Home

2017 Transaction Thread

This is a discussion on 2017 Transaction Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #273

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 2017 Transaction Thread

I don't think their gm was even at the draft either. Either way, such a horribly run franchise. Patriots even after Brady will probably run over their division because of how bad rest is.

I glad I didn't become a Bills fan. Media up here keeps forcing the Bills on everyone. Luckily I got channels from other part of country so I had options and wasn't just forced to choose a team but actually got to choose one myself.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #274
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

A few things to address by the Bills change:

1. The rumor mill started going into gear about Whaley being fired about the same time as the rumors about the scouting staff a couple weeks ago. Clearly the football ops as it pertains to the draft was handled more or less by McDermott as the flavor of this draft was quite different than what Whaley has done in previous years. Whaley has been more willing to take upside and talent that are a little rough around the edges and/or have some character flaws. If you look at the Bills draft board this past draft just about all the players fit the mold of what McDermott's been preaching regarding character and trusting the process.

2. This is not really a surprise in Buffalo as Whaley has reportedly had a rocky relationship with both Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan. Whaley has obviously been one to over extend his bounds by taking personnel decisions away from his coaches.

3. Whaley was at the draft but he wasn't made available to the media and the scouting department was made aware of their termination sometime this past week. It's not that unusual to see scouting departments see change like this. It's pretty much part of the business. It would've been impractical to fire the staff and bring in a whole new group just a couple months ahead of the draft when the talent evaluation and draft process is literally a year long deal.

4. I think most Bills fans are either happy or ambivalent about this move but the writing was on the wall really once McDermott started asserting his influence more on football matters. He originally came in with no powers as it pertains to the make up of the full roster but he's clearly won over ownership to the point that the past couple months he's been a de facto GM. I would not be surprised if the next GM of the Bills is someone that has crossed paths with McDermott in the past.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #275
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
A few things to address by the Bills change:

1. The rumor mill started going into gear about Whaley being fired about the same time as the rumors about the scouting staff a couple weeks ago. Clearly the football ops as it pertains to the draft was handled more or less by McDermott as the flavor of this draft was quite different than what Whaley has done in previous years. Whaley has been more willing to take upside and talent that are a little rough around the edges and/or have some character flaws. If you look at the Bills draft board this past draft just about all the players fit the mold of what McDermott's been preaching regarding character and trusting the process.

2. This is not really a surprise in Buffalo as Whaley has reportedly had a rocky relationship with both Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan. Whaley has obviously been one to over extend his bounds by taking personnel decisions away from his coaches.

3. Whaley was at the draft but he wasn't made available to the media and the scouting department was made aware of their termination sometime this past week. It's not that unusual to see scouting departments see change like this. It's pretty much part of the business. It would've been impractical to fire the staff and bring in a whole new group just a couple months ahead of the draft when the talent evaluation and draft process is literally a year long deal.

4. I think most Bills fans are either happy or ambivalent about this move but the writing was on the wall really once McDermott started asserting his influence more on football matters. He originally came in with no powers as it pertains to the make up of the full roster but he's clearly won over ownership to the point that the past couple months he's been a de facto GM. I would not be surprised if the next GM of the Bills is someone that has crossed paths with McDermott in the past.

Here's the article I read where Pegula says McDermott didn't "lead the charge"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...eneral-manager

"Despite Whaley being fired immediately after the draft, Pegula said McDermott did not "lead the charge" in the draft process and that Whaley "put the whole thing together." Pegula added the draft "went pretty well," but when questioned why Whaley was fired one day later, Pegula said, "We have certain aspects we need to get a little better in."

It might not be unusual to see a whole scouting department go, especially one that drafted EJ so high (and I'm a Noles fan) but letting a team of scouts whose termination is imminent still carry out the process is strange to me. It's not like a new scout team that comes in isn't going to be up on the players in the draft. Maybe their internal team evaluation but the whole situation, while probably for the better, has awful timing IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #276
binging

SPTO's Arena

While I would agree that McDermott probably didn't lead the charge in Whaley's termination it had to play a part in it. I think Pegula is a little sensitive over the power play dynamics what with Whaley having such a rocky relationship with the previous 2 coaches AND the accusations that his star player (Jack Eichel) on the hockey team basically forced ownership to fire both the coach and GM there. So whether Pegula's being completely honest or not it doesn't matter because a lot of people have been reading between the lines.

I will agree with you that the whole scouting dept. thing from a timing perspective doesn't look good.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #277

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

So in news that will make us all feel old.

The Colts signed Trey Griffey today.

Yes, the Kid's son.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #278
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
So in news that will make us all feel old.

The Colts signed Trey Griffey today.

Yes, the Kid's son.
Griffey Sr. was one of my favorite players, so, yeah, feeling very old indeed.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #279
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
While I would agree that McDermott probably didn't lead the charge in Whaley's termination it had to play a part in it. I think Pegula is a little sensitive over the power play dynamics what with Whaley having such a rocky relationship with the previous 2 coaches AND the accusations that his star player (Jack Eichel) on the hockey team basically forced ownership to fire both the coach and GM there. So whether Pegula's being completely honest or not it doesn't matter because a lot of people have been reading between the lines.

I will agree with you that the whole scouting dept. thing from a timing perspective doesn't look good.

Yeah, either way this was a bad look. Have a new scouting department with weeks to prepare for the draft or go with a lame duck one. I'd have probably gone with the new staff but I understand both sides.

Typical Bills ish. I don't think we try to be backwards, but it keeps turning out that way.

Still turned out to be a pretty successful draft in my estimation. The Whaley situation was weird from the start once Ryan was canned so this was just the late, finishing touches. We're all new now for 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #280
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Yeah, either way this was a bad look. Have a new scouting department with weeks to prepare for the draft or go with a lame duck one. I'd have probably gone with the new staff but I understand both sides.

Typical Bills ish. I don't think we try to be backwards, but it keeps turning out that way.

Still turned out to be a pretty successful draft in my estimation. The Whaley situation was weird from the start once Ryan was canned so this was just the late, finishing touches. We're all new now for 2017.
I think things will solidify itself once we get a new GM. I read an article with 10 candidates and every one of them seem VERY solid. I think if the Pegulas are patient things will start to turn around.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »