Home

Anyone else enjoy doing yard work?

This is a discussion on Anyone else enjoy doing yard work? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Anyone else enjoy doing yard work?

Just curious as to how many fellow OS'ers enjoy doing yard work as much as I do? For me its extremely relaxing and peaceful to get out and cut grass and trim and make the yard look nice. I just pop in my earphones, and off I go in my own little world. And then there's nothing like sitting on the back deck, enjoying a cold adult beverage while looking over the landscaping that I just completed.

My friends and family think I'm nuts because I have a nice piece of land (3.3 acres), but I do all the grass cutting with a push mower. No riding lawn mower for me. Great exercise.

Anyone else enjoy working in the yard?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
KmK
Pro

KmK's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Anyone else enjoy doing yard work?

I work on a 900 acre ranch and use a zero-turn mower. I def enjoy mowing the ditches and yards. Good time to clear your mind.

LA Kings
San Diego Chargers
San Diego Padres
LA Clippers
UCLA Bruins
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmK
I work on a 900 acre ranch and use a zero-turn mower. I def enjoy mowing the ditches and yards. Good time to clear your mind.
If I had 900 acres, I guarantee I wouldn't be using a push mower...

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

I don't have a large yard, but I do enjoy working on it. Cutting grass (I use an old school, no HP reel mower), edging (battery-powered cordless which is my favorite lawn tool), watering, pruning, picking up after my ridiculously productive pear tree, you name it...maybe not the weeding so much though, lol. It is one of the things in life where you can get a great tangible, visible sense of accomplishment after doing it. It's also good exercise and a good excuse to get a sun tan in a natural way. Not to mention a stress reliever.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #5

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

I like it, except for those real hot days. Or huge amounts of snow days.

Unfortunately yards like I have are becoming less common in the area because the city and surrounding areas are obsessed with shoving townhouses and condos in every available bit of land. I'd hate living in neighbourhoods of people I know. Either condoville or townhouse zone where your entire block can see into your backyard and kitchen.

Back on topic, yardwork is fine, especially with privacy. My yard is mostly private so it's more relaxing to do work and not have to bother with your neighborhood looking at you in old, dirty clothes. Or having nosy neighbours wanting to see everything you do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Just curious as to how many fellow OS'ers enjoy doing yard work as much as I do? For me its extremely relaxing and peaceful to get out and cut grass and trim and make the yard look nice. I just pop in my earphones, and off I go in my own little world. And then there's nothing like sitting on the back deck, enjoying a cold adult beverage while looking over the landscaping that I just completed.

My friends and family think I'm nuts because I have a nice piece of land (3.3 acres), but I do all the grass cutting with a push mower. No riding lawn mower for me. Great exercise.

Anyone else enjoy working in the yard?
You might feel different down here in South Louisiana. 100% humidity, 95+ degree heat and PUSHING mowing 3.3 acres ohhhh hell no LOL.

I have 1/3rd an acre and I have a 42" Snapper rear engine riding mower. Mowing, edging, spraying, and blowing takes me 30 to 45min tops and even that feels to long some times.

I enjoy taking the time to make my house look good & up the curb appeal but surely don't enjoying sweating my *** off in this southern heat.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

I love to work the yard personally. I can even put up with the heat if I'm in it consistently and stay hydrated. It really doesn't take much effort to make your yard look nice, but few people do it.

We have a little bit more than 1/4 acre lot. I enjoy mowing and have been push mowing since I lived at home in high-school/college (which was between 1/3 and 1/2 acre). I can get the mowing and trimming done in about 90 minutes.

While I enjoy mowing I love maintaining the flower beds and the general upkeep of the yard. Every evening after work I like to walk around the yard and check on everything. Do the roses/flowers need to be deadheaded? Any dead spots need to be trimmed off? Black spots on leaves? June bugs eating all Hell and Creation (they just started up last week real bad - need to get some insecticide)?

This past Friday we had 4 tons of landscaping rock delivered to the house. I spent Saturday from 8:30 until 3 or shoveling rock into a yard cart, hauling it to the flower beds, and shoveling it out. That was a fun day. As painful as I felt the work itself felt great.

Attached is a picture of our house. The top two pictures is from 2 years ago when we bought it. The bottom two are from this past weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19225188_10155357874883476_5416062000449041361_n.jpg (151.8 KB, 201 views)

Old 06-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

what I really enjoy is sitting in my hammock with a cold one, watching the woman across the street do her yard work, usually in a bikini.

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »