Home

Improving Kinect Sports Gaming

This is a discussion on Improving Kinect Sports Gaming within the Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40
Improving Kinect Sports Gaming

Though the connection between motion controls and sports seems like a natural fit, we’ve seen few great examples of these types of games.

Most would argue that the Wii peaked with Wii Sports, just as the PS Move hasn’t really topped Sports Champion. I have yet to play a Kinect sports game -- outside of the fitness genre -- that really captures all that is interesting about our favorite genre.

If Kinect sports games are to survive, let alone thrive, developers need to do a better job. Otherwise, this exciting technology will go down as a footnote in gaming history, a fad like the Powerpad or lightguns.

Here are five key items developers should focus on if they want to make the next (or first?) great Kinect sports game.

Read More - Improving Kinect Sports Gaming
Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Stop the Nonsense

fsufan4423's Arena

OVR: 36
It's probably going to take Kinect developers a while to make quality games, look how long some of the major company's have been doing sports titles and have yet to put out a decent game.

I just got one for the kids for Christmas, so I'm eager to test it out. Maybe I could add more feedback then.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
The Bigs was a great game for the Wii. A little bit of sports, a little bit of arcade, a lot of motion controls. I say that's a good model.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
It seems that when they try to take an existing sports game, and remap the controls into motion gaming that it just doesn't work. round peg/square hole type of deal. I think they need go the opposite direction. Start with a foundation of fun gameplay elements and motions. And from there, build on things like ratings, stats, seasons etc.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Rookie

dcal's Arena

OVR: 19
I think you are right about slowly integrating it into existing games. The technology is already in place for recognizing voice and getsures, as you pointed out. How cool would it be to point in the direction of a linebacker in Madden and call out "55 is the mike, 55 is the mike!" and have the protection automatically shifted based on your gesture and voice call.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30
For serious sports games Kinect would best be used in addition to, not replacing, the regular controller.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports »