Home

EA is the 'Worst Company In America'

This is a discussion on EA is the 'Worst Company In America' within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: EA is the 'Worst Company In America'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
1. The NFL is keeping you from what you really want because they chose to award EA with an exclusive license.
Both EA and the NFL are keeping me from what I really want because EA was asking for an exclusive license before it became exclusive. People have posted actual emails form high ranking EA officials stating just this. They are both at fault. I blame both for no competition. And EA /Tib is entirely responsible for the game that they produce.

Quote:
2. And what you want apparently doesn't exist and you acknowledge it isn't alone in that category. There are games I want that simply aren't available. You live without and hope someday they'll come out, but if not oh well.
Still doesn't excuse EA/Tib for misleading marketing and producing a very sub par product.

Quote:
Of course Moore is going to address the poll publicly since it is, for some reason, making headlines.
Isn't that the whole point. The poll has meaning because it's getting publicity. Enough for someone in Peter Moore's position to feel they have to address it. And he did a really poor job of addressing it. The poll had enough impact to get EA's attention.

With enough bad publicity, even with a psuede-monopoly, sales numbers potentially can decrease enough to make a difference.

Quote:
Consumer rights? If EA was forcing people into their games then maybe, but when the consumer has the ability to chose whether or not they want to use EA's services and products I don't see how they're infringing on anything.
They are the only ones producing an NFL video game. They did request to have an exclusive license. They have fallen very short on producing a good, realistic NFL video game. So I say they are keeping me from having a good, realistic NFL video game. People have the right to be unhappy with that. People have the right to be unhappy with the misleading marketing. People have the right to be unhappy with the "remove this feature, add it back in a couple of years as new". EA/Tib is responsible for the state that Madden is in. EA is responsible for the Business model they choose to deploy. If they produced a better (and much more realistic) product (madden) I wouldn't have a problem with EA/Tib. But they have pretty much screwgied this entire console gen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Consumer rights? If EA was forcing people into their games then maybe, but when the consumer has the ability to chose whether or not they want to use EA's services and products I don't see how they're infringing on anything.
I have private business , small but still got one. If i try to do any of that , government(or whoever) would close my shop long time ago in a heartbeat...And even if they don't i'll get sued left and right.

And, in a way they are forcing consumers (again in a way) where else you can get football game or hockey, for example? That's all what i buy from them(and i am still honest about it , since i buy it new), while i'm avoiding Origin like a plague.

When consumer buys their product , he doesn't sign on to be treated like a sheep or being called homophobes.It's a business and both side have rights.Something that most (if not all ) gaming companies are ignoring it nowdays.

Again, it still doesn't beat BoA taking away homes from people thru falsified mortgage documents, but it's multimillion dollar business with completely shady operations model and they deserve at least to be there on that poll.

Last edited by tariq071; 04-11-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #67
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
This poll only proves to me how screwed up our priorities are. There's companies out there taking people's money, destroying their credit, others are in pain and even losing their lives because of healthcare.... yet, a company that simply makes video games for a hobby is the worst? GTFO

I would be interested in seeing a similar poll on a site like CNN. I bet EA wouldn't even make it in the Top 10. I prefer to think that a bunch of booger eaters, living in their mom's basement stuffed the ballots, rather that us being this pathetic as a society.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 11

Though I don't like him, I have to give him his due: Peter Moore is the ultimate pied piper, hands down.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #69

OVR: 34

In his written response, Moore throws all these numbers out there on how many people are registered on Origin to tens of millions playing "free-to-play" games. I actually like some of his philosophies, but he has this thing with always referring to stats. He did this with EA Sports and always referenced the metacritic scores on Madden, claiming that showed the game was above average.

However, if he can do that then he should also be able to reference the fact that the company was voted the worst. By no means do I think EA is the worst company out there, but they certainly are under-performing.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #70
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Both EA and the NFL are keeping me from what I really want because EA was asking for an exclusive license before it became exclusive. People have posted actual emails form high ranking EA officials stating just this. They are both at fault. I blame both for no competition. And EA /Tib is entirely responsible for the game that they produce.

Still doesn't excuse EA/Tib for misleading marketing and producing a very sub par product.
Misleading marketing? Actually, if you guys want to talk about "rights" it is their right as a business to produce their own product however they want with whatever stipulations they want. Subpar product? Since this is wholly focused on Madden (again a small drop in the bucket) I can't say I have any experience with the quality of the product, but that's their right to do so. And it keeps selling so there must be more right than not.

Regardless, it makes them neither a bad nor good company in the context of this poll.

Quote:
Isn't that the whole point. The poll has meaning because it's getting publicity. Enough for someone in Peter Moore's position to feel they have to address it. And he did a really poor job of addressing it. The poll had enough impact to get EA's attention.

With enough bad publicity, even with a psuede-monopoly, sales numbers potentially can decrease enough to make a difference.
SimCity's launch. That is bad publicity. This poll? It'll be forgotten by the mass media consumers by tonight. Its making its rounds across the media, but that doesn't mean anything. There will be a number of people who won't even know who EA is and for the majority of people that do know they'll simply laugh at how ridiculous the whole thing is.

Quote:
They are the only ones producing an NFL video game. They did request to have an exclusive license. They have fallen very short on producing a good, realistic NFL video game. So I say they are keeping me from having a good, realistic NFL video game. People have the right to be unhappy with that. People have the right to be unhappy with the misleading marketing. People have the right to be unhappy with the "remove this feature, add it back in a couple of years as new". EA/Tib is responsible for the state that Madden is in. EA is responsible for the Business model they choose to deploy. If they produced a better (and much more realistic) product (madden) I wouldn't have a problem with EA/Tib. But they have pretty much screwgied this entire console gen.
Being unhappy with a company's product or service and thinking they're the worst company in the world aren't directly related. At least they shouldn't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq071
I have private business , small but still got one. If i try to do any of that , government(or whoever) would close my shop long time ago in a heartbeat...And even if they don't i'll get sued left and right.

And, in a way they are forcing consumers (again in a way) where else you can get football game or hockey, for example? That's all what i buy from them(and i am still honest about it , since i buy it new), while i'm avoiding Origin like a plague.
In a way or not they aren't forcing you. Buy it or don't. That is your option as a consumer. No option would be if it was required by law to purchase a football video game every year, but that obviously isn't the case.

What rights of the consumer is EA infringing upon?

Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
This poll only proves to me how screwed up our priorities are. There's companies out there taking people's money, destroying their credit, others are in pain and even losing their lives because of healthcare.... yet, a company that simply makes video games for a hobby is the worst? GTFO

I would be interested in seeing a similar poll on a site like CNN. I bet EA wouldn't even make it in the Top 10. I prefer to think that a bunch of booger eaters, living in their mom's basement stuffed the ballots, rather that us being this pathetic as a society.

EA doesn't get a free pass for being in the right industry. That belief is part of the problem. "You paid your $60 and you have a game that didn't set your computer on fire, pizza face - STFU and go watch Buffy reruns if you're not happy. Or get some fresh air!" It's sad that some of us are encouraging EA to roll its eyes at people who want value for their money. An entertainment company doesn't get to be bad just because it's not a health care provider, bank, or airline.

For the rest of the "dollars > everything" crowd, sales numbers don't mean a company is making customers happy. They mean instead that a company is making good economic decisions. Sometimes people eat at the closest restaurant, even if it's bad. Sometimes people watch the latest CSI spinoff or go out to see another Transformers sequel, just to have something to do. Uninspired entertainment can obviously sell, but should it? Why shout people down when they ask for something better?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #72
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli
EA doesn't get a free pass for being in the right industry. That belief is part of the problem. "You paid your $60 and you have a game that didn't set your computer on fire, pizza face - STFU and go watch Buffy reruns if you're not happy. Or get some fresh air!" It's sad that some of us are encouraging EA to roll its eyes at people who want value for their money. An entertainment company doesn't get to be bad just because it's not a health care provider, bank, or airline.

For the rest of the "dollars > everything" crowd, sales numbers don't mean a company is making customers happy. They mean instead that a company is making good economic decisions. Sometimes people eat at the closest restaurant, even if it's bad. Sometimes people watch the latest CSI spinoff or go out to see another Transformers sequel, just to have something to do. Uninspired entertainment can obviously sell, but should it? Why shout people down when they ask for something better?
Who's giving them a pass? I thought Madden 13 (game play wise) was the worse Madden this gen. I appreciated the effort in adding CCM, but it has so many features cut out and so many bugs that I actually preferred the ancient franchise mode of Madden's past. I enjoy NCAA, but it's stale too.

Both football games could use massive upgrades in almost every area. But, you know what? Even if they keep dishing out the same subpar product year after year and nickel and diming us to death, EA still wouldn't get my vote for worse company in America. Maybe it's because I'm in my 30's, but a video game in never going to matter that much to me.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »