Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #1689
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

Ten years ago. The most nerve-wracking night of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 04-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #1690

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

TNT will be NHLs secondary partner. 225m deal for 7 years!

That comes as a surprise to me. Never heard them even in the running until this.

But between suddenly getting wrestling back on TNT (only reason it ever went off is because the new ownership looked down on wrestling which was just coming off the peak years), and then NHL added too, seems they're going in a new direction.

AEW is on Wednesday, and NBA Tuesday and Thursday, so they'd have Monday and Friday as possible dates for NHL. Is guess Mondays since ESPN would obviously be occupied airing MNF.

I thought FOX would be a good network to air on because of all the cross promotion they could do on MLB,NFL,WWE events. But NHL getting promotion with NBA and AEW would also be nice too, and I guess MLB on TBS promotes them too.

Last edited by Majingir; 04-26-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #1691
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
TNT will be NHLs secondary partner. 225m deal for 7 years!

That comes as a surprise to me. Never heard them even in the running until this.

But between suddenly getting wrestling back on TNT (only reason it ever went off is because the new ownership looked down on wrestling which was just coming off the peak years), and then NHL added too, seems they're going in a new direction.

AEW is on Wednesday, and NBA Tuesday and Thursday, so they'd have Monday and Friday as possible dates for NHL. Is guess Mondays since ESPN would obviously be occupied airing MNF.

I thought FOX would be a good network to air on because of all the cross promotion they could do on MLB,NFL,WWE events. But NHL getting promotion with NBA and AEW would also be nice too, and I guess MLB on TBS promotes them too.
I kind of like the sound of this. Barkley must be pumped!

If TNT is smart, they should be on the phone with Bieksa's agent right now.
Quote:
Quote:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2021, 11:30 PM   #1692

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
I kind of like the sound of this. Barkley must be pumped!

If TNT is smart, they should be on the phone with Bieksa's agent right now.
Just keep Shaq far away from the NHL. He has a hard enough time as it is with NBA players names. Talking about Draisaitl, Vasilevskiy and others will give him nightmares. He'd made Don Cherrys pronunciation of guys names seem great.

With NBCSN shutting down and NHL off of NBC, I could see a number of those people going to ESPN or TNT.

ESPN did gut their entire hockey talent a few years back, I do see them trying to get some back, some from NBC, and doing a partnership with TSN.

For TNT, its almost new territory for them. Turner hasn't had hockey since the Atlanta Flames.

From Seattle coming in next season, more fans allowed in arenas, 2 new TV deals for the NHL, and seems like a possibility of a new style of schedule and return to old 1-8 playoff format, I can't wait for next season.

Last edited by Majingir; 04-26-2021 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #1693
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
From Seattle coming in next season, more fans allowed in arenas, 2 new TV deals for the NHL, and seems like a possibility of a new style of schedule and return to old 1-8 playoff format, I can't wait for next season.
Where have you heard about a return to the 1v8 format?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2021, 12:21 AM   #1694

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Where have you heard about a return to the 1v8 format?
https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/statu...583032836?s=19

20210427_002123.jpeg

Although seems like an even worse proposal is also considered. 84 game season, and top 4 teams per division makes the playoffs (so likely the same playoff format as before, except instead of 2WC spots, it's just top 4 per division, so each division is guaranteed 1 team in the final 4).

I'd hate that. This season is the only time I like it, but from this season, a number of things played a factor, but I've completely tuned out of the other 3 divisions. A playoff format where only top 4 per division makes it, I'd have 0 reason to care about other divisions. Why would Leafs fans care what the Caps are doing? If its 1-8, then everything that happens to every team in your conference makes a difference to you because someone could be your playoff opponent, or impacts if you're a 4 seed or 6 seed.

1-8 format is fine, too bad NHL is too soft to do a pick your poison format that has become a popular fan suggestion.

Last edited by Majingir; 04-27-2021 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:40 AM   #1695
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/statu...583032836?s=19

Attachment 191980

Although seems like an even worse proposal is also considered. 84 game season, and top 4 teams per division makes the playoffs (so likely the same playoff format as before, except instead of 2WC spots, it's just top 4 per division, so each division is guaranteed 1 team in the final 4).

I'd hate that. This season is the only time I like it, but from this season, a number of things played a factor, but I've completely tuned out of the other 3 divisions. A playoff format where only top 4 per division makes it, I'd have 0 reason to care about other divisions. Why would Leafs fans care what the Caps are doing? If its 1-8, then everything that happens to every team in your conference makes a difference to you because someone could be your playoff opponent, or impacts if you're a 4 seed or 6 seed.

1-8 format is fine, too bad NHL is too soft to do a pick your poison format that has become a popular fan suggestion.
I don't have a problem with top 4 in each division making the playoffs, but I'm old and grew up with that. I was 21 when 1v8 was introduced.

That being said, I'm okay w/ 1v8 as well, but then get rid of divisions and just have 2 conferences. The format described in your attachment (you play the other division in your conference 3x but only play your own division 3x or 4x) is stupid. If you're going to keep divisions, then make them meaningful.
Quote:
Quote:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #1696
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

I dug the division playoffs for the first two rounds but I think I’m done with it now too. Gimme best vs worst seed again.

Did not see TNT coming out of nowhere. I hardly ever think of them as a network as it is, but with NBA and NHL along with their wrestling offerings (and being a sister network to TBS and MLB, I believe)... that’s about as good a sports network as you can get when you aren’t showing Die Hard marathons. Lol

I’m also interested in how the streamers fit in. Amazon, Yahoo, Apple, we hear about Netflix but not much live sports going on there, i guess Disney and Hulu are options as well with some connection to major TV networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »