Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #1753

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

Something I just thought of which could make people hate the Leafs more (yes, its possible).

Leafs are one of the (if not the only) team in the NHL with no logo on the shoulder of their jerseys.

All other teams have their alternate logo on both shoulders.

Helmet ads are here to stay, and jerseys will be getting a patch like the NBA has as well on their chest.

Are shoulder ads next? I could see that happening. Instead of the alternate logo on teams shoulders like we're used to, we see one or both shoulders having an ad on it instead.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:22 PM   #1754

Majingir's Arena

Olympic groups have been drawn.

Canada and US get to be in same group as Germany and China. So basically, only 1 game matters to both teams in the group stage.

Czech,Swiss,Denmark and that defending champ ROC team will be in a division.

Finland,Sweden,Slovakia,Latvia are also in a division.

Still no word on if NHL players will be there. A month away from preseason, surely there's a date in mind on if they're going?
Old 08-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #1755
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Sounds like NHL players will be there and NHL has carved out 3 weeks of their season for it, but I’m not seeing any reputable sources for that yet.

Thank goodness. The last Olympics was unwatchable after getting treated to the best for years. The WCoH was a fun ride but it didn’t touch US/Canada in Vancouver and the little bit of excitement hockey actually generated beyond the diehards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2021, 07:07 PM   #1756

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Sounds like NHL players will be there and NHL has carved out 3 weeks of their season for it, but I’m not seeing any reputable sources for that yet.

Thank goodness. The last Olympics was unwatchable after getting treated to the best for years. The WCoH was a fun ride but it didn’t touch US/Canada in Vancouver and the little bit of excitement hockey actually generated beyond the diehards.
Olympic hockey is at it's best when it's in hockey countries.

Salt Lake, Vancouver, Sochi were great ones. Who knows if we'll ever get a stretch like that again though.

Biased opinion obviously given how storybook it was with Canada vs USA in mens and womens hockey for 2002 and 2010, and the womens 2014 ending.

Speaking of the women's 02 game, I obviously saw the game and know the story in it, but I checked the stat sheet recently. Those penalties were seriously insane. I don't know how anyone could not call that game an attempted screwjob.

Italy,South Korea and now China just can't compare in those situations. Especially for China if we can't get fans from those other countries in attendance.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:46 PM   #1757

Majingir's Arena

This isn't good for the NHL, especially when you're weeks away from teams crossing the border again.

https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/sta...207196162?s=19
Old 08-31-2021, 10:28 PM   #1758

Majingir's Arena

Canada wins gold at the womens world hockey championship in the craziest ending to a championship game I've ever seen.

USA up 2-0 after 1, Canada ties it up.

Then OT, Canada scores, everyone celebrates, but them the refs waive it off and play continues. Meanwhile the commentators are going crazy because they got confirmation from the video truck that the puck went in. Video review confirms, and the game gets halted in the middle of the following play as goal gets confirmed.

This beats out the Hawks OT winner that nobody knew went in from a decade back.

Somewhat redemption after their last meeting at the 2018 winter Olympics. Canadas first gold at the world championship in 9 years, first gold in general since the crazy 2014 Olympic finals. Next up, the rematch in the 2022 Olympics.

What a horrible medal presentation though. They're literally rushing everyone as if they need the ice for another game that should have started 10 minutes ago.

One of Canadas players got injured during the celebration, taken to the back during the medal celebration, and returns shortly after on a stretcher as she celebrates lol.

Last edited by Majingir; 08-31-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #1759

Majingir's Arena

Sounds like the Olympic announcement could be coming as early as today.

Now the question will be, how many will be competing for their country? Olympics obviously more important than an ASG, but we've seen more and more players as of late skipping the ASG, so we'll see. Especially given how far away these Olympics will be, and more outbreaks possible.

Is Russia still competing under "ROC, but everyone still calls them Russia, including the commentators, and the networks still use the Russian flag for the team"?

Hopefully McDavid competes. This would be his first ever Olympics. Seeing McDavid and Crosby on the same team would be like the modern version of when we saw Lemieux and Gretzky on Team Canada. This might be the only time those two are on the same team as well. Don't think McDavid has played for Canada since the world juniors, and the world cup he was on Team NA.

Last edited by Majingir; 09-03-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #1760

Majingir's Arena

Just about a week away from preseason starting up and I don't think we've really heard any announcement on venue capacities, at least in Canada.

In Alberta, they're in a state of emergency again.

I know other cities have said fans will be at games, but not sure how many.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »