Home

NHL 11 Hands-On: Yes, It's Still Awesome

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Hands-On: Yes, It's Still Awesome within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #25
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NHL 11 Hands-On: Yes, It's Still Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchibz
not bashing or anything but for a game that's suppose to be light years ahead of it's competition seems to be just implementing things like faceoffs and a little physics, been in 2k for years now. That deking controls sound awfully similar to 2k also where as you press Lb and flick the stick. but I do love the broken sticks idea. To be honest they should have focused more on defensive controls and cpu ai. You can't play d without contantly poke checking and hitting
Well...maybe it'll really cream your pants then to find out apparently that 2K11 will also have broken sticks this year.

So...look...2K has everything wrapped up here basically...oh yeah...

except for the fact that they have no game for the 75 percent of us who have no Wii.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Well...maybe it'll really cream your pants then to find out apparently that 2K11 will also have broken sticks this year.

So...look...2K has everything wrapped up here basically...oh yeah...

except for the fact that they have no game for the 75 percent of us who have no Wii.
Instead of going to grab your rifle in defense of EA, maybe admit the guy has a point.

The EA Canada team has done some good things and are making the game better each year. But, they aren't perfect and pointing this out isn't a damnation of the game or the guys creating it... it's to shed light on the issues we see (whether they are in 2010 or the demo or simply perceived). The developers can't make a better game without this feedback.

There's no question the NHL 2K10 had elements I wish were in the EA series. That's what's good about competition. You can see what "they" did and ask for something similar to be added to your game.

For instance, I loathe cut scenes. Think it's old tech and boring tech. I skip everything cut scene'd (or try to ... hate you Madden 2010!). But I wouldn't know the solution without MLB The Show's real time broadcast presentation. It showed me an option.

So, instead of going to bat for EA's defense, let's all realize we want the same things.

Quote:
not bashing or anything but for a game that's suppose to be light years ahead of it's competition seems to be just implementing things like faceoffs and a little physics, been in 2k for years now.
With all that said - I don't believe 2K has real time physics in the NHL series.

And adding physics for hits (and slowly adding it to the entire game over the course of 3 years) isn't "a little physics". It's a lot of physics and in 3 years, I'm willing to be it will dynamically change sports games forever.

The faceoff system, for all hockey games I've played, has always been weak. I'm hoping this is a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Bama83; 06-24-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
Instead of going to grab your rifle in defense of EA, maybe admit the guy has a point.

The EA Canada team has done some good things and are making the game better each year. But, they aren't perfect and pointing this out isn't a damnation of the game or the guys creating it... it's to shed light on the issues we see (whether they are in 2010 or the demo or simply perceived). The developers can't make a better game without this feedback.

There's no question the NHL 2K10 had elements I wish were in the EA series. That's what's good about competition. You can see what "they" did and ask for something similar to be added to your game.

For instance, I loathe cut scenes. Think it's old tech and boring tech. I skip everything cut scene'd (or try to ... hate you Madden 2010!). But I wouldn't know the solution without MLB The Show's real time broadcast presentation. It showed me an option.

So, instead of going to bat for EA's defense, let's all realize we want the same things.

With all that said - I don't believe 2K has real time physics in the NHL series.

And adding physics for hits (and slowly adding it to the entire game over the course of 3 years) isn't "a little physics". It's a lot of physics and in 3 years, I'm willing to be it will dynamically change sports games forever.

The faceoff system, for all hockey games I've played, has always been weak. I'm hoping this is a step in the right direction.
While you do make some good points, hammering the same few critiques over and over and over doesn't do alot of good either. There's nothing wrong with criticism, especially since this team has shown they do care, and want to listen to the fan base and make the game better.

To be honest no game will ever be perfect or 100% be accurate but seriously there's a point when you only hear so much negative from particular posters before one starts to say "ok we get it enough already".
Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 4

I agree with all above, the thing that bothers me is the talk of "well 2K had this 2 years ago, why didn't EA" because really it doesn't matter. No one cares that 2K had faceoffs in 2 years ago, EA has them in now and that is all that matters. Stating the above is not a critique, its just a bitch about how you are upset with NHL.

As for NHL 11, I am getting very excited and look forward to hearing more about it. The franchise things sucks, but I can deal with that if the gameplay is close to real life.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
While you do make some good points, hammering the same few critiques over and over and over doesn't do alot of good either.
You're probably right, but on a forum I think a lot of people feel like they aren't heard in the myriad of posts. They feel strongly, which is a good thing, and feel this would make a difference.

To them, I say bring it. I can always read the next post.

Quote:
To be honest no game will ever be perfect or 100% be accurate but seriously there's a point when you only hear so much negative from particular posters before one starts to say "ok we get it enough already".
Heh. I'd agree but ... dang, go back and play Tecmo Bowl. It's mind blowing how far we've come in a few decades, in another 20 years ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
I agree with all above, the thing that bothers me is the talk of "well 2K had this 2 years ago, why didn't EA" because really it doesn't matter. No one cares that 2K had faceoffs in 2 years ago, EA has them in now and that is all that matters. Stating the above is not a critique, its just a bitch about how you are upset with NHL.
Fair enough.

I know there is a whole EA vs 2K tension that exists ... sometimes I think that it's valid to mention the opposition and ask why our beloved game doesn't have certain features the "lessor" opponent has.

For instance, I question why we don't have authentic rinks. After this many years, we should have this. Why not. That's upsetting to me that 2K does.

Quote:
As for NHL 11, I am getting very excited and look forward to hearing more about it.
I think everyone on this board holds that sentiment ... even the "haters".
Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83

Fair enough.

I know there is a whole EA vs 2K tension that exists ... sometimes I think that it's valid to mention the opposition and ask why our beloved game doesn't have certain features the "lessor" opponent has.

For instance, I question why we don't have authentic rinks. After this many years, we should have this. Why not. That's upsetting to me that 2K does.

I think everyone on this board holds that sentiment ... even the "haters".
Oh for sure there's some tension, I agree, that arena's definately should have been upgraded by now to more represent their real life counterparts rather than every arena feeling somewhat generic. Unfortunately in 2k's case thats the best part of NHL2k10, the arenas look great yet the game isn't much fun to play. Though here's the clincher, 2k tends to have this habit of implementing things and going either half *** on them or they just end up completely broken in the first place.

Their fighting engine that everyone goes so gaga over is about as rock em sock em robots as you can get, their puck physics are over done to the point that its flat out goofy yet its praised like its the next coming of christ. Don't even get me started on their overuse of skating momentum.

Sure EA's skating needs work theres no doubt about that yet when folk suggest to make it more like 2k's I literary gag. between the one hand on the stick speed bursting and the rediculous amount of heavy stiff animations base that 2k's sports titles have and feel like. (it's actually kinda a 2k trademark at this point) I'd actually be a tad miffed if EA were to do that.

The other thing is sadly it tends to cause more flame wars than it creates actual debate and discussion, which in itself is a sad thing.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 7

Very much looking forward to getting this game. The new additions sound like they will add alot to an already excellent franchise.

Just one comment aboot playing defense like a linebacker, what other choice do you have?

You can play in perfect position and still have the puck go through your player, which gets a bit aggrevating after a while.

Plus, there is no real way to consistently defense a player standing in front of the net except by trying to check them down.

If they would add a defensive jostle button kind of like they have in FIFA, this would help greatly in defending in front of the net.

Until something like this is implemented, forwards will just have to deal with defenders trying to lay them out if they come into the Trapazoid of Doom.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBOO
Just one comment aboot playing defense like a linebacker, what other choice do you have?
That was really the point of my comment.

EA needs to fix this. I'm sure they make checking relatively easy so that people have that "OH WOW" factor (let's face it - hits sell). But, I wish they'd actually make playing proper positional hockey a bonus rather than a problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »