Home

Translating the Best Japanese Baseball Games into English (Spirits Translation)

This is a discussion on Translating the Best Japanese Baseball Games into English (Spirits Translation) within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #57
Rookie

marbury's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Translating the Best Japanese Baseball Games into English (Spirits Translation)

just sold my copy of MLB' 10 for PYS 6 and finished my pdf file (personal use only) of your translation page. thanks everybody for this awesome page.
can't wait 2 more weeks
大谷 翔平 #17
Shohei Ohtani
It's ThaGreatMuta
Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #58
MVP

myghty's Arena

OVR: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermolli
I'm watching some videos about this game and they're very good.
Haha. 5:27 has the pitcher brought in, in a Volvo...
Old 09-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Translating the Best Japanese Baseball Games into English (Spirits Translation)

just want to give this thread a little bump

so any new players try PYS recently? like it? love it? hate it?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #60
Inside The NFL

OhDaesu19's Arena

OVR: 24

I ordered this game last week and can't wait for it to get here. Have any OSers played online? If so is it possible to play a friend like in the Show? When playing online, assuming most opponents you will play are not from the states, how is the lag?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #61
Banned

OVR: 15

Still waiting for my copy to arrive.

I was reading the other thread about the game and saw a couple posts talking about no check swings in the game, is this true? Also batting options from what i gather include zone hitting, is this like the old Highheat games where you aim the L stick where the ball goes or is it simply timing based? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #62
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROCK

NotoriousReignz's Arena

OVR: 17

I love the game, still have to adjust the difficulty because I can't hit all that well.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 5

I am loving this game. Absolutely my favorite baseball game ever, gameplay-wise. I also really enjoy the atmosphere of Japanese baseball. Honestly, as great as it would be if Konami could somehow get the license to release an MLB game in the West, I would be perfectly happy if they just released english language versions of the Japanese game over here.

I've definitely struggled with hitting as well, but didn't want to drop the difficulty down too low, because I still want it to be challenging, and I want the AI pitching to be somewhat realistic. I was afraid if I put the AI pitching on a lower difficulty than Hard-, I would see too many pitches in the strike zone and not draw any walks. So for now I've settled on assisted cursor, with the assist on 1, the lowest setting. I find that with this I'm getting a reasonable number of hits per game, and still getting a lot of hit variety. Once I get a little better at batting, I'll probably first remove the assist, and then maybe up the pitching speed a notch or two.

I think if you use the zone or timing-based hitting settings in this game, you're really missing out on what makes PYS the best baseball game around. While the cursor system has a learning curve, once you start to get the hang of it, it is so rewarding and fun.

@baseball66 - it's true that there is no check swing, which is a shame, but with everything else so close to perfect in this game, it's no big deal. After my first few games, I didn't even think about it anymore.

Finally, I want to thank the guys that put together the translation site. I probably never would have played this game, let alone been able to enjoy it as much as I am, if it hadn't been for you guys.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #64
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball66
Still waiting for my copy to arrive.

I was reading the other thread about the game and saw a couple posts talking about no check swings in the game, is this true? Also batting options from what i gather include zone hitting, is this like the old Highheat games where you aim the L stick where the ball goes or is it simply timing based? Thanks.
Check swings are good for batting systems where you have to load your swing. MVP's NCAA baseball 06 & 07 'Load and Fire' batting comes to mind and it was done very well. Most the time I'd check swing in that game because the pitch movement was kinda bizarre though, and the people at MVPmods.com actually changed the ball flight on some of the pitches which you can use on a modded XBOX.

The PYS batting system gives you all the info you need to decide if you want to swing through it's "Batting Point" so there's not really a strong need for a check swing. It displays the spin, location and ball size (big for poor pitch, small for good pitch.) It sounds like a cheap arcadey thing but it's really not and you can make it more difficult in settings by changing it from normal to real. Anyway, because of this I hardly need or miss not having a check swing.

The basic function of a check swing is to keep you from swinging at pitches outside the strike zone. 2K10 initially did not come with check swings, because similiar to PYS it gives you info such as batting eye and pitch tip so the devs didn't think it necessary. There was alot of complaints so I think they put one in through a patch, but was it really usefull? I don't have that game but from what I understand you do not pre-load your swing, you just flick the stick up so I'd be interested to hear if people even use it.

Bunts do have a check swing in PYS (and it's the best bunt system ever.) Bunts definately need a check swing feature and they put one in, so that tells me the Konami devs probably don't think it's necessary to put in one for normal swings. In almost every case with things I don't like about PYS I ask myself why did the devs do it this way? And in most cases there's a logical answer. The swings are already pre-loaded so all you have to do is pull the trigger, and at that point it's tough to program in a "cancel" command.

In regards to zone hitting, no it's timing based (no aiming) and is a bit easy to hit the ball hard. You don't want to use that because it takes away the great hit variety you get from cursor batting. That is one complaint I have about the game - they could tweak zone batting but it's probably just put in for kids to make things easy. Even if it was tweaked I still wouldn't use it.

Last edited by swaldo; 09-14-2010 at 05:29 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »