Home

2016-17 NBA MVP

This is a discussion on 2016-17 NBA MVP within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who will win MVP?
James Harden 13 29.55%
Russell Westbrook 22 50.00%
Kawhi Leonard 6 13.64%
Lebron James 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #273
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2016-17 NBA MVP

https://www.facebook.com/nba/videos/10155316028843463/

Ridiculous video. Looks like a career highlight rather than a single season. Agree or disagree with the MVP award, but everyone has got to respect how hard this guy plays. Chasing boards, loose balls, hustle blocks, his motor is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #274
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Voting wasn't nearly as close as I expected. Westbrook and Harden were way ahead, and Harden wasn't even close to Westbrook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kawhi Leonard contributed the most to his team's fortunes and was the most outstanding player of the season. You look at some of the voters though, some of these people don't know any Xs and Os. Operation Sports bloggers would have more credibility.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #275
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Kawhi Leonard contributed the most to his team's fortunes and was the most outstanding player of the season. You look at some of the voters though, some of these people don't know any Xs and Os. Operation Sports bloggers would have more credibility.
Isn't that subjective, though?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #276
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Isn't that subjective, though?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I do favor guys who play a complete game like Leonard does. He doesn't take shortcuts even though he is unbelievably talented. He'll make the simple reverse pass and cut away or he'll defend a back-cut expertly.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #277
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

I may be alone here, but I don't see how you could go with Westbrook over Harden this year.

Seems like most people are just hyped about the averaging of a triple double for the season, so much so that I'm starting to think they just wanted to give him the award to capitalize on his marketing last season to create another "star"

I legit asked a guy yesterday if Westbrook averaged a triple double and the Thunder finished 9th and missed the playoffs, should Westbrook be MVP. He said "YES"....without hesitation.

As it stands, there were 9 teams that finished with a better record than Thunder. Winning is pretty important "stat" that I think should be taken into consideration.

On the other end, Harden finished with the third best record. And for all the talk of Westbrook averaging a triple double, Harden was less than two rebounds away from averaging a triple double himself. He just didn't have guys letting him get rebounds so he can get it.

Seriously, if you watched them play, it looks like they are sacrificing their own numbers so Westbrook can get his. Then I looked it up, and saw pretty much every players rebounding percentage declined as the season wore on for OKC...except for Westbrook.

On top of that Harden contributed more points to his team (per game) than Westbrook did. All this while shooting something like 400 less shots on the year total. Put another way, it woulda taken 20 additional games of Harden shooting and Westbrook not taking ANY shots for the shot attempts to even out. Harden owned a better true shooting percentage as well.

Then to top it off, Harden lead the league in win shares this season. For those of that may be unfamiliar, that number basically tells you how many wins each player on a team are responsible for. Harden was number one, Westbrook finished fifth. That literally calculates the value of a player to their team. Harden made the Rockets 15 games better. Westbrook 13.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think he had an amazing season and he's a hell of a player. I don't even care about Harden like that.

I just think they got it wrong this year...And I don't see how one can look at all of that and still think Westbrook was the MVP this season.

I'm done now. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 06-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #278

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
I may be alone here, but I don't see how you could go with Westbrook over Harden this year.

Seems like most people are just hyped about the averaging of a triple double for the season, so much so that I'm starting to think they just wanted to give him the award to capitalize on his marketing last season to create another "star"

I legit asked a guy yesterday if Westbrook averaged a triple double and the Thunder finished 9th and missed the playoffs, should Westbrook be MVP. He said "YES"....without hesitation.

As it stands, there were 9 teams that finished with a better record than Thunder. Winning is pretty important "stat" that I think should be taken into consideration.

On the other end, Harden finished with the third best record. And for all the talk of Westbrook averaging a triple double, Harden was less than two rebounds away from averaging a triple double himself. He just didn't have guys letting him get rebounds so he can get it.

Seriously, if you watched them play, it looks like they are sacrificing their own numbers so Westbrook can get his. Then I looked it up, and saw pretty much every players rebounding percentage declined as the season wore on for OKC...except for Westbrook.

On top of that Harden contributed more points to his team (per game) than Westbrook did. All this while shooting something like 400 less shots on the year total. Put another way, it woulda taken 20 additional games of Harden shooting and Westbrook not taking ANY shots for the shot attempts to even out. Harden owned a better true shooting percentage as well.

Then to top it off, Harden lead the league in win shares this season. For those of that may be unfamiliar, that number basically tells you how many wins each player on a team are responsible for. Harden was number one, Westbrook finished fifth. That literally calculates the value of a player to their team. Harden made the Rockets 15 games better. Westbrook 13.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think he had an amazing season and he's a hell of a player. I don't even care about Harden like that.

I just think they got it wrong this year...And I don't see how one can look at all of that and still think Westbrook was the MVP this season.

I'm done now. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I pretty much feel the same way. But hey, it's just a regular season award, and like you said, voters (journalists) are taking into account what makes the best story as well. Otherwise LeBron would have like 10 MVPs.

And it's not like this season came completely out of the blue from Westbrook. People on this site were predicting he'd average a triple-double as soon as it was announced that KD was leaving.

Either way, he got destroyed by Harden in the playoffs, then KD wins the Finals MVP. I'm fine with giving him a Steve Nash MVP award.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #279
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28
2016-17 NBA MVP

I just wanna respond to the winning part of the argument. Is 47-35 really that bad that Westbrook shouldn't get it? Why does this award always have to be a guy from one of the top teams? I think 47 wins is solid enough when you have the season he had and you're basically the only option on your team.

I'm not saying Harden did or didn't deserve it either... It's just that I keep hearing people bring up that side of the argument like he didn't win enough and I'm like... 47 wins isn't that bad. Did any of us really expect OKC to win more than that after they lost Durant and Ibaka?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited by z Revis; 06-29-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #280

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
I just wanna respond to the winning part of the argument. Is 47-35 really that bad that Westbrook shouldn't get it? Why does this award always have to be a guy from one of the top teams? I think 47 wins is solid enough when you have the season he had and you're basically the only option on your team.

I'm not saying Harden did or didn't deserve it either... It's just that I keep hearing people bring up that side of the argument like he didn't win enough and I'm like... 47 wins isn't that bad. Did any of us really expect OKC to win more than that after they lost Durant and Ibaka?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I think people bring it up because there is a long history of MVP voters taking W/L record heavily into account when voting. Over the past 35-40 years, the MVP almost always goes to a guy on a 60+ win team, #1 or #2 seed. Pretty sure no one has won the MVP with that few wins since the 1970s.

This year was different because you had 2 super teams, the power of the triple double, and the "Westbrook overcame the odds after being betrayed by KD" narrative.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »