Home

What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall?

This is a discussion on What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2024, 09:38 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall?

We've seen teams draft QB's over and over in the 1st round and the hit rate isn't even 50%. At this point, I'm of the belief you just take the best overall talent available at your 1st pick, then go by need after that. So, with that, keep Fields and either trade it away if you can load up on other high picks, or just go with Harrison, or whoever you deem the most talented player, first, then go with your need on the OL next.

I would absolutely love to see a team go with this philosophy for a few years and draft their QB mid-round, develop him for a few years while they load up on more for sure targets at other key positions like the OL, DL, WR, and CB.

― Plato
Old 01-03-2024, 10:10 PM   #18
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
That's a good question, but likely much lower than the trade value is for the 1st overall pick.

My worry though is that I truly do want Marvin Harrison Jr but I don't see him slipping past Arizona if they draft 2. That is unless you think they are willing to trade Murray (a possibility of course) so I'm not even sure if you look to make a trade or just actually draft the best WR of his class and call it a day.

If NE or WASH end up at 2, that changes things greatly since there is a very high chance id think they want a franchise QB.

I’m a commanders fan and I have no idea what to expect if we end up with the second pick. A new GM and new coach are coming. I’d hope our new ownership would hire someone with a good plan on what to do with Howell. I think the fan base is largely split on keeping him or trading him and grabbing a new QB.

That logic has to scare teams drafting around us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2024, 10:11 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I saw it speculated somewhere that Fields would get north of $40M a year on his next contract. Is that right? I know QB deals are absurd, but that seems like an awful lot for someone who hasn't consistently shown he can be the guy yet.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:40 PM   #20
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I saw it speculated somewhere that Fields would get north of $40M a year on his next contract. Is that right? I know QB deals are absurd, but that seems like an awful lot for someone who hasn't consistently shown he can be the guy yet.
If Giants' quarterback Daniel Jones can command a $40M average annual value extension against a $224M salary cap, Justin Fields should fetch at least that much if not more in a hypothetical 2024 contract extension with the Bears against an expected $240M salary cap. I would argue Fields has already proven much more on NFL fields than Daniel Jones has (albeit that is not a high bar to clear; I still think the Daniel Jones draft pick was moronic, much less the doubling-down contract extension).

The Bears will be correct to not offer Fields such an extension this offseason; there's no reason to. The team has control of Fields' rights for 2024 already, and if they really want him they will have the opportunity to exercise the fifth-year team option in his contract. After that, if they're still on the fence, they'll have at least one franchise tag year which won't be outrageous (the franchise tag value only gets truly ridiculous when used multiple times on one player).

Whether the Bears exercise the fifth-year option this offseason will be telling. The deadline for that next year is actually after the conclusion of the 2024 NFL Draft, so unless the Bears are really set on Fields I would not expect them to exercise it until after Round 1 at the earliest to maximize trade leverage on that draft pick.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 01-03-2024 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:06 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I didn’t realize Jones made more than $40M a year. QB deals really are absurd.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2024, 12:52 AM   #22
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

I still just don't know how much of the Bears struggles on offense are Fields and how much are the team/situation.

If you go to YouTube and look (I don't encourage anyone to actually do this - they're still Bears clips after all) at any random "every throw from a game" video from 2021, he's almost a different player. Statistically it winds up similar to what he's still doing (which isn't what you want to see) but he looks so much more decisive in his throws. Then Nagy gets fired as expected, Eberflus and Getsy come in, and Fields...starts hesitating? I don't know if it's something they coached or if Fields started overthinking or doubting himself or the receivers, but there's a clear difference in how he's played the last two years vs his rookie year.

Would he be better in a different offense, be it on the Bears or elsewhere? Is what he is now all he was ever going to be in the NFL? I don't watch enough college to say for sure that Caleb, Drake, or anyone is a better or worse fit for the team though.

Justin's an easy guy to root for though and maybe I'm fooled by the flashes he's been showing for three years, but I wouldn't hate it if they kept him. Does it make financial sense long-term for the Bears if this is all he is? Nah. Would trading the pick and getting several other players on rookie deals offset some of that for a few years? Enough to make it worth doing?
Old 01-07-2024, 11:52 PM   #23
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I didn’t realize Jones made more than $40M a year. QB deals really are absurd.
Wait until Dak gets closer to 60 this year.

This isn't ending anytime soon.

I don't see how you pass up on Caleb if you're the Bears. Fields can be electric but has been inconsistent.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:31 AM   #24
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Again, please keep Justin Fields lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »