Home

Dynasty House Rule Ideas

This is a discussion on Dynasty House Rule Ideas within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #289
Pro

jkits's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Dynasty House Rule Ideas

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this earlier, but I was thinking of having more of a playbooks & playcalling challenge as well. Limiting the number of formations, formation sets, and plays per set.

The limitations are based off of the OC & DC coach skill Rating. You're allotted a limited amount of formations. Then you're allowed a limited amount of sets to spread across your chosen formations, and alloted 6 plays for each set.

Example for an OC rated between 1-6:

3 Total formations to allot
6 Total sets to allot across any chosen formations
6 plays per set to allot

...Then I would choose...

Shotgun - Spread, Trips, Empty (6 plays each)
Ace - Slot, Big (6 plays each)
I-Form - Normal (6 plays)

...Fulfilling the allotted numbers.

These restrictions I think could help create an actual play-style on both sides of the ball, forcing you to use most of your playbook. Having to strategically select plays that fit your personnel and scheme, and balancing them out as a whole.

You can only swap formations, sets & plays in and out at the beginning of each new season. I haven't tried it yet, but just an idea. what you guys think? I may need help doing the numbers etc..

Off Coordinator

Rated 1-6 (36 plays)
- 3 total Formations to allot (not including goaline)
- 6 total sets to allot
- 6 Plays per set

Rated 7-12
(48 Plays)
- 4 total Formations to allot (not including goaline)
- 8 total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 13-18
(60 plays)
- 10 total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 19- 24
(72 plays)
- 5 total Formations to allot (not including goaline)
- 12 total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 25 & Up
(90 plays)
- 15 total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Def Coordinator

Rated 1-6 (36 plays)
total Formations to allot (not including goaline)
total sets to allot
- 6 Plays per set to allot

Rated 7-12
(48 plays)
total sets to allot
- 6 Plays per set

Rated 13-18
(60 plays)
total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 19- 24
(72 plays)
total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 25 & Up
(90 plays)
total sets to allot
-
6 plays per set

Last edited by jkits; 07-25-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #290
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkits
Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this earlier, but I was thinking of having more of a playbooks & playcalling challenge as well. Limiting the number of formations, formation sets, and plays per set.

The limitations are based off of the OC & DC coach skill Rating. You're allotted a limited amount of formations. Then you're allowed a limited amount of sets to spread across your chosen formations, and alloted 6 plays for each set.

Example for an OC rated between 1-6:

3 Total formations to allot
6 Total sets to allot across any chosen formations
6 plays per set to allot

...Then I would choose...

Shotgun - Spread, Trips, Empty (6 plays each)
Ace - Slot, Big (6 plays each)
I-Form - Normal (6 plays)

...Fulfilling the allotted numbers.

These restrictions I think could help create an actual play-style on both sides of the ball, forcing you to use most of your playbook. Having to strategically select plays that fit your personnel and scheme, and balancing them out as a whole.

You can only swap formations, sets & plays in and out at the beginning of each new season. I haven't tried it yet, but just a idea. what you guys think? I may need help doing the numbers etc..

Off Coordinator

Rated 1-6 (36 plays)
- 3 total Formations to allot (not including goaline)
- 6 total sets to allot
- 6 Plays per set

Rated 7-12
(48 Plays)
- 8 total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 13-18
(60 plays)
- 10 total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 19- 24
(72 plays)
- 12 total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 25 & Up
(90 plays)
- 15 total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Def Coordinator

Rated 1-6 (36 plays)
total sets to allot
- 6 Plays per set to allot

Rated 7-12
(48 plays)
total sets to allot
- 6 Plays per set

Rated 13-18
(60 plays)
total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 19- 24
(72 plays)
total sets to allot
- 6 plays per set

Rated 25 & Up
(90 plays)
total sets to allot
-
6 plays per set

This seems like a good idea. Even beyond limiting yourself it allows for streamlining your playbook creation.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #291
MVP

mjavon's Arena

I have a bunch of custom playbooks created for each offensive style (spread, pistol, pro, etc.) where I remove the following plays:

- Four Verticals
- HB Slip Screen
- HB Draw

And then I use a second controller to assign the CPU to use the modified playbook that fits their style. Reason being, if those plays are in the playbook, the CPU will basically ONLY call those three plays on 3rd and medium/long, which makes them very easy to stop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #292
Rookie

T-Moar's Arena

Quote:

I feel like this incentivizes certain play styles too heavily. For example, I could very easily build an Air Raid, or Run and Shoot, or Triple Option playbook with these restrictions. But a Pro Style book or really anything that required play action or more than one running play per set would be basically out of the question. In a game where pro style offenses are heavily penalized as is, I feel like further hindering them is probably a bad move.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #293
Pro

jkits's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Moar
I feel like this incentivizes certain play styles too heavily. For example, I could very easily build an Air Raid, or Run and Shoot, or Triple Option playbook with these restrictions. But a Pro Style book or really anything that required play action or more than one running play per set would be basically out of the question. In a game where pro style offenses are heavily penalized as is, I feel like further hindering them is probably a bad move.
Could have some truth to that, but even a pro style does't need but so many formation sets. Shotgun, Ace (singleback), and I-Form are the 3 main formations that encompass a pro style. Which then they branch into different sets & motions. And I actually prefer a Pro Style myself, which is why I choose to make limits to some degree. But to each it's own! Wondering what makes you feel it's already penalized/hindered?

Last edited by jkits; 07-25-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #294
Rookie

T-Moar's Arena

Quote:
Could have some truth to that, but even a pro style does't need but so many formation sets. Shotgun, Ace (singleback), and I-Form are the 3 main formations that encompass a pro style.
Yeah, I feel like the hinderance lies more in the number of plays and sets than the number of formations. Pro Style offenses, unlike the others that I mentioned, are predicated on making the defense answer a number of looks from each play. If a RB starts running off-tackle, that could be an off-tackle run, a counter, or a PA Pass. A 36-play playbook hurts that objective a lot more than it hurts the others, which are basically just running the same handful of plays from various formations anyway.

Quote:
Wondering what makes you feel it's already penalized/hindered?
At least in my experience, running and passing are both dramatically harder under center than they are from Pistol or Offset Shotgun sets. Especially with custom sliders that make offense more difficult, it's a lot easier to run a non-pro style offense.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #295
Pro

jkits's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Moar
Yeah, I feel like the hinderance lies more in the number of plays and sets than the number of formations. Pro Style offenses, unlike the others that I mentioned, are predicated on making the defense answer a number of looks from each play. If a RB starts running off-tackle, that could be an off-tackle run, a counter, or a PA Pass. A 36-play playbook hurts that objective a lot more than it hurts the others, which are basically just running the same handful of plays from various formations anyway.

At least in my experience, running and passing are both dramatically harder under center than they are from Pistol or Offset Shotgun sets. Especially with custom sliders that make offense more difficult, it's a lot easier to run a non-pro style offense.
Ahh i see, yea. Under center vs shotty & pistol does feel a bit diff, esp passing. Yea, maybe 9 plays per set could make a huge diff. But trying this out is something I haven't done yet, will see if it holds up

Last edited by jkits; 07-25-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #296
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:

my issue with this is the realism. It certainly adds a fun challenge, but I have a hard time believing anyone would hire a coordinator and use their offense if it only had 36 plays and a few formations. It would also create a situation where you're calling the same play multiple times a game, which I work hard to avoid.

I like it in theory though, I would just do a different implementation, like limit some types of plays. For example, a rookie OC doesn't have a well developed deep passing game (only 3-4 plays for 15-20 yards or more), as he progresses he adds those.

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »