Home

Sound Off: Is Football (Finally) on the Rise in America?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Is Football (Finally) on the Rise in America? within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #25
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Sound Off: Is Football (Finally) on the Rise in America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil

The reason our other major team sports (namely the Big 4) are so popular is because the best players from all over the world come to play in this country's leagues. As Americans, we are used to watching the best talent in any given team sport.

The globes best players in soccer take their talents across the pond.
That wasn't what the question was about...but that is SURELY the reason why they're so popular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkdawg777
I could be in the minority though but in my opinion most American athletes like football for the sport. We didn't play out in the yard as kids because the girls were watching, we did it because that's the game we knew and loved.
This is much more sound...seriously. Well-put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil

And we will never buy into the Premier League because it holds no geographical significance for us.
WTH is geographical significance?

And I agree, there is NO WAY the EPL (or soccer in general) will ever have a following here...especially since no one from other countries that play soccer often live here....ever...and will never move here....

Last edited by fugazi; 06-24-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2014, 01:17 AM   #26
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
Thats like saying how can football games rate offensive and defensive linemen since all they do block and fill gaps.

Midfielders in soccer have different roles. Some link the offense and feed the forwards, others patrol the midfield to cause turnovers. The midfielder's role changes depending on formation and overall strategy.

I think it is good that you are giving soccer a chance and watching the sport. Try to keep watching after the world cup and try to find a team that plays in a style that you like.
Definitely will, and the comparison to rating linemen in football is a good one, though I find that more understandable and tangible than soccer players. However, I see what you're getting at, I guess my issue was more with defenders. Nonetheless, makes much more sense than it did before. I would really have to watch teams at the club level play through a season in order to better differentiate player talent and skill rather than just expect to know everything from thoroughly watching the World Cup for the first time.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxphenom7
Definitely will, and the comparison to rating linemen in football is a good one, though I find that more understandable and tangible than soccer players. However, I see what you're getting at, I guess my issue was more with defenders. Nonetheless, makes much more sense than it did before. I would really have to watch teams at the club level play through a season in order to better differentiate player talent and skill rather than just expect to know everything from thoroughly watching the World Cup for the first time.
In terms of different ratings in the NFL games for different positions (CB, SS, WR, TE, OL, etc), soccer games do the same. The FIFA series doesn't do this but I can only assume it's implied but in PES 14 if you put a 90 rated Center Back in the midfield or up top his rating drops into the 50's, conversely if a Striker/Winger put in defense.

Back to the topic at hand the WC like the Olympics gains fair weather fans during their time period and some stay following but most forget about 15 minutes after it ends. I did that for the '94 and '02 Cups, but after the '06 WC I told myself I'd like to know who these guys are so I started to follow the EPL and Utd. and have been hooked since.

It felt like listening to the radio your whole life and then someone giving you all the other music out there in the world. It opened my eyes and in my opinion to how flawed the US sports dichotomy is. The constant commercials breaks, the crappy teams being rewarded (top draft picks in NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL,). These things just started to rub me the wrong way. I pretty much stopped following the NFL outside of NY Giants and marquee matchup games. Tank in the Premier League, Serie A or Bundesliga and prepare for your favorite players to leave and to see your team play in the minors.

Uninterrupted flow, relegation/promotion, cups and tourneys up the wazoo. Those were the first things that made me fall in love with the sport. The entire season is the playoffs, you win and you get the domestic glory and the chance to be king of the continent, It made me happy when baseball considered making the NPB Series champions play the MLB World Series champions.

I believe soccer is just on the cusp of exploding in the US. This country is very spoiled and really only likes winners and if the USMNT can make it out of the round of 16 or even the semis even though they wouldn't win it can gain the national momentum and support it deserves and give the nation an optimistic chance to win in '18.

The next thing and it could be a HUGE gamble for soccer in the US is to play the season August thru May like most of the world and go up against the NFL, MLB playoffs, and most of the NBA/NFL season/postseason and maybe some of those who are tired of watching commercials all the time or are looking for something to watch between the next game have a change of heart.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4
I'm not going to lie, this world cup has me fully hooked on soccer. Hopefully it is something that continues after the WC ends but for right now I'm just going to enjoy the ride. I have watched nearly every match possible between streaming online and watching all day at home when I have the day off. In addition I went out and got FIFA on PS4 this past weekend so I am trying to learn more about the different clubs and players. I hope I stay as excited after the US exits and the WC ends and I am even looking into going to a few local DC United matches. I guess we will see in about 3 months once American football starts to ramp up again how much my mind is on soccer.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 19
yes and no. most of the interest is from foreign born residents.
Americans watch every four years, then move on. The World Cup is an event, so a brief spike in interest is going to occur. Once its over its back to the big 4 sports.

As far as kids playing soccer, it is a right of passage in America. great for team building and coordination skills. Great to get the kids out the house, great for soccer moms and dads to catch up on town gossip. Other than that most kids will stop playing by the time they reach junior high.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #30
Rookie

BigBadTom's Arena

OVR: 0
Well I think that there always is the possible growth of the sport but there are a few things that will never change: Soccer will never be the most popular sport in the US, Soccer will never be able to pay for players more than the Premier league will and as a result, the most we could ask for is a cult premier league following in the US and a mild MLS following. Also I prefer to have the NFL grow international and spread the sport because American football world super bowl would be the greatest event imaginable.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #31
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

It is but incrementally.

I think with the explosion in sports cable networks & online streaming in the last few years, soccer has had more of a showing for Americans. Couple that with the insane marketing and advertising campaigns that go with World Cup, Olympics, etc soccer and you find more people picking it up.

But I will say this: it will never be big in the US until pros start making big money in the US. The draw for kids to play football, basketball, baseball, etc is rooted in celebrity and riches from it. Oddly enough, soccer players (internationally) make far more money than NFL, NBA, MLB,+ players, but that payload hasn't reached our shores yet; one could even make the statement soccer players are much better known internationally, as well. Until that happens, our best, young athletes will mostly be pushed towards and groomed towards other sports.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #32
MVP

UK0wnag3's Arena

OVR: 14

First question: Why do you Americans hate draws so much? What's wrong with sometimes just saying "It was a closely fought game, fair play" and shaking hands?

Back on point, yes. Every time I go stateside (as I am right now, though flying home today) I notice how much soccer has grown from the year before. As an outsider it really is noticeable. There's been a huge football maturation.
Arizona Cardinals
Phoenix Suns
Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »