Home

NBA 2011-2012 MVP Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2011-2012 MVP Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: NBA 2011-2012 MVP Thread

With Wade being inconsistent both concerning his health and his play the Heat definitley have needed this type of year from LBJ to be contenders. Bosh has played very well in his own right but without LBJ I dont think the Heat would be above 4th or 5th best right now in the East the way this season has gone for them. On a different note I, think LBJ is playing the closest to what we saw from Jordan when he won the MVP and DPOY in the same season. Obviously LBJ's numbers arent as good (which is damn incredible considering how well he's playing) and I dont think he's having quite the impact Jordan did that year defensivley but I don't think there's been a player (wing) who's done it better on both sides in that Jordan year. Not in posistion to look at the numbers. If Im mistaken someone point it out.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 10

*since that Jordan year.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #59
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rmb11
What do you guys think Love/The T-Wolves would have to do for Love to win it?

25.5 points and just under 14 boards on a WINNING Timberwolves team? Incredible. Those numbers are right at what Garnett's were the year he won it. (granted, Love isn't near the defensive force, and his team certainly won't win 58 games, or even the equivalent of 58 games in this schedule)
No Idea. I'd have to say if the 'Wolves can get to the 5-6 Seed

I'd give him a shot then because it's remarkable if they were to get that, with the talent they have. He'd be deserving at least top 2 Consideration.

I just don't think it's possible with the year LBJ is having.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #60
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashanova
I'd still disagree agree with him being in the top 3, I think LBJ has this down pact, he's having one of the great all time seasons, he's being incredibly efficient and he's playing on both sides of the court.
LeBron had better numbers than Rose last year.

As most have deduced, it's gonna come down to who's team has the best regular season record. I know the award hasn't always followed this format BUT in most times, this has been the case. So if the Bulls have the best regular season record, Derrick Rose wins his second straight award. If the Heat capture the best regular season, then LeBron wins it. If the Thunder ends up with the best record, Durant captures the award.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #61
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Assuming Rose keeps up this play for the rest of the way. Otherwise I'd still give it to Lebron regardless of who has the better record.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #62
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
LeBron had better numbers than Rose last year.

As most have deduced, it's gonna come down to who's team has the best regular season record. I know the award hasn't always followed this format BUT in most times, this has been the case. So if the Bulls have the best regular season record, Derrick Rose wins his second straight award. If the Heat capture the best regular season, then LeBron wins it. If the Thunder ends up with the best record, Durant captures the award.
I disagree with this. Record shouldn't matter when one player has significantly better stats than another player. As long as the records are close, you can't say LeBron doesn't deserve it over Rose.

Here are my top candidates (in no particular order) and their stats and "resume"

LeBron James - 27.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 6.7 assists, 55% shooting (77% from free throw line, 39% from three), 1.8 steals, 0.8 blocks, shares primary scoring duties, exceptional defender, shares primary rebounding duties, shares Miami's ball handling duties, carried team while D-Wade was out. Team Record - 30-9

Chris Paul - 19.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, 8.4 assists, 49% shooting (86% from free throw line, 42% from three), 2.3 steals, go to "crunch time" scorer, exceptional defender, primary ball handler, has boosted Clippers to legitimate contender in West. Team Record - 22-15

Derrick Rose - 22.7 points, 3.4 rebounds, 7.8 assists, 46% shooting (82% from free throw line, 32% from three), 0.9 steals, go to "crunch time" scorer, very solid defender, primary ball handler, primary scorer. Team Record - 33-8

Kevin Durant - 28.1 points, 7.9 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 50% shooting (84% from free throw line, 37% from three), 1.4 steals, 1.2 blocks, go to "crunch time" scorer, average defender, primary scorer, shares primary rebounding duties Team Record - 31-8

Kevin Love - 25.5 points, 13.7 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 45% shooting (83% from free throw line, 37% from three), 0.9 steals, 0.5 blocks, go to "crunch time" scorer, below average defender, primary scorer, primary rebounder, almost single handedly carrying T'Wolves to playoffs. Team Record - 21-19

Dwight Howard - 20.7 points, 15.0 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 57% shooting (49% from free throw line), 1.5 steals, 2.2 blocks, primary scoring option, exceptional shot blocker, primary rebounding duties, leads league with 20-20 games. Team Record - 25-15

Tony Parker - 19.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 7.9 assists, 47% shooting (80% from free throw line, 27% from three), 1.1 steals, primary ball handling duties, primary scorer, shares primary "crunch time" scoring duties, average defender, carried team offensively while Ginobili was out. Team Record - 26.-12

Kobe Bryant - 28.7 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 44% shooting (83% from free throw line, 28% from three), 1.3 steals, primary scoring duties, primary ball handler, solid defender, go to "crunch time" scorer, has won some games for Lakers in 4th quarter, but often shoots team out of games in 4th, doesn't utilize big men as often as should (personal gripe I have with him). Team Record - 23-16

Cincinnati Reds

UNC Tarheels

Twitter: @st0rmb11

PS4
Old 03-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #63
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

OVR: 7

i said lebron earlier and i still believe he should get it but im starting to think that if there is any other player that should be seriously consėdered for the award its kevin love.. i know durant is having is usual stellar season and he has made some strides defensively but love's game an his impact on a REALLY young team in the western conference (a fact which shouldnt be glossed over) is starting to impress me more & more.. its not so much his numbers but the competition hes operating against at his position plus the team at this moment i think is in the 8th spot so the #'s are starting to translate to wins which seems to refute the logic that most analysts were using to explain why he isnt a franchise player
Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #64
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramachild11
i said lebron earlier and i still believe he should get it but im starting to think that if there is any other player that should be seriously consėdered for the award its kevin love.. i know durant is having is usual stellar season and he has made some strides defensively but love's game an his impact on a REALLY young team in the western conference (a fact which shouldnt be glossed over) is starting to impress me more & more.. its not so much his numbers but the competition hes operating against at his position plus the team at this moment i think is in the 8th spot so the #'s are starting to translate to wins which seems to refute the logic that most analysts were using to explain why he isnt a franchise player
Well I think they use that argument because he put up similar numbers last year and they were still one of the worst teams in the league. The team is more competitive this year because the rest of the team is finally starting to figure things out and while Rubio continues to struggle shooting the rock, between him and Ridnour, they finally have PGs that do a nice job of setting up teammates.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »