Home

MLB '09: The Show Preview with Screenshots (ESPN Videogames)

This is a discussion on MLB '09: The Show Preview with Screenshots (ESPN Videogames) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #145
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: MLB '09: The Show Preview with Screenshots (ESPN Videogames)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management
If I can change my home character from short and stocky to tall and lanky in a matter of seconds (I'm using Home as a reference because it looks like they use a similar face builder), something doesn't seem right.
That is nothing even remotely close to what they have to do, that stuff is already programmed on there for you. SCEA has to re-work all the animations if they put in new player models. They can't just click a button and magically have the animations work perfectly with the new player models.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #146
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
the new player models were not put into the game this year due to complications.
With the amount of quality work that is put into this game, that answer is just fine with me. I can wait until next year.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #147
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
That is nothing even remotely close to what they have to do, that stuff is already programmed on there for you. SCEA has to re-work all the animations if they put in new player models. They can't just click a button and magically have the animations work perfectly with the new player models.
They do it with players of different sizes in the game correct? What's the difference? The tall players have proportionate torso's but still have small arms. The shorter players have it all wrong. One hurdle I can think of would be maybe the original implementation of the hand/glove/arm is separately coordinate based, making it a more daunting task.

But with the motion capture on the face being so malleable, I don't see how making the arms a couple inches longer and the shoulders closer to the body would be so difficult (or not a priority). Guess that's why I don't get paid the big bucks though.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #148
Rookie

ARMORALLL's Arena

OVR: 8

Wow I like what I've seen so far and I might as well remind people that there is still alot we dont know about the game so its useless to draw early conclusions about what will and wont be in the final version. Heres hoping for rainouts!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #149
Rookie

OVR: 4

And I'm speaking from a coding background (not in gaming though I have coded some simple games). Not in a "man why can't they do this I want it wah wah"

I'm trying to understand what the complication was. I don't think there was a complication, just a marketing decision. Fix the player models or do something else. Something else won out. That's fine by me. I'm not even to concerned with the features because I already like the game just as it is. I really don't understand how a next generation sports sim can have small arms. My computer golf game from 1995 was proportionate!

Last edited by The Management; 12-19-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #150
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
What "complications"? Getting the right body proportions should be priority number 1. It's really the only game out with this problem.

If I can change my home character from short and stocky to tall and lanky in a matter of seconds (I'm using Home as a reference because it looks like they use a similar face builder), something doesn't seem right.
because they have to re-map every single animation when re-doing the player models. Its not as simple as what you're thinking it should be.

And I disagree, the player models aren't at the top of my priority list, not when they aren't that bad to begin with. As I said, yes, I'd like to see them be redone, but I'd much rather have the improvements to the other aspects of the game that we've gotten this year vs updated player models.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 12-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #151
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: MLB 09 Huge Preview and Screens - ESPN

Quote:
A majority of the mo-cap is done from the body joints I would imagine (just guessing). A simple algorythm would remap them no? Again, using Home as an example.. I can stretch the body type any which way and all the gestures work the same. I think it's more a marketing choice rather than an implementation choice.
That is one of the more silly things I have read lately. Do you honestly believe that SCEA, knowing that the player models are not where they want to be, decided it would be better for marketing by not doing them? They have acknowledged they need fixing, have addressed the issue of why they didn't get to it this year on a couple of occasions, yet you think they are lying and purposely holding back?

Just because you have the ability to do these things in Home, I am sure it means nothing to the game. Of course you can choose to believe that it is a big conspiracy from SCEA that they just don't want to do it for some strange marketing purposes, but that would probably be doing them and the game a huge disservice. Especially since they are one of the most community involved developers around and actually listen to what the OS community offers for suggestions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #152
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
And I'm speaking from a coding background (not in gaming though I have coded some simple games). Not in a "man why can't they do this I want it wah wah"

I'm trying to understand what the complication was. I don't think there was a complication, just a marketing decision. Fix the player models or do something else. Something else won out. That's fine by me.
lol

then why are we going round in circles over the player models..

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »