Home

MLB 2K13 Announced with Cover Athlete David Price, Arrives March 5th

This is a discussion on MLB 2K13 Announced with Cover Athlete David Price, Arrives March 5th within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #217
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: MLB 2K13 Announced with Cover Athlete David Price, Arrives March 5th

David Price is a nice pick.

I've always liked this series but cannot stand the difference between contact and power swings. I wish contact could still generate a realistic amount of home runs while power was a Matt Stairs-like approach.

For whatever reason, this series does not think that way and I refuse to play a baseball game that approaches hitting in such a poor way.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #218
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH

I've always liked this series but cannot stand the difference between contact and power swings. I wish contact could still generate a realistic amount of home runs while power was a Matt Stairs-like approach.

For whatever reason, this series does not think that way and I refuse to play a baseball game that approaches hitting in such a poor way.
I agree. That's why I went with classic hitting and bumped up power a bit.
But it's still not perfect and could use some work.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #219
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH

I think the only way to fix this ourselves would be if they offered batting sliders for each hit type. That way we could juice the contact swing more and also tone down the contact success. Right now the huge gap ends up resulting in too much of an all or nothing arcade result.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #220
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH

I bump up up power, and then use contact and power for all hitters depending on situation. Instead of thinking of power as trying to hit a homerun, think of it as the ability to focus on one spot and muscle up a bit.

Basically, if I have a 2-0 or 3-1 count, no matter who is batting, I go power swing. That's because the odds of a fastball strike are greater. It is also less painful to let a breaking ball or strike in a zone you aren't looking for go. This exactly how you should approach hitting in real life.

Otherwise, I use the contact swing. The only exception would be when I have a guy hitting in the 3 through 6 spot in the order up, with 2 outs and no one in scoring position. Again, the downside of failing here is small enough that taking a chance is worth it.

Contrary to popular opinion, power vs contact has no effect on flyballs or groundballs. It effects how hard they are hit. It also affects the size of the hit window that helps decide the result.

I get very realistic results, including home runs with both contact and power swings. If you use the LS to go with a pitch, which helps you turn on an inside pitch, or keep your shoulder in to go the other way on an outside pitch, you will start to get better results with your contact swings.

I have not gotten good results ever from going up or down with the LS on high or low pitches. I do use the LS to force the ball the other way on hit and runs at times.

When you add the info from inside edge, the batter's eye info that pops up more often for better hitters, I think and make so many realistic decisions while hitting on every pitch.

I think 2K's biggest fail is not explaining it's batting system more in-depth. It's deep and super realistic, both in how it forces you to think like a hitter and the results I get.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #221
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I've heard so many people rave about 2K7, but never played it myself.
I was wondering what that game did right? What made that game so great?

There was basically a huge leap from 2k6 to 2k7. It was by no means a perfect game, but it was absolutely on the right track. It felt like baseball, it looked like baseball. It was the first MLB game that felt "next gen" and unfortunately that leap forward was followed by a step back in 2k8. The graphics weren't as good, the lighting, just didn't look as crisp and likewise there were frame rate issues and it just felt like an unfinished game. Like they literally forgot/or didn't have time to apply the finishing touches. Then I think Ben brinkmen left and immediately in 2k9 player models suffered and I don't know, it just changed drastically. It was as dramatic a change as this, I went from thinking that 2k7 was the best MLB game to date, to spending one month with 2k8 before getting a ps3 and the show. And I'm not a show "fanboy" I'm a MLB fanboy and you better believe I want nothing more as far as gaming goes, then two have two great, competing MLB games to choose from, from year to year. So I would love for 2k to turn this thing around, and I think they will. It's just going to take some time.

"than to have" damn spellcheck
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 AM   #222
Banned

Any news if MLB 2k13 will be available in Europe? As 2k11 was...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #223
Rookie

OVR: 2

Sucks it's only available on the consoles. Why did they abandon the PC version? You can mod the PC version, which has the advantage over the consoles in graphics as well. Bad move to drop the PC version, but it's all about the money.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #224
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by destructocid
There was basically a huge leap from 2k6 to 2k7. It was by no means a perfect game, but it was absolutely on the right track. It felt like baseball, it looked like baseball. It was the first MLB game that felt "next gen" and unfortunately that leap forward was followed by a step back in 2k8. The graphics weren't as good, the lighting, just didn't look as crisp and likewise there were frame rate issues and it just felt like an unfinished game. Like they literally forgot/or didn't have time to apply the finishing touches. Then I think Ben brinkmen left and immediately in 2k9 player models suffered and I don't know, it just changed drastically. It was as dramatic a change as this, I went from thinking that 2k7 was the best MLB game to date, to spending one month with 2k8 before getting a ps3 and the show. And I'm not a show "fanboy" I'm a MLB fanboy and you better believe I want nothing more as far as gaming goes, then two have two great, competing MLB games to choose from, from year to year. So I would love for 2k to turn this thing around, and I think they will. It's just going to take some time.

"than to have" damn spellcheck
THIS.

MLB 2K13 graphics look PS2-ish, I'll pass on baseball again this year. Needing a gimmick to sell a game instead of making a better game is not the way to go. I wish The Show was for Xbox those graphics/gameplay look GREAT. I miss the 2K7 days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »