Home

MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
i know this is nitpicking but i wish they would add new types of cleats and add some nike stuff or jordan or other brands like games like nba 2k and ncaa football do. It'd be nice to see guys that wear adidas have it in the game, Jeter in Jordan and guys wearing nike. Plus it would add a little variety to the player models. It really made a difference in the way the players looked in NCAA Football and Madden, i think its about time they get that stuff into MLB the Show.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

I always hated those goals they gave you so I am extremely happy they got rid of those. As well, I hope that one day they allow us to make our player how we want. I don't want limits like last year where you could only max out at like 40 power. There are 18 year olds out there that have Major league power or close and I maybe want a player lile that. I don't think Carl Crawford had 40 speed in high school, but 95 speed at 22, they need to open this up. If I want an 18 year old Albert Pujols, then I should be able to have it that way, it's my game and if I want to make it unrealistic I should be able to do that.
That being said, this mode sounds like it has taken a good leap forward.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

this looks really impressive with the overhaul, only question i have is if my player is in the majors and is a lets say 5 or 6 year vet and had 3-4 good seasons along with an all star appearance, but one season he struggles through the all star break, but the kid below him in AAA is having an amazing year, will my seasoned vet get sent down even though he has a solid career in the majors?

My Pennsylvania A&T Baseball Dynasty (MVP NCAA 06)
Old 01-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
As well, I hope that one day they allow us to make our player how we want. I don't want limits like last year where you could only max out at like 40 power. There are 18 year olds out there that have Major league power or close and I maybe want a player lile that. I don't think Carl Crawford had 40 speed in high school, but 95 speed at 22, they need to open this up. If I want an 18 year old Albert Pujols, then I should be able to have it that way, it's my game and if I want to make it unrealistic I should be able to do that.
That being said, this mode sounds like it has taken a good leap forward.
Agreed, people should be free to create any and all types of players they want without limitations.

People are excited about the sliders, but personally, what if I want a powerful player who is also fast? It seems it has to be one way or the other, which is also limiting.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #21
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
Agreed, people should be free to create any and all types of players they want without limitations.

People are excited about the sliders, but personally, what if I want a powerful player who is also fast? It seems it has to be one way or the other, which is also limiting.
Who says it is limiting?

What is stopping you from pumping points into all categories?

There is no points cap. Eventually you can have all those things if you so desire.

Sent from the dugout using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Who says it is limiting?

What is stopping you from pumping points into all categories?

There is no points cap. Eventually you can have all those things if you so desire.

Sent from the dugout using Tapatalk
Eventually is the key word.

As the guy above me posted, Carl Crawford didn't have 40 speed at age 18 and then develop into a 95 speed by age 22.

Crawford isn't a good example because he doesn't have a lot of power, but what if you wanted to create a player straight out of the draft who has plus power and also has plus speed? Is that possible? Seemingly, with having to slide attributes one way or the other, it would not be. That is limiting. Maybe not in the long run, but out the gate, yes, certainly it is.

It seems you have to choose one strength over the other .... and from the get go can't create someone who excels in both the attributes which share a slider.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #23
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

I wasn't sure about getting this game, but yup gonna go pre order it eventually. RTTS is one of the first things i'll play for awhile until the decent rosters come out, so this is pretty big sweet for me alteast i'm pumped lol
Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #24
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:

Quote:
Eventually is the key word.

As the guy above me posted, Carl Crawford didn't have 40 speed at age 18 and then develop into a 95 speed by age 22.

Crawford isn't a good example because he doesn't have a lot of power, but what if you wanted to create a player straight out of the draft who has plus power and also has plus speed? Is that possible? Seemingly, with having to slide attributes one way or the other, it would not be. That is limiting. Maybe not in the long run, but out the gate, yes, certainly it is.

It seems you have to choose one strength over the other .... and from the get go can't create someone who excels in both the attributes which share a slider.
Well, you couldn't start of well in multiple categories in previous versions either as you got less points to work with than they are proposing to offer in 11. I think the extra points will be simply a boost to some areas rather than a hamstring to others.

I'm thinking this is more in-line with some RPGs that give you bonuses to certain skills at the beginning, but still allow you to build up the other areas as well.

In other words, you aren't forced to be low-rated in everything if you want to balance you're progression. You can start higher in an area you want to jump start you (maybe you are good at stealing, so speed would net you more points when you're playing since you can rack up extra points stealing bases).

So, now you can start as a speedy contact guy (with more points than you were allowed in previous iterations) and develop his power and strength down the line without feeling like you're not making as much progress.

From reading through the threads here, it seems to be what most guys were doing anyway. Boosting a few key attributes to get themselves going and then filling in the others. With the new system, you are given extra points towards that idea.

Of course, that's just my take...obviously we'll all get a better grip on this in a couple months.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 01-08-2011 at 02:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »