was.

Let me know your thoughts if we can discuss this respectfully and thanks in advance. (sorry for the typos, no time to proofread)
I feel that your post was 100% respectful and I hope this reply was as well. If not, let me know and I'll rephrase and try to correct it.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 12-14-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #414
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Anyway, this game is getting better by the day. A few of you I've spoken with about the commentary, its actually pretty darn good in dynasty mode.

They reference games that you just played, trades around the league, leaders, etc. It all flows really well.

I'm looking forward to each game, trying to strategize, and figure out how to stop a specific guy. Its a real good feeling when you execute your strategy and it works.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #415
Rookie

OVR: 5

Hey Boiler,

First of all kudos for a great post and I can see your points. For the most part I can to some degree agree with you, except for it doesn't really bother me if someone gets effusive with the praise. I also see that there are those that go overboard in both forums. However, it is my opinion that the few people that do praise Live at OS don't fall in that category.

I think they, like me, have found something in the game that promotes the things they like about basketball and they're wanting to other like minded people about it. For example, my opinion of Live is that the things it does wrong, it REALLY does them wrong but those are things I don't value in a basketball game anyway, so it is exciting to find that the things it does right are exactly the things I value most. That said I don't thing anyone would disagree, including the devs, that 2K is the Gold Standard, so by comparing the two, at least for me, it's to say hey here is one thing I like better about Live than 2K. In essence what I'm attempting to say when I compare them is: if only Live or 2K could do all the things that 2K does but do this one thing or two things like Live then you'd have my ideal game.

For instance, for me, I don't like how it feels to play 2K. When I play I, apparently unlike most fans, want it to feel like I have had a brain transplant with the player I'm controlling, like I have his body and athletic gifts but my mind is controlling them. 2K, to me, feels more like watching that player from afar with a headset that I can speak into his ear and tell him what I want him to do, but sometimes he ignores me, and sometimes he just does what he wants to do without even waiting for me to make my suggestion. If you read my impression of Live I alluded to that and my fear that EA will cave into the fans and get more like 2K in that respect. In my opinion I already see aspects of Live that are in that direction that was never like that in Live before. Now even though I want that one thing to stay about Live that doesn't mean that I want Live to continue down this graphical path, or animation style, feature set, depth of control, and so much more. Do you follow what I'm saying?

Here's the other thing if I must choose, I'd take that feeling of control over most of the other stuff but I'd love to have it all. Another thing is I feel 2K's gameflow/ game momentum system is a bit heavy handed. They do represent the ebbs and flow of a regular game but in real life you tend to see an action cause the swing in momentum, IMO 2K's system tends to swing the momentum inexplicably, like I'm shooting lights out then all of the sudden I am not, it didn't happen because the defense changed, or they put they're top defender on my hot shooter, or something else, it just goes that the same wide open shot I've been hitting at a 75% clip all of the sudden start sinking at a 30% clip. I think it is this that makes people think 2K is scripted because yes, 2K got the momentum swing part right but they left out the why it swung part. This is something else that is a high value aspect of the game for me and one I'd choose over all the other things.

So if indeed there are only two things Live does better than 2K, but those two things are the most important thing in the videogame basketball world to me, I'd end up choosing Live over 2K. That actually is why I like Live.

Finally I feel there is enough coverage of Live's shortcomings that I don't need to harp on that but I do want to speak on it's positives before the whole games gets a reboot and we end up with EA's NBA 2K. That's why I, and I suspect a few others harp on the good and try to get others to recognize those few things that are worthy of keeping too so that our voice says: hey it ain't all bad EA, you got a good start (foundation) now, the last I checked no one lives in a foundation so you got to build an entire house on top of this foundation. In other words, good start but you have so much further to go.

Can you see my point of view Boiler?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #416
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
For example, my opinion of Live is that the things it does wrong, it REALLY does them wrong but those are things I don't value in a basketball game anyway, so it is exciting to find that the things it does right are exactly the things I value most.

I think it's great you and WTF and Nick are enjoying the game, but I find it hard to read that the "things it does wrong I don't value anyway".

1. No CPU fouls. The CPU basically never gets to the line.
2. All CPU big men are basically the same. All shoot ten foot Js and post up.
3. The CPU doesn't know it's behind with 20 seconds to go and dribbles the ball until the shot clock runs out and it loses.

I've only listed three things, but there's probably 30 I could write. Those three are absolutely crucial for a realistic game against the CPU though and lack of late game AI is completely indefensible. I don't logically see how anyone could NOT value these things. I am glad Boiler is on here pointing these things out as people have a right to know before they buy the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »